ECUScan Help! Drivers? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Member

County: Shropshire

Member car:

Various

ECUScan Help! Drivers?

I'm wondering if anyone can help me to get this ECUScan thing up and running.

I've got a cable and I've downloaded ECUScan, the free version, but how do you get it to work?

I've got a little bit of paper that came with the cable, but it makes no sense.

It tells you to insert a CD for the drivers, but there was no CD with it. It also gives an address to download a file www.idiagnostics.co.uk/drivers/KKL.zip I assume this is another way of getting the drivers, but it doesn't say anything. I downloaded a .zip file via that link, but no idea what to do with it.

I'm using a Dell Laptop with Windows 7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Audi A3 & Alfa Spider V6

OK you need to 'unzip' the file using a program such as winrar (this is free just 'google' it). The take the file and uncompresses it ready for the computer to use. There appears to be a set of instructions on there as to how install the item from there.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

Originally Posted by GT Paddy View Post
OK you need to 'unzip' the file using a program such as winrar (this is free just 'google' it). The take the file and uncompresses it ready for the computer to use. There appears to be a set of instructions on there as to how install the item from there.
Thanks

I did see the instructions, but can't seem to get to that stage. That's picking up from where the PC recognises the cable and brings up a dialog box in the bottom right corner, but I can't get that to happen.

The first time I plugged the cable in it came up and said device was installed and ready to use, then it came up with another message saying something failed and something to do with drivers. Ever since then whenever I've plugged the cable in it makes the sound to say its plugged in, but can't see anywhere that acknowledged that the PC recognises that it's plugged in.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

I've unzipped that file and there's loads more files. No idea what any of them are, there's VAGCOM version something or another, but when I try and click on any of them it says they may not have been installed properly.

I downloaded a PDF of instructions from the multi ecuscan site, and that suggests you use drivers from ftdi or something like that or whatever was supplied.

Again, I downloaded drivers from ftdi, unzipped them (extract?) I think, then there was a folder without the zip on containing other files and other folders, none of which I have a clue what they are, none seem to do anything.

Instructions from multiecuscan look quite good apart from the fact that it just says install the drivers and doesn't explain how you do that?!
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

Right, I deleted what I installed earlier and started again.

I downloaded the zip file again and extracted it using winrar.

I now have a folder on my desktop titled kkl

Now, what should I do next? Is there a file in there that I need to open or install or do anything with so I have the correct thing before putting the cable in?

This is where I'm totally lost as it doesn't explain this stage anywhere.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A3 & Alfa Spider V6

Ok try this

1 Click on the window icon and click on control panel
2 Click hardware and sound
3 Click Device Manager
4 Once this is up, plug in the cable it should refresh and I hope show something with an exclamination mark next to it.
5 Right click on this and select update driver software
6 Select browse my computer
7. Go to the KKL folder on the desktop where hopefully the driver should be lurking

Hope this works!
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

I think between what you've said, the instruction file in the download and the PDF instructions for multiecuscan I've hopefully got it covered.

The only bit I'm not sure about now is when it comes to installing the drivers, what the actual file I have to choose is. Is it that KKL folder? Is it something in the KKL folder? Is it something in one of the folders that's inside the KKL folder? Or do I have to open a file inside the KKL folder to install something that gives me the driver file I'm looking for.

I think that's the only thing I can't quite fathom now!
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A3 & Alfa Spider V6

I think you just choose the KLL folder and windows selects the driver file from it. It is a while since I did that last!
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 04-12-12
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

2.0 TS Spider 1999

My cable came with a disk, are you sure the person you bought it from forgot to put it in with the cable.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

Ok try this

1 Click on the window icon and click on control panel
2 Click hardware and sound
3 Click Device Manager
4 Once this is up, plug in the cable it should refresh and I hope show something with an exclamination mark next to it.
5 Right click on this and select update driver software
6 Select browse my computer
7. Go to the KKL folder on the desktop where hopefully the driver should be lurking

Hope this works!
No, not working.

When I plug it in the thing refreshes, but nothing there with an exclamation mark at all.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

Scrap that, sorted that bit now.

But when it gets to the "browse for driver software in this location part" the FIATECUSCAN\USB_Driver thing comes up automatically, but click on "next" and it comes up with:

"Windows was unable to install your FT232R UART"

"Windows could not find driver software for your device."
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A3 & Alfa Spider V6

OK
Still do steps on to 3 but this time click on the items so it shows you further items that are in the tree. Mine appears in the ports (comm and LPT it is called a USB serial port) so I would open this one.

Plug the cable in and you should see it appear in this section. Then right click on it and update the driver as per the previous instructions
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

I've sorted the drivers side of things now. I downloaded the FTID ones as recommended in another thread I found on here for using MultiECUScan with Windows 7. I used that instead and tha worked fine, it now says device working properly and comes up as a serial port now and recognises it as COM4 etc.

So I tried it on the car, but it's now failing to connect to the ECU.

I followed the MultiECUScan User Guide and went into Advanced Port Settings, selected the lowest possible value for "Latency Times" as it suggested (1).

Next step it says if you have a built-in serial port or PL2303 USB Serial Port you will need to lower the buffers to minimum. It doesn't show you what you need to click on to get to the screen it shows though, and I can't see anything that looks relevant, so I'm assuming I don't have that, but I'm not sure though.

Anyway, on that I tried it on the car.

I selected GTV 3.0 '98 as it's an early Phase 2 and selected the Engine/Bosch Motronic with the 24v in it, assuming that's the correct one and assuming that's what a normal non-switchable cable can read as standard and when I press F10 to connect it says connect a 3-pin adaptor. I'm obviously using a 16-pin OBD plug, so just clicked to continue, it says it's trying to connect, that stays on for about 30 seconds, then it says it can't connect to the ECU.

???
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A3 & Alfa Spider V6

I did not fiddle with my latency time on my laptop it just worked.

Have you got a cable like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-FIAT-...item3a7b9f309c

If so you need to switch 1 to be active for the ECU, switch 2 does the airbags

If you are struggling with Fiat ECU Scan you could also try Alfa Diag which is free too
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

I did not fiddle with my latency time on my laptop it just worked.

Have you got a cable like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-FIAT-...item3a7b9f309c

If so you need to switch 1 to be active for the ECU, switch 2 does the airbags

If you are struggling with Fiat ECU Scan you could also try Alfa Diag which is free too
It's like that, but without the switch.

It's from here:

i-Diagnostics

It won't allow a direct link, but select Alfa GTV '98 3.0 V6 and it's the cable on the right.

I'm assuming the standard cable with no switch is set up for reading the engine ECU. I've also bought an extension cable with switched pins, which should read the airbag ECU.

On ECUScan, under the GTV 3.0 '98 options for engine, there are 3 more options for ECU's. The top one says that it's unable to connect, the bottom two come up with a list of specifications very briefly then say "free version restriction" or something like that.

All I want to do is get rid of the injection system warning light which came on when my MAF went, which I've now replaced.

And then get rid of the airbag light, since it's had a new pretensioner fitted.
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A3 & Alfa Spider V6

ECU Scan clears the airbag warning light but does not allow you to clear faults on the engine ECU unless you have the paid version.

You need Alfa Diag AlfaDiag Alfa Romeo Diagnostic Software

Have you tried doing the airbag just to see if it works?
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

Will Alfa Diag allow me to clear engine ECU faults on the free version then?

I did look on that site earlier, but which version do I download? The latest one? Or is that just for use with a fully paid up licence? The text confused me a little.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A3 & Alfa Spider V6

The latest version as all the demo restrictions have been removed. I have to admit it is not quite a friendly to use as ECU Scan. It will basically do everything.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

OK, I've downloaded Alfadiag and successfully connected it to the ECU, or so it says and comes up with data about it.

However, when I click on read fault codes, it says an unexpected error has occurred, and when you click to view the info, it comes up with this:

DnEcuDiag.Ecus.Exceptions.EcuException: Failed executing ReadFaultCodes. ---> DnEcuDiag.Protocols.Kwp2000Exception: ReadStatusOfDiagnosticTroubleCodes failed.ResponseCode[ServiceNotSupported]
at DnEcuDiag.Protocols.Kwp2000.ReadStatusOfDiagnostic TroubleCodes(Byte dtcHigh, Byte dtcLow)
at DnEcuDiag.Ecus.Kwp.KwpEcu.ReadFaultCodes()Response Code[ServiceNotSupported]
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Server stack trace:
at DnEcuDiag.Ecus.Kwp.KwpEcu.ReadFaultCodes()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink ._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink .AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.EndInvok eHelper(Message reqMsg, Boolean bProxyCase)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RemotingProxy.Invo ke(Object NotUsed, MessageData& msgData)
at DnEcuDiag.AsyncReadFaultCodes.EndInvoke(IAsyncResu lt result)
at DnEcuDiag.Forms.MainForm.HandleReadFaultCodes()
at DnEcuDiag.Common.ExecuteExceptionHandledDelegate(E xceptionHandledDelegate method)

It still says "reading the ECU's fault codes" at the bottom, but left it for 10 minutes and nothing is happening.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

My fault, seems like I connected to the wrong ECU, even though it said it was connected!

Got the right one now and found one fault code, which is correct. Clicked to clear it, it says successfully cleared, but the light has stayed on the dash!

So close! Any ideas?
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

Done it!

Cheers for your help!
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Audi A3 & Alfa Spider V6

Success! Glad you got it sorted. These cables are so useful for clearing the faults especially the airbag. Did you use Alfa Diag in the end for both?
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

I've not done the airbag yet. I bought a short extension cable to modify for reading the airbag, but I've not had it back from the guy who is soldering it yet, should have it back later today, so will give it a bash then.
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 05-12-12
AO Member

County: Staffordshire

Member car:

156 > 2005 GTV 2.0JTS

ECU Scan clears the airbag warning light but does not allow you to clear faults on the engine ECU unless you have the paid version.
My free FiatECUScan clears ECU codes, has done since I got it over a year ago. Maybe once upon a time?
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 06-12-12
AO Member

Member car:

Various

Airbag also done now.

Did that through ECUScan as it was easier to find the right one that way.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
drivers, ecuscan

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo GT...
L@@K~JUST...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Project Halo Uk -...

View JabawokJayUK's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?