Dreaded airbag light comes on! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Unclejam
  • 1 Post By alfapash

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 18-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Garage
Moaning Dreaded airbag light comes on!

Here is a salutary tale of wasted time and sore fingers, which I hope will prevent further grief for someone!!

OK, so a couple of months ago, on the rare occasion of getting a valeter to clean my car instead of doing it myself, yes - you guessed it, he moved a seat when the ignition was on and when I returned, the airbag light was on! I had already read about this issue, so wasn't too alarmed as I knew it was normally just a bad connection.

I bought the connection leads off Ebay, downloaded FIATECUSCAN and finally found the time in the driveway last night to get down in the dirt, taking the drivers seat out.
The software identified the problem as: "Drivers seatbelt Pretensioner - open circuit / intermittent".

Sounds clear right?

1 hour later, (in the gathering darkness of 9pm) I had removed the seat bolts which is quite hard on the front as there is not much room for a socket wrench (and breaking my fingernails working out how to get the yellow connector apart), I had stripped the pretensioner, cleaned it with contact spray and reassembled, using a cable tie to keep the connector in place on top.
Refitted the seat, connected the wiring & battery back up, fired up the laptop to smugly check my fix and guess what? Yes - same fault still detected, airbag light still on!

*********!

After a bit of chin stroking however, I luckily remembered some wise old sage also saying something about the Alfa being an Italian car and always expect the unexpected! He was suggesting that what the car's ECU refers to as the "drivers" seat, might actually be the passenger seat in a right-hand drive car.
So, I stuck my hand under the passenger seat, gave the connector under there a good push together, then tried to reset the fault code yet again.
Boom - off went the light and there was no fault reported!!

So in short, the principle of the ECU defining the passenger seat as the Drivers seat seems to be proven, at least on my car. If you ever have to do this exercise yourself, unless you enjoy performing unneccessary maintenance, take my advice and try wiggling the passenger seat connection first!
alfizta and proinsias like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Ha ha ha, you couldn't make it up could you?
(Post Link) post #3 of 6 Old 19-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Ha ha ha, you couldn't make it up could you?
Quite right! I was moaning to a friend about this, saying that the Italians are infamous for spending months / years working out how to make a car look cooler or faster but can't be ar**d with little details like this!

Still, having owned a total of 8 Italian cars so far, all of which had their own particular frustrating issues - I think it must be part of the appeal for me??

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Their Italian so they just think everything is left hand drive, us Brits drive on the right, that wouldn't enter their head.
Unclejam likes this.
AO Member

County: Bristol
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
Their Italian so they just think everything is left hand drive, us Brits drive on the right, that wouldn't enter their head.
Strangely Italian cars were generally RHD before WW2 even though they drove on the right from the 1920s. First LHD Alfas didn't appear until 1947. I find these idiosyncrasies all part of the appeal of Alfa ownership even if they are frustrating at times. Gotta love 'em, haven't you?

Andy
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
As the majority of the world use LHD cars it is costly to make special wiring and circuits for RHD cars.
That is the main reason not just because it is an Italien car. Other car manufacturers have the same approach

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
airbag , dreaded , light

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page