How do I undo this? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 25-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
How do I undo this?

My pride and joy is a 2001 Twinnie phase 2/CF3 and as many other CF3 owners are finding, the flexi pipe on my down pipe is on its way out. I am toying with the idea of replacing the whole lot with the Alfaholics down pipe which comes minus the twin pre-cats. In anticipation while I had the bonnet open and tool kit out today I tried the nuts on the manifold/down pipe join. Three were easy to get to and came undone no problem. The 4th I couldn't even get my hand to let alone a spanner or socket. Any suggestions? It is the one at the back in the middle of the manifold nearest the engine.

Many thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (84.0 KB, 44 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Powys
EDIT: Incorrect info
Sorry,mine is a different engine ,doubt it applies to yours

Last edited by JRow; 26-08-16 at 08:07.
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRow View Post
EDIT: Incorrect info
Sorry,mine is a different engine ,doubt it applies to yours
No worries, thanks for looking. From what I could see on mine and from what I can gather from photos of manifolds and down pipes etc on eBay there are 3 captive bolts on the down pipe at the front and rear and right hand side as you look from the front of the car which have nuts that undo from above and one captive bolt on the manifold on the left which has a nut that undoes from underneath. It is the one in the middle at the back that I can't get to.

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
You're right about there being 3 captive bolts on the downpipe. From what I remember, I managed to get a short ratcheting spanner on the back one and used a lever on the spanner to get it started undoing. I cleaned the threads with a little wire brush as best I could beforehand and sprayed with plusgas.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 27-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
You're right about there being 3 captive bolts on the downpipe. From what I remember, I managed to get a short ratcheting spanner on the back one and used a lever on the spanner to get it started undoing. I cleaned the threads with a little wire brush as best I could beforehand and sprayed with plusgas.
Danny... Cheers. Looks like I need to invest in some ratchet scanners. Probably a silly question but I'm assuming I need a metric set? Do you know if any of the nuts and bolts are captive on the join between the down pipe and main cat? Mine are quite a mess and will probably need hacksawing off.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
13 mm I reckon. Mine just had a nut & bolts between pipe & cat.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
undo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page