GTV Airbag warning light - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156, Delta integrale

GTV Airbag warning light

hi all, My dad recently purchased a 1999 gtv and when we test drove the car the drivers airbag warning light was on, the sales manager assured us it was because the cars battery had been drained and that it just needed resetting. After looking at and deciding it was worth a go he bought it. In the last few weeks the light has come back on, strangly enough while he was driving adjusting the drivers seat. i saw something in another post about a connector plug for the airbag being under the seat is this true??
Any help appreciated, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-06
AO Silver Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Giulietta 170, GTV. Bo209

Re: GTV Airbag warning light

Light can be reset, that's not usually a problem. It does seem that moving the seat whilst ignition is on can cause the light to come on (not just in Alfas), my passengers have strict instructions not to adjust the seat once the engine is on. The only time (tempting providence here!) my airbag light came on was when the gf moved the seat and that was before I knew about the above.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 25-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 3.0 GTV

this happened on my gtv recently when the steering wheel had been removed to realign. It was fixed easily by the garage connecting diagnostics if I remember correctly. It has not come back on since.
Interesting what has been said about it coming on from moving the seat, I have not experienced this (yet!)
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 27-03-06
AO Member

Member car:

98 GTV 3.0 V6

This is a well known and documented problem.

There are sensors in the seat and wires that connect them to the airbag control unit. When you adjust the seat it can stretch the wires and temporarily break the connection between the wires and the sensor. When the ignition is on the airbag control unit continuously monitors the sensors and when the connection breaks it sets a fault code on, and the warning light is switched on.

It should cost about £30 to get it reset at a decent garage. It just needs someone to plug a diagnostic tool in. If you take it to an Alfa main dealer they might want to change the control unit and charge you £300, the incompetant robbing bar-stewards. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

So now you know; don't move the seats when the ignition is on.

[Parthia] Live the dream!
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 27-03-06
AO Silver Member
Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09

Member car:

Bertone, GTV6, 75, GTV V6

Originally Posted by superturismo
... strangly enough while he was driving adjusting the drivers seat. i saw something in another post about a connector plug for the airbag being under the seat is this true??
The source of the problem is one (or both) of the connectors for the seat belt pre-tensioner. One (yellow in colour) is under the seat and the other is attached to the seat-belt clasp.

The pre-tensioner fires at the same time as the airbag to tighten the seat belt and if the connectors are disturbed (and presumably the circuit broken), the ECU thinks that there is a fault in the circuit.

The connector can be tightened again, but the warning light needs to be reset using diagnostic equipment.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 09-07-07
AO Member

Member car:

3.0 V6 GTV Cup #64.

Arse!

I moved my seat today whilst moving and sure enough, airbag light is now on? I kinda feel begrudged to pay a garage £30 to turn off a light tho! Is there no DIY fix for this?

My Clio Sport did this, I disconnected battery and wiggled wires, presto......all was ok!
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 09-07-07

Member car:

gtv 3.0 L v6

had the same problem with airbag light when looking at the car before buying.it was fixed the way everybody suggests but it has just come back on again.i no i move the seat after my wife has driven it but surely moving a seat carn,t cause this can it?? am interested to no if there is another fix rather then paying some bod 30 quid for 10 mins work.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 10-07-07
Global Mod Team

County: Suffolk

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

Originally Posted by ipswichgtv View Post
had the same problem with airbag light when looking at the car before buying.it was fixed the way everybody suggests but it has just come back on again.i no i move the seat after my wife has driven it but surely moving a seat carn,t cause this can it?? am interested to no if there is another fix rather then paying some bod 30 quid for 10 mins work.
As has been said I can assure you moving the seat does it - I'm on my 9th reset (all free - added bonus when getting other work done).

It is not £30 for 10 minutes work - it takes 5. What you are paying for is a) the knowhow, b) the enormous cost of the software. Still it could be worse - my car was shunted in the rear recently - as part of the repair work the bodyshop took it to an Alfa dealer to be reset - cost per invoice £82. Luckily it was not me paying.

The only "permanent" cure is to solder the connection - easy enough to unsolder if ever you have to take the seat out - must admit I have been too lazy to do this yet.

Paul.
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 12-07-07

Member car:

gtv 3.0 L v6

hi thanks mate it seems such a silly fault for otherwise a fantastic car!!!!!
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 12-07-07
Global Mod Team

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

hi thanks mate it seems such a silly fault for otherwise a fantastic car!!!!!
Whereabouts in Ipswich are you ipswichGTV (I live in Holbrook 7 miles out) - I'll keep an eye out for you .

Paul.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 12-07-07

Member car:

gtv 3.0 L v6

i,m asda end of ipswich mate.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 15-07-07

Member car:

147 Collezione. JaguarSTR

Does anyone know if the airbag still works with the warning light on? My light was triggered by moving the seat. Until I can part with £47 at SGT to get it reset, I've put a piece of black duck tape over it to stop it irritating me!
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 15-07-07

Member car:

gtv 3.0 L v6

i was told by a mechanic that it still works ok.
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 15-07-07
Global Mod Team

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

i was told by a mechanic that it still works ok.
I am afraid he is wrong.

Paul.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 15-07-07
AO Member

Member car:

GTV novola

Sorry but the workshop manual claims that airbags still work after the warning light has lit. For both airbag computers in S1 and S2.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 15-07-07

Member car:

147 Collezione. JaguarSTR

That looks like an informed response. Thanks. Just that I was worried about the safety aspect. It would take more than £47 to have your teeth removed from the rim of the steering wheel if the light indicated that the airbag system was deactivated.
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 16-07-07
Global Mod Team

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

Originally Posted by ATJ View Post
That looks like an informed response. Thanks. Just that I was worried about the safety aspect. It would take more than £47 to have your teeth removed from the rim of the steering wheel if the light indicated that the airbag system was deactivated.
Ok I am prepared to be corrected but that raises the question - if they still work then what is the light warning you about?

At the very least it must mean that one or more are inoperative otherwise there would be no point in having it.

Paul.

Last edited by PaulR; 16-07-07 at 18:24.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 16-07-07

Member car:

gtv 3.0 L v6

the computor thinks there has been a fault so until it is reset it will still think that even though everything works ok.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 16-07-07
AO Member

like i've said in another post, the only real way to know for sure is for someone to report back after a crash. i have actually contacted top gear, given them the idea of crashing the modern car whilst the warning light is on, hope they take the idea up.

anyone know how to contact 5th gear? i can't find a link on their website, maybe it's more like something they would do.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 17-07-07

Member car:

Alfa GTV

Lets not get carried away. There might actually be something wrong! Had to replace the dirvers side pre-tensioner recently at nearly £200 for parts and labour.......or wus I robbed?
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 17-07-07
Global Mod Team

Member car:

V6 Spider and MiTo

Originally Posted by Russboy View Post
Lets not get carried away. There might actually be something wrong! Had to replace the dirvers side pre-tensioner recently at nearly £200 for parts and labour.......or wus I robbed?
It is possible that you were - dealers often come up with this. I have the full service history of mine and the pre-tensioner was replaced before I bought it 2.5 years ago. It has been on 9 times since then - always from adjusting the seat with the engine running (not always me). I am heading for a record 5 weeks of it being off and am almost begining to miss it.

Paul.
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 29-10-07
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

147 2.0L T-Spark Y Reg 01

if the soldering does fix this - why are you bothered about "if I need to take the seat out" like how often is that gonna happen - unless you need to fix something like oh, an airbag warning light!
which, oh thats right, you fixed it by soldering it!
well if you did need to remove the seat again then you'd just unsolder I guess right?
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 29-10-07
alfafamily

I've just read this thread for the first time and I've noticed that no one has mentioned seat belt pre tensioners. If these develop a fault it causes the air bag warning light to come on in lots of vehicles as it is part of the same system. Does anyone know if this is the case with Alfas?
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 29-10-07
AO Silver Member

Member car:

RIP 98 lusso Spider TS :(

Yes it is! and I think it is being suggested that they are being un necessarily replaced by some unscrupulous dealers when all is needed is a reset.

dan
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 10-01-08
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

147 2.0L T-Spark Y Reg 01

Hi does anyone know the best way to get to the airbag wiring loop under the seat?
Like from the back or front of the seat?
Do I have to take the seat out?!
Where do i lift the carpet- nearest the door or centre console?

many thanks!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
airbag, gtv, light, warning

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa-CF2-V6-Plenum-C...
Alfa-CF3-V6-Plenum-C...
Kleber Quadraxer...
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Ao Killarney Meet...

View David P's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
AO Club Members have access to more site features.

Click Here to compare the differences.

New To Site? Need Help?