Aircon Re-gassing at home... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By A_Venables

(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Aircon Re-gassing at home...

I was in Halfords earlier getting some copper grease ready for fitting my new brake discs when they are delivered tomorrow and I noticed they sell aircon re-gassing kits. They ain't cheap @ £40 a pop but it claims to be good for 3 goes so it works out cheaper in the long run than the usual £50 a time at the garage.

Has anyone ever used one? Are they easy to use and how do you use them?

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
ATS or Kwik Fit will do a muh better job, ATS do a vacuum test first and if it fails there is no charge at all..

refigerant is dangerous stuff and and can give you some nasty burns if you **** it up..for the sake of a tenner just go to ATS or kwik fit..

P.S

this is the ONLY thing I go to kwik fit /ATS for ,wouldn't let them near anything else on my car.
(Post Link) post #3 of 8 Old 22-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post

refigerant is dangerous stuff and and can give you some nasty burns if you **** it up...
I'll be honest... There is a good chance of me f***ing it up!!! Cheers for the advice, I think I'll let the garage do it.

AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
I had a go at this a few years ago when I first saw them at Halfords, I couldn't get enough pressure from the bottle to fill the system on my Calibra at the time, it worked, but not for very long. I did take my old Corsa to ATS for a re gas, they found through the vacuum test that there was a leak (cracked pipe) and didn't charge me. They have the proper kit, I will be going back with my Spider soon to get that re gassed as Im sure its in need, even though its still just about working. Would recommend ATS.
MalcQV likes this.

Giulietta 170 MA TCT Business Edition/Spider 3.2 V6 Q4
(Post Link) post #5 of 8 Old 23-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Venables View Post
I had a go at this a few years ago when I first saw them at Halfords, I couldn't get enough pressure from the bottle to fill the system on my Calibra at the time, it worked, but not for very long. I did take my old Corsa to ATS for a re gas, they found through the vacuum test that there was a leak (cracked pipe) and didn't charge me. They have the proper kit, I will be going back with my Spider soon to get that re gassed as Im sure its in need, even though its still just about working. Would recommend ATS.
Thanks... I've had a look online and there is an ATS nearby who charge £45 to re-gas and if they don't charge if there is a problem, I think I'll take it there.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
Thanks... I've had a look online and there is an ATS nearby who charge £45 to re-gas and if they don't charge if there is a problem, I think I'll take it there.
I had mine regassed at Kwik Fit several week ago. A week later the bottom aux belt pulley fell off. After I got the car back the A/C never worked. Could be coincidence. Anyway I know the clutch on the motor is engaging so I may try ATS.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent

Member car:

1993 Alfa 155 Q4

I think it is also worth while getting done properly so that they can vacuum the system, then test for leaks, put a uv dye in so that if it did leak there is a betting chance of pin pointing it and lastly they can put the right weight of oil and gas back in.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezley View Post
I had mine regassed at Kwik Fit several week ago. A week later the bottom aux belt pulley fell off. After I got the car back the A/C never worked. Could be coincidence. Anyway I know the clutch on the motor is engaging so I may try ATS.
Just realised I'm on the wrong forum . The 916 does need re-gassing but that's most likely down to a replacement engine since last re-gas.

It is my 159 that I'm referring to here.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
aircon , home , regassing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page