3.0 v6 Emissions failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pud237
  • 1 Post By antonius

(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'99 GTV 3.0

3.0 v6 Emissions failure

I've had my GTV for only a few months, didn't realise the MOT had expired & so wasn't able to put it in for a 'pre-test'.

Last year it had an advisory for CO2....needed to be hot & fast idle.

This year it's failed the lot badly, the hydrocarbons being particulary bad. The Tester is a good guy & if he can use fast idle, all electrics on, etc to get a car through, he will, but he says it's 'miles off'. I don't have the figures.

I don't have diagnostics, but a local garage does, so I asked if his equipment could point towards a sensor perhaps, but he says unless the engine warning light is on, it won't show a fault code.

The only advice I got was check the plugs & the air filter. I won't be able to do that until the weekend, but I do have history of bits being replaced. In 2012 it had one or both Cats replaced. Between 2014 & 2015 it had the air filter & plugs replaced. Between 2014 & 2016 it's only done about 7,000 miles.

Just after I got it one of the manifold-downpipe gaskets went. The other was leaking a little. The car was running roughly, - lumpier tickover & very rich exhaust gas, but after the repair it was back running ok, which it still does.

Suggestions as to procedure to suss it out please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Your car only has one cat as its a CF2 model, I can't remember from when I was last under it but if it has a pattern part fitted then that is likely to be the problem, they only seem to last a few years at best.

We just had a 156 2 litre in with a 6 month old pattern cat fail the MOT on emissions, we fitted a 15 year old second hand one and it passed, it didn't scrape through either it was massively under the limits.
(Post Link) post #3 of 12 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

'99 GTV 3.0

Hmm.....thanks Dan.....I've checked the invoice....."sports cat" 152. I presume it can't be tested.....remove & replace?

Got another 15 year-old one?

cgc
AO Silver Member

County: Monmouthshire
What's a 'pattern part'? Is that anything not OEM?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
AO Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

GTV 916C1 24v V6

Pattern part: an aftermarket part/3rd party part created using the original part as a template.
cgc
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowey View Post
Pattern part: an aftermarket part/3rd party part created using the original part as a template.
Cheers.

I hope a alfaholics one lasts longer than six months, I was going to save up for one of there sports cats.

Club Member
Membro Premio

I've not got one suitable for a GTV 3.0 CF2 but I'm sure there are plenty in stock with breakers, they usually last the car's life.

A 152 sport cat will have almost zero platinum in it, we pay more than that just for our sports cat cells and then we still need to build the casing around them and weld them into a system.
cgc
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I've not got one suitable for a GTV 3.0 CF2 but I'm sure there are plenty in stock with breakers, they usually last the car's life.

A 152 sport cat will have almost zero platinum in it, we pay more than that just for our sports cat cells and then we still need to build the casing around them and weld them into a system.
I didn't know you did sports cat's? How much are they for the GTV CF3? How many cells are they? (As if I know what I'm talking about lol)

Club Member
Membro Premio

We only have a jig for the 156/147/GT 3.2 engines unfortunately, but to be honest we hardly do any for Alfas anyway. On a 3.2 there is little gain replacing the middle cats for sports cats. On a 3.0 I doubt there is anything to be gained at all, maybe if you had a 3.8 it'd be well worth doing. I like the original cat on CF2 cars as it has a small silencer inside it which is why the CF2s usually sound a bit sweeter than CF3s.
cgc likes this.
cgc
AO Silver Member

Don't mention 3.8, it's a dream and it's a long way off.

AO Member

County: Surrey
It might also be the lambda or the MAF so worth eliminating those before splashing out on a new cat especially the MAF as its an easy swap. The lambda is trickier as its probably fused to the down pipe by now. Do you have any flat spots when revving? that would point to the MAF. Also when you fixed the gasket did you use a sealant? if that gets into the cat it will ruin it.
AO Member

County: Worcestershire

Member car:

GTV 3.0 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-105 View Post
This year it's failed the lot badly, the hydrocarbons being particulary bad.
This could be unburnt fuel, I would check the sparkplugs, maybe a coil pack is failing. The state of the sparkplugs would give an indication of how well it's burning fuel. You could also test the coil packs with a multimeter whilst you're at it.
cgc likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
emissions , failure

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page