Is it illegal to drive without a headlight in the daytime? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTA

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
AO Silver Member

County: East Sussex

Member car:

Merc C220 CDI and 147 GTA

Is it illegal to drive without a headlight in the daytime?

I have finally fixed my headlight but it is now quite horrible outside so I don't fancy fitting it. I have a Service booked on Saturday with Autolusso some 100miles away. As the indicator is separate is there a legal issue driving up there without it fitted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG

Technically it is unroadworthy, but you would probably get away with it providing it is daylight and the weather stays good.
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

Member car:

156 GTA SW + CMax 1.8

Was reading an article in a magazine about daytime MoT certification being available. Covers all the same stuff, but doesn't cover side or headlights. Was in relation to a track car which didn't have headlights at all.

On a practical note, if you do get pulled by a plod, you'll poss get a rectification order to fix it.

I drive from Exeter to Peterborough in a car with no bonnet or front bumper a fair few years ago. I asked a friendly plod about it and was advised that as long as it showed a number plate it'd be fine so I stuck it to the front of the car with duck tape. No trouble despite passing much plod in the days you actually saw them.

2003 Miro Red 156 SW with CDA, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit springs, 330 Brembos with drilled GT discs and anthracite teledials.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

I'd agree with David - bearing in mind you'd be on your way to a garage, I think it'd be a miserable plod who didn't let you off.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

It is a right saga. I had to fix one of the bolt anchors as it had come loose and sorted that last week. Just went to put the actual headlight together and a different one came loose so have just had to glue that one lol.

Guess I will just have to see what the weather is like tomorrow tbh. Says it is dry but you cannot be sure tbh. Failing that I guess I will risk it if I do it I will be fitting polythene over it with tape so from a passing traffic point of view it won't be that obvious

POSTED USING MY IPHONE

Pearl White Alfa Romeo 147 GTA - Front end resprayed, new gearbox with Q2, Aluminum Sump Guard, anthracite refurbed alloys, private "GTA" plate, PF Brake Pads, GTV Manifolds + "Gotcha" Equal length front pipes, VERY LOUD Wizardovoz cat back exhaust with QWT centre, K&N panel filter and snorkel removed.
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

A pushbike

You mean drive without a headlight in place? A hole?

I'd imagine this would be illegal. Something to do with injuring pedestrians should you hit them.
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Yep a hole but would tape it up. Probably only dangerous to dwarfs as anyone else would go over the bonnet
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

A pushbike

Having sharp edges (which would be the case if the light was missing) is an MOT failure, and you could get in trouble for having an unroadworthy car
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 06-09-11
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Audi TT 3.2v6 DSG

Having a gaping hole where the headlight should be would make it a target to any Policeman that was having a quiet day.
It you have the light unit in the boot you can at least try to make the excuse that it has come loose on-route and you have removed to save it falling out and you are on your way to a garage.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

It's dry today and hopefully will stay that way in which can I will be fitting it and swearing about it later
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
Regional Representative
For West Midlands - AOWM

County: West Midlands

Member car:

GT 1.9 Q2 SE/MiTo TB 155

I have always understood that if you are booked into a garage/service station for the work to be done then you are covered to drive from your normal place of residence to said garage/service station in time for your appointment but not general driving.
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

147 2.0 Lusso

Its not illegal to drive with a headlight missing unless the parts are deemed as dangerous,ie the front leading edge of the wing exposed and then its down to the cop to decide and give you a ticket(3 points and £60).If he wants to be really awkward you can also get a pg9 issued which is a prohibition which means you cant drive your car till been sorted and checked by mot station.
If caught at night with light missing its a 30 pounder fixed penalty... again if cop is bored.
you are allowed to drive to a mot station for a mot but the appointment must be pre booked.
But to be honest if you get stopped by a traffic cop your unlucky!! cos we are slowly being made extinct!!
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Originally Posted by leeenty View Post
Its not illegal to drive with a headlight missing unless the parts are deemed as dangerous,ie the front leading edge of the wing exposed and then its down to the cop to decide and give you a ticket(3 points and £60).If he wants to be really awkward you can also get a pg9 issued which is a prohibition which means you cant drive your car till been sorted and checked by mot station.
If caught at night with light missing its a 30 pounder fixed penalty... again if cop is bored.
you are allowed to drive to a mot station for a mot but the appointment must be pre booked.
But to be honest if you get stopped by a traffic cop your unlucky!! cos we are slowly being made extinct!!
Thanks for that

I'm guessing you are a traffic cop going by the "we" so take your advice with a bit more weigh.

Tbh it will be a last resort and I would make it safe if it came to it
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 118
County: Greater London

Member car:

GT 3.2 V6, 2.0 GTV

forced induction anyone?
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
forced induction anyone?
You getting at the jap car thing of taking out the headlight for dyno runs and trips to Santa pod?
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
Unregistered

County: Surrey

Member car:

147 GTA, Alfasud '82 TI S

Originally Posted by leeenty View Post
This is where this country is going wrong.

It's completely unacceptable for a Police Officer to become Judge, Jury and Executioner.

I see they will soon been given the power of giving 6 points and £200 fine on the spot for ‘dangerous driving’.

Given that most officers are on complete power trips and are disrespectful to all most everyone, especially motorists - It's probably not the best idea to give them the power to judge what is or isn't dangerous or careless driving. It should be upto the courts to decide after hearing both sides of a story
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA, SC 16v, Punto GT

If you are on the way to a garage who can repair the defect etc... then I would say that would be fine. Although I would not do daily driving / commute with it like it. Only drive it on the day it can be remedied.

Bare in mind that your headlights are also a requirement in the day during adverse weather (imo there is nothing worse than a numpty who doesn't use headlights in torrential rain!).

With that in mind as long as the driving is to a repair garage all will be ok.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

147 2.0 Lusso

Originally Posted by Luke Skywalker View Post
This is where this country is going wrong.

It's completely unacceptable for a Police Officer to become Judge, Jury and Executioner.

I see they will soon been given the power of giving 6 points and £200 fine on the spot for ‘dangerous driving’.

Given that most officers are on complete power trips and are disrespectful to all most everyone, especially motorists - It's probably not the best idea to give them the power to judge what is or isn't dangerous or careless driving. It should be upto the courts to decide after hearing both sides of a story
Ouch
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

In defence of the traffic officer I generally find them to be far more amenable than your usual plod. I've been pulled over three times and each time they've been fine. Haven't even had a bollocking, just an, "I'm sorry, but we really can't let you carry on at that speed".
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Right well it wasn't raining when I got back at 7 so I used that hour of daylight wisely so she is now all together and working

Just need to fix this poxy Toyota corolla next...
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Guilietta 170bhp diesel

Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers View Post
In defence of the traffic officer I generally find them to be far more amenable than your usual plod. I've been pulled over three times and each time they've been fine. Haven't even had a bollocking, just an, "I'm sorry, but we really can't let you carry on at that speed".
Well I was stopped by Mr Weiner plod on my own in the middle of the night. I'd been at work for 20 hours on my way home didn't look at my speedo, just wanted to go to bed and they stopped me, breathalysed me even though there was no reason or suspicion, sent me to court, with the skanks from local shameless estates getting £30 fines for assault, they fined me £500 and 6 points, and there was no victim, no damage, no hurt and they exceeded my speed trying to catch me!! David Cameron's chauffeur ignored a red light on the night of the election and it was on national TV and they won't press charges!! Most traffic coppers are bullies with no concept of real policing and crime. They seem to let off all the girls going a lot faster than the lads in my town!! Sorry but if you are a copper in England today, we think you are nothing more than one of Hitlers brown shirts from a few years ago. Yo don't serve the people any more and it's all about the money!!!

Last edited by rhett71; 07-09-11 at 19:34. Reason: Not enough vitriole!!
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

You must have been going at quite a lick to get done like that though? Whenever I've been caught a fair whack over, I've just said fair enough.
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Originally Posted by rhett71 View Post
whinging!!
Or... you were breaking the law and you've only yourself to blame. From the description, the speed you were doing and aren't telling us was somewhere in the region of ridiculous. If you want to speed, fair enough - but suck it up when you get caught.
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Guilietta 170bhp diesel

they said 93 in a 60, I couldn't beleive it myself but you can't challenge it, it could even have been the figure from when they tested it using their vehicle for all I know. It was 11:00pm at night and not another car on the road for miles!! I just had to roll over and take it. Beleive me you don't want to go to court if you've got anything to lose, it was like I was being psychoanalysed to determine my sentance. Whatever they ask make sure you respond that you will go to work no matter whether they ban you or not!!
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 07-09-11
AO Silver Member

Member car:

I'm sure if you cry they will let you off.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTA

Tags
daytime, drive, headlight, illegal

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
Alfa romeo 156 jtd...
2003 alfa romeo 156...
2012 ALFA ROMEO...
Alfa Romeo 147 JTD
Alfa romeo gt 1.9...

Alfa Romeo

Recent Image

Img 0961

View ALFAPAT's images

Search

Forums

Classifieds

Gallery

Social Groups

Members

Did you know..?
Did you know..?
Clicking the small triangle on the right hand side of every post will take you to the top of the page.
Very handy as you can instantly reach the site navigation bar!

New To Site? Need Help?