Test drove Giulia Quadrifilio today. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 13Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 35 Old 29-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: Armagh
Test drove Giulia Quadrifilio today.

I thought I could avoid the temptation of the new Giulia but was irresistibly drawn to my local showroom today. What a machine. The problem I have is that I would need to sell one of my other beloved Alfa's to get it. But which one? I have a 147 GTA (48k), a 166 3.0 Sportronic, and a Gt 3.2. All beautifully kept and cherished. All opinions welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Gauteng
Out of those three, sell the GT. The least special car of the three.
AO Silver Member

County: Cheshire
Will you get enough for the 166 to cover your it?

(Post Link) post #4 of 35 Old 30-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

The GT puts up a formidable defence of itself; completely restored from head to toe in the past 18 months. Drives and looks brand new.
AO Member

County: Cumbria

Member car:

3.2GT & GQVline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA37 View Post
The GT puts up a formidable defence of itself; completely restored from head to toe in the past 18 months. Drives and looks brand new.
Would be good to see some photos of your GT 😁. I thought about possibly selling my GT towards the deposit for a 4C on PCP, so that I could then by in full after 4 yrs for 22.5k. I can't realistically see 4C's currently for sale depreciating down to that value.
(Post Link) post #6 of 35 Old 30-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

I'll post you some photos later today.
The car has had the following work just done; full engine rebuild and detailed, koni fsds & springs, new rear brake assembly, q2, new windscreen, new door handles, all badges new, new steering wheel and gear knob, full body respray which a local detailer described as nearly flawless, new exterior trim, some switchgear renewed, 5 refurbished multi spokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch65 View Post
Quote:
Would be good to see some photos of your GT 😁. I thought about possibly selling my GT towards the deposit for a 4C on PCP, so that I could then by in full after 4 yrs for 22.5k. I can't realistically see 4C's currently for sale depreciating down to that value.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

GT V6 and 145 TS

Out of the 3, the 147 GTA seems to be winning in terms of current value, so you would probably get the most for that if you sold it, although, it is probably the one to keep out of the 3 in the long term?

Sell the 166 and GT (and I say that as a fellow GT 3.2 owner).
(Post Link) post #8 of 35 Old 30-12-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Don't know what colour they say this leather was but it is much richer than these photos show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3561_1483101167868.jpg (91.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3558_1483101208800.jpg (83.8 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3559_1483101236533.jpg (120.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3562_1483101280723.jpg (76.6 KB, 57 views)
Fletch65 likes this.
AO Member

County: Cumbria

Member car:

3.2GT & GQVline

Great pics - your GT looks excellent. I'm sure the paint colour is Lipari Grey. I test drove one in exactly the same colours (paint and trim) in Norfolk in 2008, but it had sold by the time a got back from holiday 1 week later. It convinced me that I wanted to by a GT rather than a 147 or 156 GTA to get the best of what they'd could offer and be a newer car.
AO Member

County: Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorget2 View Post
Out of those three, sell the GT. The least special car of the three.
166 more special than the GT? Someone been hitting the sauce hard over the festive period.
eivindcl likes this.
AO Member

County: Herts

Member car:

Oh, bum

If you could only keep one and it was molly-coddled I'd say keep the 147, but if you could only keep one that had to be used as a disposable daily, I'd say the 166 since it'll be worth the least for the foreseeable future, and is most likely to need uneconomic gearbox repairs.
AO Gold Member

County: Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimmerydolmeo View Post
166 more special than the GT? Someone been hitting the sauce hard over the festive period.
166 eats all over the GT in the way it is more special.
AO Silver Member

The 166 is definitely more special. The GT is a dime a dozen compared to the 166.

They made fewer than 100 000 of the 166, and a 3.0 Sportronic is a rare beast indeed - fewer than 200 ever sold in the UK, with fewer than 40 of those being pre-facelift.

The 3.2 GT is a lot more common compared to that, with about 500 brought to the UK out of the nearly 4500 produced.
AO Member

Member car:

Oh, bum

Quote:
The 166 is definitely more special. The GT is a dime a dozen compared to the 166.

They made fewer than 100 000 of the 166, and a 3.0 Sportronic is a rare beast indeed - fewer than 200 ever sold in the UK, with fewer than 40 of those being pre-facelift.

The 3.2 GT is a lot more common compared to that, with about 500 brought to the UK out of the nearly 4500 produced.
Unfortunately value seldom has anything to do with rarity, more often it's to do with looks and how good the car's perceived to be. For instance I owned a Bond Equipe GT 2+2, one of only 4 still running. But nobody knew what the hell it was despite it looking like a mini Aston Martin, so it was worth slightly less than a bog-standard MK2 Cortina. Or, say, the Alfa 75, widely regarded as a great car and the 'last true Alfa', but cursed with awkward looks, ergonomics, and the '80s Italian car' rep, which makes it worth a fraction of what it should be worth.

And let's face it, the pre-facelift 166's 'face' is definitely an acquired taste, and the Sportronic has a certain, erm, reputation, so it's unlikely to ever be worth much more than the sum of it's parts.

OTOH it should all be down to which one(s) the OP enjoys driving the most, not which one will be the most valuable.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

Rarity can also be caused by lack of demand in the first place.
mj2k likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent
Garage
the 166 would be my choice to keep out of those three...I know I would 100% keep my 166 over my 156 GTA Sportwagon (which is more like the GT and 147 GTA than the 166)....the reason is that the 166 is overall a better car than the GTA...(The GTA is a very special car, don't get me wrong, I love it...but the 166 is a better car to live with overall)

However, you will also have the Guilia in the equation. For long distance cruising you'll be using the Guilia right? So it probably is more of a replacement for the 166 if anything. However, you'll be lucky to sell the 166 for more than a grand...

So, you may as well sell the MiTo right??
(Post Link) post #17 of 35 Old 01-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goremohekan View Post
the 166 would be my choice to keep out of those three...I know I would 100% keep my 166 over my 156 GTA Sportwagon (which is more like the GT and 147 GTA than the 166)....the reason is that the 166 is overall a better car than the GTA...(The GTA is a very special car, don't get me wrong, I love it...but the 166 is a better car to live with overall)

However, you will also have the Guilia in the equation. For long distance cruising you'll be using the Guilia right? So it probably is more of a replacement for the 166 if anything. However, you'll be lucky to sell the 166 for more than a grand...

So, you may as well sell the MiTo right??

Who said I had a MITO? I bloody do. An SBK.

The 166 is presently in getting a full restoration. A decision made before I seriously started thinking about the QV. The brakes alone are 1k.

As to value. This is dependent on 3 things. Condition, desirability and patience.

6 years ago I was sucked into a brand new Mercedes E class 350. A sound motor in many respects but deadly, deadly boring. After 3 years and having tested the jag F type and realising "life was too short to drive boring cars" I sold the car for cash and bought the 166 I presently own and the Mito SBK. I paid the 10k for a minter with 21k on the clock and brilliant provenance - in many respects the car I should have bought 3 years before. I drove the car as my main commute for the next 3 years and even if it was worth your 1k valuation that car cost me 9k over those 3 years. The E Class cost me 23k. I loved one and hated the other.

This makes sense to me but probably few others. The Mercedes was a very expensive car to own but the Alfa while 3 times book at the time turned out a very cheap and classy car. I always feel special driving it. I felt completely anonymous in the Mercedes.

I intend driving the bussos (2 or 3 of them in rotation) for the daily commute. The QV is a weekend car.
AO Member

Member car:

Oh, bum

Well, that's one of your 'keepers' sorted then

Which is your next favorite Busso to drive?

BTW I know what you mean about Mercs, though admittedly I haven't owned a post-GM one. I've owned a W124 diesel estate and a 190. Neither was anywhere near as bullet-proof as their reputations would suggest, and neither was particularly memorable to drive, except for enjoying the Mercedes 'crosshair' in the middle of the bonnet.

Last edited by mj2k; 01-01-17 at 21:26.
AO Member

County: Limerick
Quote:
Who said I had a MITO? I bloody do. An SBK.

The 166 is presently in getting a full restoration. A decision made before I seriously started thinking about the QV. The brakes alone are 1k.

As to value. This is dependent on 3 things. Condition, desirability and patience.

6 years ago I was sucked into a brand new Mercedes E class 350. A sound motor in many respects but deadly, deadly boring. After 3 years and having tested the jag F type and realising "life was too short to drive boring cars" I sold the car for cash and bought the 166 I presently own and the Mito SBK. I paid the 10k for a minter with 21k on the clock and brilliant provenance - in many respects the car I should have bought 3 years before. I drove the car as my main commute for the next 3 years and even if it was worth your 1k valuation that car cost me 9k over those 3 years. The E Class cost me 23k. I loved one and hated the other.

This makes sense to me but probably few others. The Mercedes was a very expensive car to own but the Alfa while 3 times book at the time turned out a very cheap and classy car. I always feel special driving it. I felt completely anonymous in the Mercedes.

I intend driving the bussos (2 or 3 of them in rotation) for the daily commute. The QV is a weekend car.
I never understand the whole "its not worth repairing" mindset based upon book value. If anything a car that has stopped depreciating is the only one worth spending money on

I'm only realising now that the 166 is by far the most under rated modern Alfa. I love it!
mortym, Almo and maxiboy wales like this.
(Post Link) post #20 of 35 Old 01-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
Well, that's one of your 'keepers' sorted then http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/image...es/thumbup.gif

Which is your next favorite Busso to drive?

BTW I know what you mean about Mercs, though admittedly I haven't owned a post-GM one. I've owned a W124 diesel estate and a 190. Neither was anywhere near as bullet-proof as their reputations would suggest, and neither was particularly memorable to drive, except for enjoying the Mercedes 'crosshair' in the middle of the bonnet.
The three are completely different as you would expect. If I'm going for a long trip I take the 166; those seats and the sportronic make for a very pleasurable and relaxing/refreshing drive. The 147 with its coilovers and aftermarket exhaust is very racy and loud and by far the fastest and more aggressive. It gets a run out when the sun shines and it's dry. The GT sits nicely in between. I'm driving it most at the moment as it still has a bit of warranty on it from the sale. Enjoying it very much.

Btw, I had a look at the Mercedes c63 yesterday. Beautiful machine.
AO Member

Member car:

Oh, bum

Quote:
The three are completely different as you would expect. If I'm going for a long trip I take the 166; those seats and the sportronic make for a very pleasurable and relaxing/refreshing drive. The 147 with its coilovers and aftermarket exhaust is very racy and loud and by far the fastest and more aggressive. It gets a run out when the sun shines and it's dry. The GT sits nicely in between. I'm driving it most at the moment as it still has a bit of warranty on it from the sale. Enjoying it very much.

Btw, I had a look at the Mercedes c63 yesterday. Beautiful machine.
Sounds like you've got No 2 sorted if you only get to keep two then

Doubt my budget would ever stretch to an AMG in anything other than thrashed-to-death condition, but the C63 does look and sound good. It also seems to have been pretty reliable and gives the M3 a good run for it's money, so that may well be the first really good non-sl-class Merc in quite a while.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj2k View Post
Unfortunately value seldom has anything to do with rarity,

OTOH it should all be down to which one(s) the OP enjoys driving the most, not which one will be the most valuable.

I did not mention anything about "value" or price of the cars, did I?

I said the 166 was more special. Not that it is or will be more valuable (higher priced) than the GT.
AO Member

Member car:

Oh, bum

Quote:
I did not mention anything about "value" or price of the cars, did I?

I said the 166 was more special. Not that it is or will be more valuable (higher priced) than the GT.
Nope, but the rest of the thread was mostly about value.

Either way, the OP enjoys driving the 166 more than the others, which makes it special to him too, but you can't automatically assume everyone else would feel the same way as you. For example my Pug 306 cabriolet feels really special to me (it's a v rare model, 400 built, 40 surviving, made to showcase the new car / ferry tennis pros around during the 1995 Roland Garros tournament), but I doubt many other people outside France would think it was particularly special. Incidentally it's not particularly valuable in the UK either.
AO Member

County: Dorset
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by a17esh View Post
166 eats all over the GT in the way it is more special.
Well I guess that puts that argument to bed!
AO Member

County: Cornwall
Keep all 4.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa GTA

Tags
drove , giulia , quadrifilio , test , today

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page