Lost keys - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter

County: Bridgend

Member car:

gtv

Hmmm Lost keys

Evening All , Until last night i had all 3 keys for my 1999 Alfa GTV. Probably due to the onset of Alzheimer's ive lost or mislaid both red keys , i still have the brown which enables me to manually open the doors , but the car alarm is armed and im beginning to annoy the neighbours a) how do i deactivate the alarm b) cheapest way of getting two more fob keys , your input would be much appreciated , regards Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Norfolk
Unplug the alarm ECU which is under the carpet on the passenger side... Hey presto, no alarm. Send ECU to Abacus alarms and they will re-program it for about 120 and send two new key fobs. Or for about 150-175 (can't remember which) get an upgrade to an HPA alarm with choice of key fob style and the option of an extra relay so you can add remote boot opening. If you Google Abacus alarms, speak to Sam and he will give you all the advice you need. You bloke, really helpful.
AO Member

Prob didn't make that too clear... The ECU is under the stereo so take off the side carpet bit on the passenger side. And being able to open the boot using the key fob is priceless... Don't know how I managed without it.

AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
Did all the 916's imported into the UK use that type of alarm system?? The South African market Phase 2 & 3 car's used the alarm system with the red 'plip' key where the single ECU/siren unit was located above the drivers side front wheel arch with the receiver in the interior light. With this system there's a little key operated switch on the siren body to deactivate the alarm system.

With this system if you've lost the alarm key you can also deactivate the alarm by unplugging the ECU. Bit silly really that it's that easy to deactivate.
AO Member

I bought my GTV tax free in Germany as a "full UK spec" model. I believe the alarm system was changed at some point. Mine had a Meta M99 T2 ECU. The original siren has a lithium battery so it will still sound if the power is cut so not sure how it works. It is not a quick job breaking into the car, removing the carpet and disconnecting the ECU so I would imagine the alarm would sound for at least a minute or two plus the immobiliser will still function regardless of the state of the alarm. When I replaced my ECU I replaced the siren with a cheap one with no battery as most people ignore car alarm these days and if someone breaks into my car and disconnects the battery, if nobody has reacted to the alarm by that point, they probably won't.
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
The AA do a key insurance (I get it free because I have been a member for 30 years). It is quite cheap otherwise.

This allows you to claim for the replacement for lost keys up to a limit of 1000. This includes the alarm etc.

Now then, I am not for one minute suggesting that you take out the insurance then make a retrospective claim.

Worth thinking about for the future though.
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 26-08-16 Thread Starter

County: Bridgend

Member car:

gtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastpa View Post
Did all the 916's imported into the UK use that type of alarm system?? The South African market Phase 2 & 3 car's used the alarm system with the red 'plip' key where the single ECU/siren unit was located above the drivers side front wheel arch with the receiver in the interior light. With this system there's a little key operated switch on the siren body to deactivate the alarm system.

With this system if you've lost the alarm key you can also deactivate the alarm by unplugging the ECU. Bit silly really that it's that easy to deactivate.
Appreciate the help given but infortunately the GTV is an import with a different alarm system fitted from standard ......Abacus cant help ???
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
Alarm / Central Locking: Programming Remote Controls Into The Remote Receiver - Alfa Romeo 145 - 146 Forum

Have a read through that. A German import is likely to have the same alarm system as the SA cars.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
Most of the UK cars had alarms fitted in UK - early cars had the ECU in the centre console as advised above, but some later ones, such as one of mine, had the alarm behind the instrument cluster (speedo and rev counter).
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgwm View Post
Most of the UK cars had alarms fitted in UK - early cars had the ECU in the centre console as advised above, but some later ones, such as one of mine, had the alarm behind the instrument cluster (speedo and rev counter).
The Meta alarms were factory fitted and were standard fit across Europe, at least the later M99T2, which were fitted from around 1999 behind the radio I think the only alarms fitted by dealers in the UK, was the Scorpian alarm on early cars which replaced the factory fit alarm which was not Thatcham rated. Later Meta alarms (M99T & M99T2) were also Thatcham rated

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Last edited by Rich_wookey; 31-08-16 at 07:40.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
keys , lost

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page