Broken Drive shaft - Urgent help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Surrey
Broken Drive shaft - Urgent help!

I finally managed to change the N/S lower wishbone but just as I was lowering the car I heard a pop and the driveshaft seems to have snapped at the 1st CV joint (nearest the wheel hub). At the same time the back of the shaft popped out of the diff and the car lost all its gearbox oil. My questions are (knowing in advance Im going to have to take the suspension apart and remove the hub assembly again)

- How do I get the shaft back into the diff? is it just a case of pushing it back in?
- The seal around the hole going into the diff looks dry and is most probably damaged. can I replace it from the outside?
- Anyone know where I can get a N/S drive shaft? will a TS shaft fit a 3.0?

The car is a CF2 V6 Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
You can tap the shaft back into the diff, a C-clip secures it. It might be worth fully removing your driveshaft and replacing this clip.

It sounds also like your outer CV joint has come off the end of the shaft - again this is secured with a clip, I would advise changing it. TS shaft doesn't fit a V6. You need a shaft from a 3.0 V6 CF2 model, even a 3.0 CF3 one won't work as it doesn't have the toothed wheel for the ABS sensor to pickup.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks I'll take it apart tomorrow and have a look. Excuse my ignorance but How do I secure the shaft to the diff with a c-clip if I can't reach into the diff? Also is the seal easy to replace? Thx Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO Silver Member

County: -
The clip into the diff is just a spring clip in the shape of a 'C'. It'll be obvious once you have the shaft out. You slide the end of the shaft back into the diff until it clips into place. The diff seal is easy to replace, just pull the old one out and tap the new one in.

The outer cv is held onto the shaft by a circlip. This shouldn't have come off so best to check all's well and replace the circlip as Pud suggests.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks Pud & Sprint at least I now have an idea of what I need to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
broken , drive , shaft , urgent

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page