Original Cup tyres? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Original Cup tyres?

Hi All

All the tyres on my Cup need replacing and thought that it would good to fit original spec tyres (if they are still available?) but what were they originally supplied with? I know that they were Goodyear Eagles F1's but were they Gs-D3's, Asymmetric's or ? and what was the size, I assume 225/45/17 but it would be great to get confirmation.

Thanks

Gazza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazzaF15her View Post
Hi All

All the tyres on my Cup need replacing and thought that it would good to fit original spec tyres (if they are still available?) but what were they originally supplied with? I know that they were Goodyear Eagles F1's but were they Gs-D3's, Asymmetric's or ? and what was the size, I assume 225/45/17 but it would be great to get confirmation.

Thanks

Gazza
This is a quote from Robert Foskett's book 2012 re: Cups and their wheels "These were encased with 225/45 tyres, typically, though not exclusively Goodyear Eagle F1s."

No more info than this and I would think in 15 years the tread pattern has been redesigned anyway. You may find someone very knowledgable out there who knows the answer!
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
My GTV V6 with 17" wheels had Eagle F1's on it when new. I think it was these ones as the tread pattern looked familiar.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2 - Tyre Reviews

They did grip well but wore out fast and they were very noisy.

Do your car a favour and fit a set of the latest Assymetric 3. You will probably have trouble finding the originals anyway.

Tyre technology has moved on massively in the last few years.

County: Noord Brabant
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
My GTV V6 with 17" wheels had Eagle F1's on it when new. I think it was these ones as the tread pattern looked familiar.

Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2 - Tyre Reviews

They did grip well but wore out fast and they were very noisy.

Do your car a favour and fit a set of the latest Assymetric 3. You will probably have trouble finding the originals anyway.

Tyre technology has moved on massively in the last few years.
Those were on my 2002 TS as well. I replaced the last two original tyres last year because they didn't grip anymore and were quite noisy. I would look at the most recent Eagle F1 instead of the original version (I'm not sure they're actually still in production?).
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 19-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Devon
Thanks Guys for all your thoughts . One of the main reasons for getting the tyres sorted out was I am planning a road trip down to northern Italy so the notes about GSD3's being very noisy is good to know.
Will go for the Assymetric 3's as suggested

Thanks again

Gazza

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
cup , original , tyres