Pela oil extractor and the JTDM engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By symon
  • 1 Post By Cuore_Sportivo_155

(Post Link) post #1 of 17 Old 29-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Warning Pela oil extractor and the JTDM engine

I changed the oil on my car today, and decided to conduct an experiment along the way.

The last time I changed the oil I was unable to get the sump plug undone due to lack of appropriate tools and a new sump plug, so I sucked the oil from the dipstick tube using my Pela oil extractor.

I was a bit suspicious that I hadn't got all of the old oil out as I only managed to suck out 3.5 litres or so.

Anyway, fast forward until today as it was oil change time again. I had invested in a better tool to undo the sump plug , as well as a new one for when the old one was damaged as it was removed.

But beforehand I sucked out as much oil as I could through the dipstick hole. Again about 3.5 litres came out.

I then undid the sump plug (with a chisel tapping around the edge in case anyone asks) and about a further 1 litre of jet black oil came out.

It looks to me like the dipstick tube isn't over the lowest part of the sump, but instead the flat part to the right of the lowest part (when looking at the car from the front) as you simply cannot push the tube in far enough to get all of the oil out.

Also it is worth a mention again, what idiot though it was a good idea to locate the oil filter where it is? That requires a 32mm spanner in case anyone was wondering...

So, if you are thinking about using a garage that insists on an oil extractor, or you are planning on doing the job that way yourself my advice is don't. Use the proper drain method otherwise you are are just going to contaminate your new oil with a litre of the old stuff.

My engine now runs noticeably more quietly than it did before as well.

You will never be cool driving a Vauxhall, especially if it catches fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Guilietta

Whenever I change my oil and filter there is always some oil in the filter housing that goes all over the subframe. Does this help to reduce that?
(Post Link) post #3 of 17 Old 29-05-16 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Unfortunately not by the look of it.

I did make a channel piece from some cardboard in an attempt to stop that happening, but this time it didn't seem to work. Last time I got it spot on but this time I ended up with oil on the subframe and on the driveway...

At least old oil prevents rust.

(Post Link) post #4 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

I had to use a pela 6000 today to do a oil change because my sump plug was stuck and I had broke two 1/4 inch straight bars trying to get it off. I had seen some bad reviews on here so was hesitant but everything went great. I have a 1.6 Giulietta which holds 4l of oil in sump and 0.2 in filter and the pela extracted 4l of oil from the sump. Im not going to use it every time and next time I change the oil and filter I will be getting it in a garage to replace the stuck plug but for every other service it will be fine.
(Post Link) post #5 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

Guilietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy43 View Post
I had to use a pela 6000 today to do a oil change because my sump plug was stuck and I had broke two 1/4 inch straight bars trying to get it off. I had seen some bad reviews on here so was hesitant but everything went great. I have a 1.6 Giulietta which holds 4l of oil in sump and 0.2 in filter and the pela extracted 4l of oil from the sump. Im not going to use it every time and next time I change the oil and filter I will be getting it in a garage to replace the stuck plug but for every other service it will be fine.
I wouldn't use a 1/4 drive for anything over 13mm AF on a car, so an 8mm thread is about your limit. Get a good quality 1/2 drive single hex socket for the sump plug, I think its 19mm but someone on here will know for sure, and you won't be having any trouble doing this yourself other than the filter housing oil spill. The filter housing needs the o-ring oiling and should only ever be done up by hand.
(Post Link) post #6 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
User Unknown

Provided you always use a fresh brass washer every time you do an oil change, very little torque is required to tighten the sump nut sufficiently.

(Post Link) post #7 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Member

Member car:

Guilietta

is it not a dowty washer
(Post Link) post #8 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

The sump plug has a 13m hex, but is 19mm fine pitched thread I think.

I used a six sided impact socket with a 1/2" drive, and fitted a new plug after.

Make sure you are trying to undo it the correct way. That might sound silly but it is easily done if you are upside down yourself.
Liamski likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago

I only had a 13mm six sided socket in 1/4 inch, my 1/2 inch drive is one of them multi point ones. The only single 1/2 inch sockets I could find were online only so I have ordered one and will crack off the plug next service. Its a real daft design for the plug. Its the worst car to service that I have ever had for sure, everything is a pain in the ar*e to get to. Pretty tho
(Post Link) post #10 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

If you have a small chisel you could very carefully tap the outer edge of the plug to get it to undo.

Because you are futher from the centre of the bolt it should undo more easily.

You need to be very careful not to damage anything though, and replace the plug once done.

the plugs are only a couple of quid from ebay as they are the same as on many Vauxhalls.

I had a new plug ready to replace the stuck one, I will sort it next time now ive put all the undertray etc back on Will probably end up tapping it off with a chisel. I had to tap the oil filter housing off with a flat screwdriver because I only had the socket to fit the hex end and it wouldn't fit. Didn't want to scuff up the thing by using grips, the flat and hammer worked a treat
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
Did anyone ever try to loosen the oil filter cap to break the seal and let air in, but leave the cap on afew minutes while you go over other thingsincluded in maintenance?

That's how I do all those cartridge filters, this allows the oil to drain to the sump. Do it right and you hardly spill a drop.
andypj likes this.
AO Member

County: Shropshire
Garage
Good tip definitely going to try this
😊👍
(Post Link) post #14 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

I thought that the end of the oil filter faces downwards, so much of the oil would still be trapped.
AO Member

Member car:

Guilietta

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
I thought that the end of the oil filter faces downwards, so much of the oil would still be trapped.
Have agree with this but I do my car on ramps, might be true for a car horizontal on a 4 post lift?
(Post Link) post #16 of 17 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

If you jacked the drivers side right up and had the passenger side on the ground you might get more out of the filter housing.

My Golf had a small plug at the bottom of the filter cap so that you could drain the oil before removing the housing properly.

I much prefer metal cartridge oil filters to this housing and insert nonsense.
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
it's easier to inspect the filter condition this way, that's a big plus. You woudn't believe how some filters look (twisted, crushed, solidified with soot to a lump of coal) if there's sqomething wrong with the oil, oil change interval, use conditions or the engine itself.

Also, there's a LOT more filtration surface compared to similar sized cans. Only about half of the can contents is actual filtration media.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
engine , extractor , jtdm , oil , pela

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page