GTV 916 3.0 Broken Gear Stick Linkage Help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 17-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
GTV 916 3.0 Broken Gear Stick Linkage Help!

Dear 916 Enthusiasts

I need some expert advice on fixing the broken gear linkage on my GTV. Please see the attached photo.

After having the car on axle stands for 2 months to do the clutch master and slave, major brake service, and suspension paint, I was pleased to take the car on a test run until the gear stick went sloppy and I could only engage 3rd 4th and neutral.

The gear change had been imprecise and stiff until warmed up for some time, although I hadn't driven it for a while to remember.

On removing the centre console I see the typical bush is missing and I can't see it anywhere, even bits of it. Just the rivet end I found as pictured in the bottom of the photo.

The left/right rod is extremely stiff which makes me think this caused the failure or forcing out of the bush which seems to have dropped into the gubbins.

I have read an interesting thread about putting a cut of garden hose over the ball joint, Alfaholics sell bushes, and a range of threads talk about this problem.

Please could somebody give me a basic step by step guide to fixing this. I have tried undoing the 3 bolts on the upper housing but they just turn and don't unscrew. Do I have to pull the linkages apart on the gearbox side first, separating balls from cups etc? I'd appreciate some expert guidance please! Thanks....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160717_140243.jpg (130.9 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
This is a cheap fix but might take you a good few hours as you have to drop the exhaust to fit the new plastic gear selector and it was fiddly. I bought my gtv v6 with this issue, check out my project I think the repair was on the first page for pics of what you need and what I did

Alfa gtv v6 project black edition - Our 916s - Squadra916
AO Silver Member

County: Staffordshire
This is what you need

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-1...583?nav=SEARCH

I bought a whole kit cos you needs the little white bush as seen in the pic below as these is the piece that normally fails. I'm sure if you do a proper search you will come across a whole genuine alfa kitAttachment 671521

Last edited by jonalfaspider; 20-11-16 at 14:16.
AO Member

County: Troms
Garage
AO Member

County: Cornwall
My GTV did exactly the same thing & I found a really easy fix. I'm hoping the photo I've just taken has uploaded because I've never had much luck getting any pictures to work on here...

All you need to do is push the selector on the right back over to the left with a screwdriver then jam a cork or similar between the bolt head and the transmission tunnel. Simples.

Did mine over two years ago & it hasn't moved since!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0053.jpg (90.8 KB, 20 views)
AO Member

County: Suffolk
I'm sure I just bought the bush direct from Alfa for about a fiver.

Those 3 bolts you mentioned have 10mm nuts underneath that do just turn, not the best design for removal.
Global Mod Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130 rosso View Post
My GTV did exactly the same thing & I found a really easy fix. I'm hoping the photo I've just taken has uploaded because I've never had much luck getting any pictures to work on here...

All you need to do is push the selector on the right back over to the left with a screwdriver then jam a cork or similar between the bolt head and the transmission tunnel. Simples.

Did mine over two years ago & it hasn't moved since!
Now that's my idea of a fix. Less is more and if it works after two years than it is worth a shot.
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire
Strangley enough the little fix above is the same for my mgf, only on that forum they suggest using a metal block, but I guess you could use anything as long as it fits in the space.
(Post Link) post #9 of 16 Old 18-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Many thanks for your very helpful comments.

I have attempted a master bodge based upon Rosso 130's advice and something I read about inserting hose over the ball joint.

I used a cut of 10x17mm heater hose, greased the ball knuckle or whatever you call it, and pushed the hose through the cylinder and over the ball. I then levered the mechanism back into place and inserted a cork.

This looks like the makings of a master bodge but I don't want to tempt fate.

I've sprayed wd40 down the gubbins but the change is still a bit stiff so I reckon it's coming from the gubbins on top of the gearbox. Please could somebody talk me through pulling this apart. I have seen bushes are available and you have to knock a pin out, but it looks a nightmare on par with changing the clutch master.

Hopefully I won't have to take the exhaust off to touch the underside of the gearstick gubbins.

Thanks again, the power of the internet and car technical forums!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160718_120034.jpg (42.5 KB, 14 views)
AO Silver Member

I just replaced the bush and pushed it back together with no cork. Its not moved in 3 months driving. The mechanism on top of the gear box is very simple but awkward to get at. Not sure what would be making the change stiff.

Might be this???

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...earchange.html (Stiff gearchange)
AO Member

It is indeed a master bodge but I can't think of a more original reason for opening a bottle of wine!
Club Member

County: Cumbria
Stiff gearchange 9 times out of 10 is the rod that goes through the selector on top of the gearbox, which attaches to the cable that does your left-right inside the car.

The selector inside the car breaking & the bush wearing is caused in part by the extra force you have to put through the assembly due to the stiff gearchange.
Global Mod Team

The first thing I noticed after getting my V6 back after a blown head gasket was that the gear linkage was stiff and the lever did not centre.

I looked at lever internals and all seemed ok - apart from loose bolts that can only be fixed by dropping the exhaust - too much effort for little return!

I then realised that when the system was pressurised it blew all of the coolant out of the header tank which then cascaded down onto the gear linkage on the top of the gearbox. So i poured a little engine oil onto the linkage. This worked for a few days when it stiffened again. To cut a long story short I reapplied the oil a few times over 5 days.

That was two months ago and the gear change has been fine ever since.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders
(Post Link) post #14 of 16 Old 12-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Dear fellow GTV bodgers. Here is a technical update on the master bodge. The previous bodge did not represent master bodgemanship. I suspected I had spoken too soon and indeed I had. The cork dropped out and the same thing happened as before, and the hose moved over towards the plastic housing so it didn't act as a bearing.

I have made a wooden block part to fit. It is not too tight so as to allow some movement, especially when selecting reverse. I also put a longer cut of hose on and greased it up.

I'll see how long it lasts.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160811_190030[1].jpg (50.7 KB, 7 views)
(Post Link) post #15 of 16 Old 12-08-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Further to this, please could somebody explain step by step how to take apart the linkage on the gearbox end and grease it up. Thanks.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTVblackandred View Post
Dear fellow GTV bodgers. Here is a technical update on the master bodge. The previous bodge did not represent master bodgemanship. I suspected I had spoken too soon and indeed I had. The cork dropped out and the same thing happened as before, and the hose moved over towards the plastic housing so it didn't act as a bearing.

I have made a wooden block part to fit. It is not too tight so as to allow some movement, especially when selecting reverse. I also put a longer cut of hose on and greased it up.

I'll see how long it lasts.....
I doff my cap to your superior bodgemanship sir. Or, as we would say in these parts " that be a proper job my 'ansom!"

I reckon that ought to last a fair while now.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
916 , broken , gear , gtv , linkage , stick