GTV TS High co emissions MOt fail - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 01-02-11

County: Devon

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

GTV TS High co emissions MOt fail

GTV P1 2.0 ts 1996. Just wondered if anyone has had similar probs with high co . Passed for the MOT on idle

The Lambda and HC passed on first and 2nd fast idle but the CO was 0.4 on the first fast idle and o.9 on the 2nd. Anybody has any ideas Would be gratefull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

Member car:

2.0 TS Spider 1999

Yes, took my Spider 99 2.0TS ph 2 yesterday and failed on emissions, so I've got 3 weeks to get it sorted. There are a few Alfa garages near me around Watford, any recomendations or advise please.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 737

Member car:

AR 159 Lusso 1.9JTDm

Hi,

You have a plenty of choice in Alfa garages in this area.
1. You can go to ProAlfa in Watford and you can find some information and opinions about them on here. To be honest, I have never been there.
2. A little farther to the north is AutoLusso, where I usually go ther to do any major service. It takes you about 30 min to drive to them. Call Ned and his mechanics.
3. You can go to Jamie in Royston, Alfaworkshop. He has very good opinion on here and they've done a few things on my Gtv.
4. The fourth choice would be Veloces in New Barnet. They are good but not the cheapest one.
5. Or any main Alfa dealer (one is in Hemel Hempstead).

Cheers
Claudius

Klaudiusz
--------------------
www.fotogalleria.info

"No Alfa, no fun!"
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

2.0 TS Spider 1999

Many thanks for the pointers, Claudius
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Silver Member

County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

2005 147 JTD

try giving the injectors a good clean with some redex or the like, also just to help that little bit i filled mine with BP ultimate and ran it on that for a couple of weeks leading up to the test and had that in for the test as it al;legedly burns slightly cleaner than standard fuel
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Going to try a minor service first with air filter & new plugs then perhaps check the Coolant temp sensor and AFM. If that's not enough I suppose will have to start thiningk about the cat. The lambda is switching as went for a re-try on the analyzer after a blast and engine temps up, you can see its trying to pull the co down but just cant. I Wonder if the injectors have a bad spray pattern or perhaps leaking? Bit of a bummer as it only needed brakes sorted for the rest of the Mot! Anyhow its burning rich, almost like a carb with choke stuck on!
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

2.0 TS Spider 1999

Is your car getting up to temperature, just below 90 degrees? If it's around the mid marker you will need to change the thermostat, as otherwise it will run rich. I've changed mine last week, so I know that's not the problem on mine. Nothing else wrong on mine, which as you say is a bummer.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11
AO Member

County: Swansea

Member car:

GTV V6 ,156 1.9

I'd go with a service and the above suggestion of some injector cleaner, I've done this before (on non alfas) and 90% of the time it sorts it out.

It starts getting expensive after that

No obvious running issues I take it?
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 02-02-11

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

It only gets up to temperature in town driving, on the run it never makes 90 but sits around the mid mark, put that down to winter temp's as I have never had a GTV (or any car with a specific centigrade indicator!) so I will change the stat, cheers alfapush for that. It could be a combination of things I suppose, I will do a process of elimination (cheapest first) I was looking at the FiatECUscan software (now with the older GTV'S ECU'S catered for) ,that seems very interesting, it could possibly pinpoint any other, related problems. Of course I would need to learn how to use it first! . Will put some injector cleaner through the system but I need to find out why she's burning rich it could be that the cat has been damaged with excess vapour, as the exhaust gas stinks of petrol! As for running ok, sometimes & not very often, upon starting she dies if I dont keep the revs up for a while. ie wont idle. will keep at it and keep all posted as to how I get on as it could be usefull for someone in the future.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

2.0 TS Spider 1999

Fiat ecu scan is easy to use and you can download the free version easily(although not everything is on this). You will need to buy a cable,to connect the laptop to the car. I bought and recommend the switched cable, from ebay, you can buy an unswitched cable but you will need to modify it, to use it, I didn't want the hassle. I bought the stat from Rapid parts on ebay about £40, easy to fit and you will notice a difference staight away. There is a very interesting site called Just Lambda it fully explains then in's & out's of what it does, faults, fitting, good pics etc. It also states they should be checked/replaced every 30,000 miles. With regard to idle problems, that might be the idle control activator, it sits on top of where the throttle cable connects to and the hose at the end of the airtake system. The are several links on here that you can check out.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-11

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

Thanks, found a vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator well split, dont know how much that would influence the enrichment?
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-11
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

BMW 528i SE

When my 145 Cloverleaf failed its MOT on high CO, a new Lambda sensor sorted it.

The old one was switching slowly, which is very common as they get older.

The car ran fine even though the lambda needed changing.
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-11
AO Gold Member

County: Western Cape

Member car:

159 3.2 V6 Ti, GTV 3.2 Q2

Originally Posted by anoldsud View Post
Thanks, found a vacuum hose on the fuel pressure regulator well split, dont know how much that would influence the enrichment?
A split vacuum hose could well mean failed emissions as the vacuum hose assists in opening the regulator to bypass fuel to the tank. Repair this and service your car while replacing the air filter. Hopefully that's all that will be required
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-11
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire

Member car:

BMW 528i SE

I don't think that would make a lot of difference to the emissions.

The reason being the injectors control the amount of fuel going in, all the regulator does is control fuel pressure at the fuel rail.

If you were to increase the fuel pressure (If the valve was malfunctioning) the Lambda sensor should detect the overly rich mixture and shorten the injector duration to compensate.

High CO is caused by partly burned fuel from a rich mixture, or a mixture that isn't being ignited properly.

For me that either points at the Lambda, MAF or spark plugs. If the car otherwise seems to drive ok it probably isn't the MAF.

One way of checking for a slow switching lambda is to get the engine warm, then with the car stationary attempt to hold the revs at 2000rpm. If the needle on the rev counter moces side to side then the Lambda is probably faulty.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 03-02-11
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

1998 Spider 2.0 Lusso

CATs are not the major expense they used to be these days.

I got a pattern CAT for my twinny last year for about 130 quid (maybe a bit less, cant remember) and its been perfect.

Seeing as a set of plugs will cost you 70odd, a CAT isnt the major headache it used to be, IMO
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 21-03-11

Member car:

GTV 2.0 TS

thanks guys been away at sea. I tried her again & failed idle co this time ! Done everything else new plugs so now I'm replacing the lambda and the cat. Will keep you posted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTV & 916 Spider

Tags
emissions, fail, gtv, high, mot

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa Romeo 156...
2009 Alfa Romeo...
2011 Alfa Romeo...
Alfa Romeo GT...
L@@K~JUST...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Project Halo Uk -...

View JabawokJayUK's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Within your User Control Panel, you can change the way AO works:
For example, to change the number of posts per page, go to Edit Options and scroll down to 'Thread Display Options'. In the section 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page' select a desired amount.

New To Site? Need Help?