What's up with my hood!? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 13-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
What's up with my hood!?

Hi,

Does anyone know what's up here!?

I'm guessing our needs a new hood?

Apparently it's has a new rear window which seems true, but it's not tight, and what's the creasing all about on the sides!?

The plus is that it's water tight.

Please tell me I don't need a whole new roof!!??

Thanks all
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1471113273250-767360552_1471113299468.jpg (42.8 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 1471113305573-2018829559_1471113317502.jpg (32.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 1471113325097-580641826_1471113337854.jpg (34.2 KB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Ok - it doesn't look too bad.
When you fold the roof and re- erect it you do tend to get odd folds . Park it (window) facing the sun and the heat should make it smoother.
It does need to be tight though. Check that all 12 bolts that hold the rear screen to the frame are present - the odd one left out will affect the tension and leave odd folds.
If, like me, your are fussy then when it folds down check that the window has folded neatly in half by hand before the rear panel closes.

As far as the hood itself goes there is a bit of lamination - the bubbles - no big deal. If you find there are green mould patches then all you need do is scrub with white vinegar and wash down afterwards.

After that then buy the Renovo kit which will take it back to black. Then paint on Fabsil and it'll be like new - and all for less than 100.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

Last edited by PaulR; 14-08-16 at 19:59.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Have a look at the back of the fabric, probably the interior waterproof coating is breaking down, causing the rippling effect. It could have been parked in the sun alot. The the photo on the top right shows that the rear quater is not over the window section and is pulling back. You need to have an inspection of that section, whoever replaced the window, had problems.

Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
The the photo on the top right shows that the rear quater is not over the window section and is pulling back. You need to have an inspection of that section, whoever replaced the window, had problems.
A good point alfapash.

I bought a new rear screen from BAS based in Wales. It fits perfectly BUT you do need to get it right.
The top just zips in - no problem.
The bottom bolts in and you need to make sure you get them even - as I said before.

The sides are velcro and that is where I think alfapash has a point. Before you go and pay for someone to sort it separate the velcro on each side (just pull the screen back from the hood on each side). Then slip your fingers in push the screen velcro strip as far back as you can (both sides) so it engages with the velcro strip on the hood. This will make sure that it is as tight as possible.

It might also be worth refitting the rear screen just to get the tension right. Unzip the top and release the velcro strips at the side. Loosen the bolts on the lower frame and just smooth (run your hands from the centre to the edges) to ensure the fabric is not bunched. Tighten the centre bolt and then those on each side in turn until they are all tight. Then zip the top and finally do what I said with the velcro strips.

Good luck!

Last edited by PaulR; 15-08-16 at 18:07.
(Post Link) post #5 of 6 Old 15-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
Thanks a lot for the advice...I'll try the refitting approach it doesn't sound too hard....thanks again
AO Member

County: KwaZulu-Natal
You might try a steamer to get those wrinkles out. Those in the upholstery trade will know what I mean. It is worth a try at least.

Once you have steamed the side panels, let it dry out fully before folding the roof away.

Good luck, mate.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
hood

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page