P2 Heater Fan Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rich_wookey

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
P2 Heater Fan Problem

Dear 916 Fans

I am recommissioning my 23k miles P2 T-Spark after 8 years being laid up. I am making progress but the heater fan does not work and this has me baffled.

I have read the posts in the forum - one relating to a repair of the control unit against the bulkhead and another to straight replacement of the CCU.

I have the following symptoms and would be grateful if somebody could help me through some checks to isolate the fault.

Battery fully charged:

1. The main fuse in the engine bay is good.
2. The fuses under the dash are good.
3. The air-con switch works.
4. The air recirculation switch works.
5. The fan switch does not operate the fan on any settings
6. Putting a multimeter across the brown and pink contacts on the fan plug, I get 12.6 Volts across BOTH contacts when the ignition is OFF and about 10.5 Volts when I turn on the fan switch to 1,2,3,4 or Auto.

Now it doesn't seem right that I get +12Volts on both contacts for the fan, one should be + and the other -.

Does this point to a faulty CCU?

I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 7 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVblackandred View Post
Dear 916 Fans

I am recommissioning my 23k miles P2 T-Spark after 8 years being laid up. I am making progress but the heater fan does not work and this has me baffled.

I have read the posts in the forum - one relating to a repair of the control unit against the bulkhead and another to straight replacement of the CCU.

I have the following symptoms and would be grateful if somebody could help me through some checks to isolate the fault.

Battery fully charged:

1. The main fuse in the engine bay is good.
2. The fuses under the dash are good.
3. The air-con switch works.
4. The air recirculation switch works.
5. The fan switch does not operate the fan on any settings
6. Putting a multimeter across the brown and pink contacts on the fan plug, I get 12.6 Volts across BOTH contacts when the ignition is OFF and about 10.5 Volts when I turn on the fan switch to 1,2,3,4 or Auto.

Now it doesn't seem right that I get +12Volts on both contacts for the fan, one should be + and the other -.

Does this point to a faulty CCU?

I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks.
PS the knob on the CCU which controls the direction of air works as I can hear the flaps etc adjust behind the dash as I alter the settings.
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVblackandred View Post
PS the knob on the CCU which controls the direction of air works as I can hear the flaps etc adjust behind the dash as I alter the settings.
Update. I pulled the plug off the fan and connect the pink wire to the fan with a lead and the other side of the fan connection to earth. I was expecting the fan to run upto max speed but I just got a big spark when touching the lead to earth. This looks to me like the motor is seized. I'm surprised that no fuses have blown. More worried really, that's the idea of them.

Next question - can I remove the fan without removing the dash? Urrhhh.......

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Garage
Fan drops down after removing one 5.5mm Allen/ Hex bolt from the passenger leg well. You may be able to free up the fan!
tony1977 likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 7 Old 28-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Further update. I removed the fan itself and connected it direct onto the battery. I got another big spark but it freed the motor and now works. I put some WD40 on the upper armature component to the fan but I cannot see anywhere else to lubricate the motor, it sits in a rubber shroud in the plastic casing. I can't work out how to get the motor out given the electrical connectors.

What can you lube up on this and how do you do it? Having fitted it back it makes a noise unless its on a high speed.
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: -
I think its better to change the whole fan, rather than trying to postpone the inevitable..! :P
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
WD40 is NOT a lubricant - it is a water dispersant ( 'WD' ). Use a proper lubricant and if you choose to continue using that fan, it'll last longer than it will by squirting WD40 on it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
fan , heater , problem

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page