GTV door mirror internals swap how to.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By joeymannero
  • 1 Post By Nellytheroc

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey
GTV door mirror internals swap how to..

when I got my GTV it had a damaged and hanging off O/S door mirror..the seller had thoughtfully provided a replacement but in vela blue, where as the car is verde tropic met..

it was the internal mechanism that had broken on impact leaving both the base and the housing intact.

noticing the mirror bases were corroded I elected to remove both and re-spray them whilst also spraying the ''new mirror'' the correct colour..

when rubbing down and masking the mirror I noticed 4 screws behind it one in each corner of the assembly that the mirror is secured to , I began to think that if I can remove the internals and swap it would save me a lot of rubbing ,priming and spraying....

if you tilt the mirror to its diagonally opposed point to the screw you are trying to remove you can get to them with a thin long phillips head screwdriver..I would advise some penetrating fluid first on each screw using the tube that comes with, the screws will then come out with a bit of beefing

after all four are removed the whole mirror outer casing comes apart revealing the internals (motor and heater element if you have) putting back together is a reversal of the procedure with the caveat that a good magnetized driver will be required as its a bit tricky locating them whilst manipulating the mirror into the correct position.

attached some pics of the housing apart with the screw holes clearly visible...

now I'm pretty sure this has been done before but i couldn't find a how to anywhere despite searching high and low!

this is a very easy solution to a broken mirror which allows you to use any colour Donor provided you housing is still intact, the mirror tapes onto the the rear of the motor assembly so even of this is broken as well you can remove with a solvent and re-apply with some 3M tape.

both bases are now clear of corrosion, primed and ready for top coat!

hope this helps some of you in the future...

best

joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160807_153225.jpg (153.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20160807_153223.jpg (192.2 KB, 20 views)
CGTVs likes this.

GT blackline,Bilstien B12's and Eibach Anti roll bar kit,Quaife Diff,Autolusso performance pads, de-cat downpipe,hybrid turbo,stage one clutch,autolusso re-map, swirl flap and egr delete, leon cupra front splitter,novitec light covers,simone racing gear knob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Norfolk
How easy is it to remove the bases to paint? My mirrors ain't too bad except for the base and even looking at the ones on eBay described as VGC, the bases aren't perfect.
(Post Link) post #3 of 10 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellytheroc View Post
How easy is it to remove the bases to paint? My mirrors ain't too bad except for the base and even looking at the ones on eBay described as VGC, the bases aren't perfect.

really easy, removing from the doors is a matter of about 5 mins, although one of the allen bolts is at a funny angle so you may have an annoying 5 mins with just that...but spraying just the bases..? easy job..!

I would say of you are going to respray the mirror housing as well disassemble as I have as you will find it difficult to both adequately prepare the inside edge of the mirror housing and spray it, you will get a far better result doing it this way.

take your time and do the prep properly and I see no reason why it can't be factory standard ,even with rattle cans.

will post a pic of both my mirrors when done.

there are a couple of other bits of body work on my project car which will need looking at, but she is looking a whole load better than when I picked her up, and due to the new variator,cambelt ,aux belt and full service the engine is ticking over beautifully..

now onto the wishbones..not looking forward to that at all...

AO Member

Cheers... I'll add it to the Jobs-to-do list. I've never done any kind of bodywork/spraying before so something like the mirros seems a good place to start as I can get another set of mirrors if I really f*** it up!!!
joeymannero likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 10 Old 07-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

you'll be fine...

light coats, sweeping movements ,the right primer and spend lots of time on making sure the surface area is really smooth..

good luck.

p.s victoria autoparts on ebay do really good paint
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post

good luck.

p.s victoria autoparts on ebay do really good paint
Many thanks. Tried a search for Victoria Autoparts and found nothing. Which primer did you use?
(Post Link) post #7 of 10 Old 08-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

I used halfords grey primer as it can be used on a combination of bare metal and existing paint work ..

If you are painting the Mirror housings as well be sure to use a plastic primer.

Here is a link to victoria autoparts ebay shop

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Victoria-autoparts

Get paint ,primer and lacquer from them ,its good quality and will probably work out cheaper.

I used the halfrauds primer as I had a bit left from another job...

Good luck!
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
Anyone with any suggestions for paint to match the spider black plastic looking finish?
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
And thanks for posting the pictures, I have a pair to paint and was wondering how they came apart.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymannero View Post
I used halfords grey primer as it can be used on a combination of bare metal and existing paint work ..

If you are painting the Mirror housings as well be sure to use a plastic primer.

Here is a link to victoria autoparts ebay shop

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Victoria-autoparts

Get paint ,primer and lacquer from them ,its good quality and will probably work out cheaper.

I used the halfrauds primer as I had a bit left from another job...

Good luck!
Thanks for the link. Just had a quick look and 28 including P&P for paint, primer and lacquer which is way cheaper than buying 'new' mirrors.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
door , gtv , internals , mirror , swap

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page