Red Keys are nice Flip Keys are better So I made one:) - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes
  • 4 Post By marcuswntr
  • 1 Post By paul.o
  • 1 Post By Rich_wookey
  • 1 Post By Giorget2
  • 1 Post By Jonlane
  • 1 Post By Giorget2

(Post Link) post #1 of 14 Old 03-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: UK
Garage
Red Keys are nice Flip Keys are better So I made one:)

After searching far and wide for a newer type flip key replacement for my Gtv key and being told by so many locksmiths it could'nt be done as blade difference.. have finally managed to make one myself with added bluetooth tracker.. you can get all parts on ebay but I used Aliexpress china who are always cheaper

I ordered a 3 button flip key from Aliexpress 2.50 for newer alfa locks with the newer flat lock type blade, and a Fiat flip blank from aliexpress (the old alfa lock red key type blade)

I took my red key to a good not overpriced locksmith and cut the Fiat blank to my Old Alfa red key, and cloned the transponder to a blank transponder chip.. opened the flip key removed the pin that holds the flat new type Alfa blade and swapped with my newly cut Fiat type blade, inserted the transponder chip, took apart the bluetooth tracker and inserted the electronics to the flip key (had to cut some of the flip case plastic so it would fit being careful not to damage the fob) and yay I now have a flip key that I can track with my iphone if lost and also alerts me if I move too far away from my key if enabled to prevent loss.. and a few other features that come with the bluetooth tracker.

Cost of everything 23..
3 button flip case: 2.50
Fiat blanks x2: 3
Alfa logo flip badge: 1
Bluetooth tracker 1.20
key cutting: 5
Transponder and coding: 10

I cant remeber the exact links for everything (as ordered the cheapest options) but have found other example items and added links below incase anybody else wants to make one

Its amazing but I guess lonely being the only Gtv owner in the world with an official type Alfa flip key unless of course the phase 3 face lift Gtvs have the newer locks which I doubt but I'm not sure?

Links
3 buttlon Flip key shell: REPLACEMENT 3 BUTTON REMOT FLIP KEY CASE FOB FOR ALFA ROMEO 147 156 166 GT Free Shipping-in Tire Pressure Alarm from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Add a coloured silicone shell here if you want one: Alfa Romeo - Flip key Model B - CarkeyCover.com

Old Alfa type blade: 10pcs/lot for Fiat right pit flip key, key number 60 , car key blade,lock and unlock,international standard size-in Tire Pressure Alarm from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Alfa Logo key badge: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...e-4354b1c0d7b7

Bluetooth Tracker: Aliexpress.com : Buy Hot! Smart Bluetooth 4.0 Tracer GPS Locator Tag Alarm Wallet Key Pet Dog Tracker Hot High Quality Free shipping from Reliable tracker car suppliers on Hong Kong VILONG Electronics Co., Ltd

enjoy
photos below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160802_195934453_iOS.jpg (81.0 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20160802_195850354_iOS.jpg (80.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20160803_213304469_iOS.jpg (93.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20160803_213331678_iOS.jpg (99.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by marcuswntr; 04-08-16 at 11:57.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

County: Lancashire
Garage
Excellent info , nice write up.
marcuswntr likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Somerset
Garage
Great project!

Did you investigate if you could transfer the atandard remote fob electronics to the new flip fob?

Rich
marcuswntr likes this.

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_wookey View Post
Great project!

Did you investigate if you could transfer the atandard remote fob electronics to the new flip fob?

Rich
He mentions that he did transfer the electronics, but had to cut some of the plastic inside the flip key shell to make them fit.

Pictures of that would be interesting/useful. Especially how the battery terminals are connected to the electronics.
marcuswntr likes this.
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

GTV V6 3.0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcuswntr View Post
After searching far and wide for a newer type flip key replacement for my Gtv key and being told by so many locksmiths it could'nt be done as blade difference.. have finally managed to make one myself with added bluetooth tracker.. you can get all parts on ebay but I used Aliexpress china who are always cheaper

I ordered a 3 button flip key from Aliexpress 2.50 for newer alfa locks with the newer flat lock type blade, and a Fiat flip blank from aliexpress (the old alfa lock red key type blade)

I took my red key to a good not overpriced locksmith and cut the Fiat blank to my Old Alfa red key, and cloned the transponder to a blank transponder chip.. opened the flip key removed the pin that holds the flat new type Alfa blade and swapped with my newly cut Fiat type blade, inserted the transponder chip, took apart the bluetooth tracker and inserted the electronics to the flip key (had to cut some of the plastic so it would fit being careful not to damage the fob) and yay I now have a flip key that I can track with my iphone if lost and also alerts me if I move too far away from my key if enabled to prevent loss.. and a few other features that come with the bluetooth tracker.

Cost of everything 23..
3 button flip case: 2.50
Fiat blanks x2: 3
Alfa logo flip badge: 1
Bluetooth tracker 1.20
key cutting: 5
Transponder and coding: 10

I cant remeber the exact links for everything (as ordered the cheapest options) but have found other example items and added links below incase anybody else wants to make one
Its amazing but I guess lonely being the only Gtv owner in the world with a flip key unless of course the phase 3 face lift Gtvs have the newer locks im not sure?

Links
3 buttlon Flip key shell: REPLACEMENT 3 BUTTON REMOT FLIP KEY CASE FOB FOR ALFA ROMEO 147 156 166 GT Free Shipping-in Tire Pressure Alarm from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Add a coloured silicone shell here if you want one: Alfa Romeo - Flip key Model B - CarkeyCover.com

Old Alfa type blade: 10pcs/lot for Fiat right pit flip key, key number 60 , car key blade,lock and unlock,international standard size-in Tire Pressure Alarm from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Alfa Logo key badge: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-...e-4354b1c0d7b7

Bluetooth Tracker: Aliexpress.com : Buy Hot! Smart Bluetooth 4.0 Tracer GPS Locator Tag Alarm Wallet Key Pet Dog Tracker Hot High Quality Free shipping from Reliable tracker car suppliers on Hong Kong VILONG Electronics Co., Ltd

enjoy
photos below

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...9e2c15e8ca.jpg
One I made earlier !
I made my flip key about three years ago, going down a similar route to you but never thought of adding Bluetooth, what a great idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
marcuswntr likes this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 14 Old 04-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
thanks guys

Last edited by marcuswntr; 04-08-16 at 11:36.
(Post Link) post #7 of 14 Old 04-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_wookey View Post
Great project!

Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
He mentions that he did transfer the electronics, but had to cut some of the plastic inside the flip key shell to make them fit.

Pictures of that would be interesting/useful. Especially how the battery terminals are connected to the electronics.
Hi Rich and Giorget2, as I only have the one meta alarm fob when I first brought the 3 button flip key I did try and it did'nt fit, then decided to leave it in the original meta fob as worried i would damage it somehow trying to make it fit.. in the last picture you can see where I have cut away the plastic key to make the bluetooth tracker fit as a tiny bit of the tracker sticks out, but does not affect the close or flip action.

I guess you could also do the same and cut the plastic in the right places to include the alarm fob.. to cut the key case I used a heated stanley blade to cut/melt the plastic.. I only had this idea after being worried about loosing the alarm fob and key, thats when I came up with the bluetooth tracker idea and not wanting another item on the keyring I thought to cut the flip key plastic and include it, I was happy to leave the alarm fob seperate to ensure no damage and also easyier not to lose if both together.

I just wrapped the battery to the bluetooth unit with electrical tape to secure it and the cut the plastic on the flip key to make it fit. I used a thin piece of plastic inside bridged across the flip key buttons to allow the internal buetooth on/off/function select button to work when the flip key buttons are pressed.

If I do have to open the unit again i'll take some pictures of the internals, but as its a bit tricky to get it perfect and I've put an extra spin/turn on the flip key spring to allow a more powerful flip/flick key action I'd rather wait till I have to.

hope that helps

Last edited by marcuswntr; 04-08-16 at 12:03.
AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Aha, now it's clear to me - I misunderstood before.
marcuswntr likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
Has anyone ever tried using one of these 166 2-button keys as a base?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa_romeo_166_remote_key_2008.jpg (110.0 KB, 25 views)
(Post Link) post #10 of 14 Old 13-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Updated pics with new Alfa logo as 1st Logo damaged as noticed in original photos.. and the lovely car it opens and starts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160813_025513812_iOS.jpg (104.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20160813_025653589_iOS.jpg (74.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20160718_145552326_iOS.jpg (100.5 KB, 20 views)
(Post Link) post #11 of 14 Old 13-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
if anyone would like to donate some 17s teledials with low profile tyres and lower springs/shocks as my 16's and 10mm spacers look ok but still a bit small in the big arches I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160718_145615044_iOS.jpg (80.9 KB, 20 views)
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I've got a set of 17" teledials for sale. Reasonable condition, full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics fitted nearly new. 500.
(Post Link) post #13 of 14 Old 13-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
I've got a set of 17" teledials for sale. Reasonable condition, full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics fitted nearly new. 500.
thanks for offer no offence but I spent that much on the whole car.. I know thats how much they go for as getting rare but most ive seen are bubbled and curbed and to me secondhand in perfect condition worth maybe 100:/ I cant justify that cost esp as mine look fine and cost me 40 and 10 for spacers, now selling my original Gtv alloys for 100 so when sold would have actually been paid 60 to get a teledial look..

I guess am happy with that.. good luck with the sale of yours tho they seem to sell very easy as in demand and sought after so am sure they will fly out the door.. Thanks for the thought and post tho

County: Sweden

Member car:

Gtv 3.0 24V -97

Has anyone tried to fit GTV key to Mito flip?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0198.jpg (42.9 KB, 10 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
flip , gtv , key or alarm or locking , key or fob

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page