New 916 owner with some questions! Hello! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -
New 916 owner with some questions! Hello!

Hi,

I've dipped my toe into the world of Alfa ownership for the first time! Well, clarkson said we should try it at least once, so he goes!

Picked up a cheap and cheerful 1996 spider as a bit of a toy... Seems to run ok, but think it's had a neglected life.... Looking at mots it was off the road between 2007 and 2013! Some of the bolts seem to have suffered as a result showing the previous owner may not have been entirely honest with me about how well it's been maintained!

Anyway, work to do....

First things first....

I got 2 keys with it, apparently. He has found another that he's posting to me.... But no remote fob... No big deal I guess, but would be handy. I have got a end key and a brown key.... But... Went to start it today and it said code on the dash, and just turned over. I remember he had to connec the battery when I went for it, so, disconnected it and reconnected it, and fired up fine!?! Any clues? Is the immobiliser triggered by time or locked?

Second... Water in the passenger footwell! But, it's clear... And, it's really rained overnight...plus, it's very gunky under the windscreen so I'll take the cover off in the week and hope it's just leaves everywhere!?

Last one...high idle... I know this could be allsorts, so for now, I've ordered a throttle body, tps and idle control valve... All in one used so cheap enough to eliminate.... Done the tape thing, Ecuador reset etc.... I guess after that, it's maf, the. Potentimoeter...which I can't find! Looked everywhere up above the fuse box...has it even got one?!?

Oh... Weirdly, if I put my fit under the throttle pedal and lift it, the revs drop, to the point I can get it to stall?! Normal?!

All in all, a rolling project...it's going to be an experience and a joy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Bristol
Water in the footwell could be you're missing the cover over the heater fan. It goes under the plastic scuttle panel under the wiper blades. Your idling problem sounds like the throttle cable is sticking or badly adjusted. You can adjust it at the throttle body by moving a clip. If you need any parts I have a few from cars I have broken. Dan
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

That's I'll check that out tomorrow... I it does feel like it's sticking so I'll have to try and follow it and lube along the way!

I'll definitely be needing parts...can't even get the air box off due to rusted bolts!! Where are you located?

Thanks a lot
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Speak to Abacus alarms; you can get a re-programmed alarm ECU with new fobs from them or you can upgrade. I got an HPA alarm to replace the Meta M99 T2 in my GTV with a new siren(they have a lithium battery so they can still sound if power is cut but it degrades over the years although I went for the cheaper option of no battery, I figure if nobody has reacted to the alarm in the time it takes to cut the power then nobody will) and I got an extra relay and nicer looking key fobs. The HPA is a straight swap with the old ECU and it took about half an hour to wire up the relay so I can now open the boot from the key fob which I found to be worth the extra money. I spend about 175 all in I think and the basic re-programmed ECU is about 100. Sam at Abacus is really helpful and very knowledgeable so well worth speaking to.

Enjoy your Spider... I have had my GTV since new in 2001 and still enjoy driving it as much now as I did when I got it.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richcs View Post
That's I'll check that out tomorrow... I it does feel like it's sticking so I'll have to try and follow it and lube along the way!

I'll definitely be needing parts...can't even get the air box off due to rusted bolts!! Where are you located?

Thanks a lot
I am in Bristol. I probably have an air box if yours is beyond repair.
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Cool ta... My brother in law lives in Bradley stoke so if I need much big I can send him! I'll be giving it a once over in the week so I'll be in touch with a list I'm sure! Cheers

Oh one thing I want to swap is the awful four spoke steering wheel to a three spoke! Just put off by the force needed to remove it without a tool so might get the local garage to do it! Do you have any (with airbag) and how much? Thanks a lot
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks for the alarm advice..I'll look into it....ta
AO Silver Member

20 for wheel & airbag if your brother can collect. I am not far from badley Stoke in Henbury. PM me an email address if interested and I will send you some pictures. It has a few marks on it but not too bad.
AO Member

County: Norfolk
Quote:
Let me know if you get the alarm upgrade as the boot opening took a bit of working out to get it working properly.
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Says I don't have permission to message!? I'll try again from computer later
pkr
AO Silver Member

County: Bedfordshire
Quote:
A 1996 won't have the Meta alarm. You could retro fit.

If the car was an official ARUK import, it would have been fitted with the Scorpion alarm. They're no longer supported by the manufacturer so you'd be looking at a replacement alarm if you have no fobs.
AO Member

Quote:
Says I don't have permission to message!? I'll try again from computer later

You need 10 posts to be able to PM people.

Enjoy your new Alfa and welcome!
(Post Link) post #13 of 18 Old 16-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks re the alarms...any clues as to why i have to disconnect the battery to start it? Seems ok today I've not locked it yet though so will see in morning...
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 27-07-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
Water in the footwell could be you're missing the cover over the heater fan. It goes under the plastic scuttle panel under the wiper blades. Your idling problem sounds like the throttle cable is sticking or badly adjusted. You can adjust it at the throttle body by moving a clip. If you need any parts I have a few from cars I have broken. Dan
Hi, is that cover on the passenger or driver side? There are only vents on the drivers side ... Passenger is blanked...so it must be running across? I'll finally get round to. Acting. The cover off tomorrow! Deffo only rain though....Thanks for the advice
AO Silver Member

Cover is on the passenger side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160609_141315.jpg (76.2 KB, 5 views)
AO Member

County: Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdanny View Post
Cover is on the passenger side.
Thank you for posting what the cover looks like as couldn't work it out from Eper, mine is strangely missing as well. This coupled with a really poorly fitting scuttle cover is allowing water through the heater in to the car.

Still not sure why you'd want to take it off in the first place but it looks as it had been missing for years from my car, without trying to hijack the thread has anyone got a spare they'd like to sell?
AO Silver Member

County: Johannesburg
The brown key is the master key. Keep that one in a safe place and it's generally not a good idea to use it as your everyday key. The immobiliser isn't triggered by a time delay. Have a look at the attached link detailing the workings of the CODE system. Apparently UK cars never came with a code card so it'll be difficult to get a new key coded if you ever loose the brown key.

Alfa Romeo Key code system

It's sounds possibly that the antenna around the ignition barrel is not 100% or the CODE ECU may be a bit tired.
Does it not start regardless of which key you try unless you disconnect and reconnect the battery? Have a go with all the keys to eliminate any key that could have a faulty transponder.

Water leaking into the car could also be poorly adjusted side windows. Is there alot of wind noise on the highway??
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal5 View Post
Thank you for posting what the cover looks like as couldn't work it out from Eper, mine is strangely missing as well. This coupled with a really poorly fitting scuttle cover is allowing water through the heater in to the car.

Still not sure why you'd want to take it off in the first place but it looks as it had been missing for years from my car, without trying to hijack the thread has anyone got a spare they'd like to sell?
I have one on eBay. Search seller:spankdanny0117

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
916 , owner , questions