My Nuvola Blue V6 is for sale but what's it really worth? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 8Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 30 Old 24-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Thumbs Up My Nuvola Blue V6 is for sale but what's it really worth?

I’m sure many of you keep track of what’s for sale & regularly look at the usual online places to buy a car so I’m sure quite a few of you will have already seen my Nuvola Blue GTV for sale on Pistonheads. Used 1999 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 24V for sale in Cornwall | Pistonheads Just renewed my ad for another month and would appreciate input / feedback from forum members with regards to the asking price. No one wants to hear that their car isn’t worth the price they’re asking for it but judging from the lack of response to my advert, I’m guessing my price is too high.

Let me start by saying it is a genuine sale. There seems to be an assumption these days that anyone selling a car is doing so for dodgy or underhand reasons; trying to avoid some sort of impending disaster or massive money pit expenditure. Not me, not this car. Anything that has needed replacing has been replaced. Yes, there is a hole in its history, eight years ago, with regard to accident damage & yes, I should have asked more questions of the seller before I bought it. My fault, I have to live with the financial consequences of that mistake. I’m selling because I needed a car that can seat four adults with a boot big enough for their luggage. I’ve already bought that car – a 3.2 GT & I simply can’t afford to run two V6 Alfas.

So do I sell one or keep them both & take one (read GTV) off the road? I could SORN the GTV, stick it in the garage, put a cover over it & leave it there. Thing is, because I’ve kept it in as good a condition as I possibly could, it’s got a cam belt & set of tyres that are less than a year / 2000 miles old. Fully serviced, air con regassed & everything working perfectly with a Q2 & a stonkingly good Alfaholics exhaust, it’d be a shame not to let someone else have the chance to run a perfectly good V6 GTV.

That hole in the history? Wish I knew! I bought the car in November 2009 & when I received the new V5 back from DVLA, there was a special note on the front which says “Substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on 28 10 2008”. That was the first I knew of anything that had happened, the previous owner (private seller, so no legal obligation to inform me of any damage) said absolutely nothing & although the car came with a very comprehensive file full of maintenance receipts, an invoice for damage repair wasn’t among them.

Detective work after I bought the car revealed that there had been a repair to the front bumper on the off side / driver’s side, the wheel arch liner on that side was broken & the worst thing wrong was the o/s front wishbone was slightly bent. Best guess, was a fairly minor front end collision. So why the special note, we’re not sure.

However, 8 MOT tests have since passed, all of them bar one with no advisories & the one that did have an advisory was for tyres nearing the tread limit. Any lingering issues would have been picked up at one of those tests & rectified.

Over to you guys – given the nature of the hole in its history & the special note on the V5, what would you think the car is worth?

Even better still, if any of you are seriously looking for a V6 GTV & have seen my car only to think to yourself “if that were £xxxx, I’d have a look”, PM me with your £xxxx & we’ll see what happens…

I’m also acutely aware that my location, being as it is, the far west of Cornwall, will put many people off. Again, if you are seriously looking for a GTV & would consider mine but not the distance involved in travelling to look at it, let me know. For a genuine enquiry, I am prepared to travel to meet you, at a garage of your choosing for an inspection, should you wish.

Apologies for the length & rambling nature of this post. If you’ve read this far, thank you. I’m keen to sell but the lack of response or enquiry is baffling to me & any feedback, positive or negative, would be appreciated.

Cheers to you all.
CGTVs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Dorset
Looks good value to me Stuart, I know how it has been cared for and after reading your opening paragraph I expected it to be 'pitched' much higher when I went to the Pistonheads site.
Given the spec and condition, not to mention the superb cleanliness of the engine bay, I'd say that the price is right. Good luck with the sale.
AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Doesn't seem expensive to me but there is a very small market for the 916 at the moment. If not in a rush I would hold out for that price.

(Post Link) post #4 of 30 Old 24-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJohn View Post
Looks good value to me Stuart, I know how it has been cared for and after reading your opening paragraph I expected it to be 'pitched' much higher when I went to the Pistonheads site.
Given the spec and condition, not to mention the superb cleanliness of the engine bay, I'd say that the price is right. Good luck with the sale.
Cheers Tony, much appreciated.
(Post Link) post #5 of 30 Old 24-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
Doesn't seem expensive to me but there is a very small market for the 916 at the moment. If not in a rush I would hold out for that price.
It's good to know that I've hopefully pitched the price somewhere near right. No immediate hurry to sell - the tax runs out at the end of October & I've no intention of renewing it. If it hasn't sold by then, it will be put on SORN & I'll keep it. Cheers for the reply.
AO Gold Member

County: Kent
That has to be the right price even with the accident history. Just be patient, there's a buyer out there somewhere. Lovey car.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
130 rosso likes this.
AO Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

166 3.2Ti

there's a 2002 gtv with 68k for the same price - just saying ...

mind you there's a 2001 cup with 95k for £11,500! - I'd be thinking about a maser 3200gt for that sort of money.
(Post Link) post #8 of 30 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

[QUOTE=laccata;15099961]there's a 2002 gtv with 68k for the same price - just saying ...

That's a good point & one that's not been lost on me. It's a good looking car, 3 years newer & best part of 40k fewer miles. Both of us have recent cam belts & both have stainless exhausts so does a Q2 & pearlescent paint make up for the age/mileage difference? Who knows...? Maybe, when all is said & done, it all comes down to whether you prefer teledial or ten-spoke wheels (and I might just be open to an offer...).
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Not everyone goes on piston heads, so maybe another ad on a more general site, might find you a buyer. Some people looking for a good V6 will travel. Good luck with your sale.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

County: West Sussex
Worth every penny if not more. Nuvola Blue with Bluestyle interior is a rare colour scheme especially in that condition. I wouldn't worry about the Cat C, coincidentally I've just bought a really lovely Nuvola 156 TS done only 45k with a shallow dent in the rear passenger door & they've Cat C'd that.............ridiculous!

Clive
(Post Link) post #11 of 30 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
Not everyone goes on piston heads, so maybe another ad on a more general site, might find you a buyer. Some people looking for a good V6 will travel. Good luck with your sale.
Yes, you're probably quite right. I did look into an ad with Autotrader but if I'd done that, I'd be sharing internet space with jokers like this: Alfa Romeo GTV CUP 1.8 2dr

Autotrader used to be my one & only port of call for buying or selling a car but not any more. Too many cowboys on there these days for me to even be bothered to look now...

And don't get me started on FeePay....

I'll give another month or so on Pistonheads & see what happens. Cheers for the reply!
(Post Link) post #12 of 30 Old 25-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTVs View Post
Worth every penny if not more. Nuvola Blue with Bluestyle interior is a rare colour scheme especially in that condition. I wouldn't worry about the Cat C, coincidentally I've just bought a really lovely Nuvola 156 TS done only 45k with a shallow dent in the rear passenger door & they've Cat C'd that.............ridiculous!

Clive
Thanks for your comments Clive. Always good to get some perspective from someone in the trade.

I'm really surprised too that a dent in door can invoke at Cat C status.
AO Member

County: Lincolnshire
Looks a decent one this

It may be that the previous accident damage puts off some potential buyer, plus the non original wheels although i have these on mine (being a cloverleaf of course) and they look stunning on both the GT and GTV

Very tidy engine bay, like the colour scheme
AO Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

What about trying

Alfa Romeo GTV for Sale on Car and Classic UK

I have had a good success rate - both buying and selling. I think it is free to list......?
CGTVs likes this.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130 rosso View Post
I'm really surprised too that a dent in door can invoke at Cat C status.
I couldn't believe it either but take a look at the pic, that's the damaged side.....still unrepaired!!

Clive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20160723-05744.jpg (85.7 KB, 37 views)
(Post Link) post #16 of 30 Old 26-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGTVs View Post
I couldn't believe it either but take a look at the pic, that's the damaged side.....still unrepaired!!

Clive
That's bonkers - Cat C for that? Mad!

But then the real madness is that in order for that to have been deemed to be Cat C, someone, somewhere must have made an insurance claim out of it...
(Post Link) post #17 of 30 Old 26-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolka View Post
What about trying

Alfa Romeo GTV for Sale on Car and Classic UK

I have had a good success rate - both buying and selling. I think it is free to list......?
Brilliant, thanks! I've just uploaded my ad & it should be approved shortly.Alfa Romeo 916 GTV 3.0 V6 Lusso with Q2 For Sale (1999) on Car And Classic UK [C770700]
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
That's bonkers - Cat C for that? Mad!

But then the real madness is that in order for that to have been deemed to be Cat C, someone, somewhere must have made an insurance claim out of it...
And, someone wanted rid of it in exchange for the pittance that an insurer would pay out for a V-reg 156.

We bought a 146 Twinspark once for £50, cat C, it had a golf-ball sized dent on the rear quarter under a rear light which is what they wrote it off for. It went straight through an MOT, straight through the VIC check and was insured and on courtesy car duty within a couple of days of purchase, wearing its dent with pride
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
And, someone wanted rid of it in exchange for the pittance that an insurer would pay out for a V-reg 156.

We bought a 146 Twinspark once for £50, cat C, it had a golf-ball sized dent on the rear quarter under a rear light which is what they wrote it off for. It went straight through an MOT, straight through the VIC check and was insured and on courtesy car duty within a couple of days of purchase, wearing its dent with pride
The VIC check has now been abolished, since Oct 2015.

So a Cat C is basically the same as a Cat D, only difference could be the cost to repair is higher than the value of the car whereas a Cat D is normally less than the total value. Most of the Cat Cs I've ever seen though have only been 'cosmetic' or light damage rather than heavy impact unlike Cat Ds....so once again, clear as mud.

Clive
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Yes, you're probably quite right. I did look into an ad with Autotrader but if I'd done that, I'd be sharing internet space with jokers like this: Alfa Romeo GTV CUP 1.8 2dr

Autotrader used to be my one & only port of call for buying or selling a car but not any more. Too many cowboys on there these days for me to even be bothered to look now...

And don't get me started on FeePay....

I'll give another month or so on Pistonheads & see what happens. Cheers for the reply!
I understand, but that goes to show even a dealer doesn't know what car he/she is advertising, however when I was looking for a V6 GTV I did look on autotrader and missed a couple of nice ones. If you are looking for a certain car, people still do look at Autotrader and Ebay for that matter. In a way only a genuine buyer would travel to Cornwall, so that would help in sorting the wheat from chaff buyers, so that would save you dealing with the idiots of this world.
As for CAT C's etc, I think it's just a way of the government getting older vehicles of the road, there's probably been an edict sent to the insurance companies. Most average motorists won't touch one.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfapash View Post
As for CAT C's etc, I think it's just a way of the government getting older vehicles of the road, there's probably been an edict sent to the insurance companies. Most average motorists won't touch one.
It's not the government.....it's the insurance companies....I'll never understand them.

As for 'most average motorists', I think you'd be surprised just how clued up people are nowadays, especially where 'rare' low volume collectable cars are concerned the importance of cat C & D becomes slightly less of a concern. Many cars have been repaired that haven't gone through insurance & therefore not registered as Cat C or D.

Clive
(Post Link) post #22 of 30 Old 26-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Thanks guys for all your input, it's been very much appreciated.

alfapash, your comments re. Autotrader make good sense so if it's not sold by the time the current Pistonheads ad runs out, I may well try a month on there instead.

Clive, thank you too for your insight into just how little it takes to invoke Cat C status on a car. I always thought it'd need much more than a simple dent - more like an entire bumper ripped off, smashed headlights, radiator punctured & dripping on the floor... In a pervese sort of way, it makes me feel much better about offering mine for sale without being able to fully account for what happened to it. I don't mean that in a flippent way either - more from the point of view of not actually being able to find enough wrong (or so I thought) with the car once I'd bought it to be able to justify its Cat C status.
CGTVs and Kevin Hanley like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Norfolk

Member car:

Brera

Good luck with your sale. Your price seems fine to me and, at the age all GTVs are now, surely current condition is more important than any historic damage? I love the colour and the spec!

I've never had any luck selling on Pistonheads but EBay has always worked well for me. If you are feeling brave, why not let the market decide? My old GTV went for nearly £1k more than the previous Pistonheads ad price (which didn't generate any serious viewings)
AO Member

I'd defo hold out, there's a buyer for your car, without question.

Ultra rare colour (& combination). Personally I love that blue, the way it pings in the sunlight/ changes hue is ace. The CAT C thing "might" put some off, but given the nature of the advert I doubt it. And would be the potential buyers loss anyway..

It's rare to see such a well constructed advert, that absolutely screams honesty/ an honest car. Were I in the market for such a car, I'd be biting your hand off.

Cheers,
Hedge
Kevin Hanley likes this.
(Post Link) post #25 of 30 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewe View Post
Good luck with your sale. Your price seems fine to me and, at the age all GTVs are now, surely current condition is more important than any historic damage? I love the colour and the spec!

I've never had any luck selling on Pistonheads but EBay has always worked well for me. If you are feeling brave, why not let the market decide? My old GTV went for nearly £1k more than the previous Pistonheads ad price (which didn't generate any serious viewings)
No way I'm brave enough to put it to auction on eBay & the fees... £10 to list + £7.99 for a reserve & then 1% of the final value up to a max £35!!
I've never sold a car on eBay. I've not had the best of luck selling other things on there - non payers, time wasters & then the ones who insist their item arrived damaged & demand a full refund (without being willing to return the 'faulty' item). Of course, you've no option but to refund because eBay's buyer protection scheme comes down so heavily on the seller. The rules & regulations for the Motors side might be different but once bitten, twice shy & I've never looked into it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
blue , nuvola , sale , worth

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page