Start and stop - quirk or fault?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

Home Forums AO Club Member Gallery Classifieds Trade Directory  

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-12
AO Silver Member

County: East Dunbartonshire

Member car:

Me Giuily/Sprint 1.7QV

Start and stop - quirk or fault??

Just getting used to this start and stop malarkey but suspect mine isn't working correctly. In short is stops for a couple of seconds then immediately re-starts. Car in neutral, footbrake on and occasionally handbrake too, sometimes both at once. Tried with aircon on and off, makes no difference.
Yet sometimes it seems to work as it should. Any ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-12

County: -

Member car:

Giulietta

According to the handbook, the Stop Start will not operate if engine is not warm enough, or battery levels are low. As your rightly mention, with the A/C running, which uses more electric power, it should not be stopping if it's a battery issue.
Does your restarting happen when it's not been running for very long?
  #3 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-12
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA, 1.1 Saxo

I went 240 miles to Edinburgh last weekend. At no time going up on Friday did the stop start/work. I expected it not to work when we left as previously there had been a lot of short journeys and I think the battery was a bit low. However after 240 miles I did expect it to work in the Edinburgh city traffic but it didn't. The car was parked up all day Saturday. When I came to use it Sunday morning S/S worked.

Mine does seem a bit hit and miss. I suspect the battery is not perfect as the car is an ex-demonstrator and it is possible that the battery may have been flattened on a number of occasions by the car being displayed with doors and boot open. However this is one of the downsides of buying a demonstrator and if it needs a new battery in a year or two so be it.

In summary I think there are so many things that can effect stop/start that you or I will never get to the bottom of why it works or doesn't.
  #4 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-12
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 TB 120bhp

It took a long time and a few long trips before my S&S started working. However it still sometimes turn off the engine and then turn it on again after 5-10 seconds even though I don't touch anything.
  #5 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-12
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

2012 March posse VeloceMA

I find this really weird, I do a dozen short journeys of 1-2miles a week and my S&S always activates (if I forget to turn the damn thing off).

The air con is always running & the G does one good journey of approx 30miles a week

The reason I detest it so much is that the activation point and the natural clutch bite point are differefent, I have to push the clutch in further to restart the engine and consequently look and feel like I'm dithering on pull off
  #6 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-12
Regional Representative
For South Scotland - AOSS

County: West Lothian

Member car:

159 SW Ti, Giulietta MA

Ours never works, Steven, but then maybe that's because our start-up procedure is:
1. Turn key
2. Switch to 'D'
3. Turn off S&S
4. Drive off with a smile, .
  #7 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-12
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta TCT MA170, 4007

Mine, when the car was brand new, worked but now after some 500 miles it stopped ? It seems to me that it learned that it make no sense for our traffic to deactivate engine as almoast all stops were under 30 seconds. So now I am not "angry" because it does not work (it was almoast my silent wish that stays in this way ) but more qurious why is it this way.
  #8 (Post Link)  
Old 03-08-12
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Giulietta 140 JTDm Veloce

It definitely seems hit and miss on here. Ours works everyone after a cold start. We drive in the city so it gets a good work out!
  #9 (Post Link)  
Old 04-08-12
AO Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

11 Giulietta 2.0jtdm

i now automatically switch mine off, as last Saturday, the starter motor decided to throw a wobbler. the nice man from the AA said they are getting endless calls from owners of all manner of cars with SS, all with faulty starter motors. some fail, some just stop in the wrong position, and need jumping back into life, by being shorted out.
mine was the latter. however, need to have it looked at, and hopefully get the starter changed.
so we have lost confidence in the SS for the time being. and kill it immediately.
  #10 (Post Link)  
Old 04-08-12
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

giukietta

I hate the start stop feature, its the first button i hit when i get in the car and wish there was a way to disable. I doubt very much it saves a lot of fuel.
  #11 (Post Link)  
Old 04-08-12
AO Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

2012 March posse VeloceMA

Originally Posted by garyi View Post
I hate the start stop feature, its the first button i hit when i get in the car and wish there was a way to disable. I doubt very much it saves a lot of fuel.
+1
  #12 (Post Link)  
Old 05-08-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Lexus ISF

Originally Posted by garyi View Post
-1 I love the S&S tested mine on and off it saves me about £5 a week. That's £250 a year
  #13 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-12
Regional Representative
For South Scotland - AOSS

County: West Lothian

Member car:

159 SW Ti, Giulietta MA

Originally Posted by stevepen View Post
-1 I love the S&S tested mine on and off it saves me about £5 a week. That's £250 a year
So that'll be just about enough then to cover the cost of the replacement battery and starter motor when the time comes?
  #14 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-12
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulietta JTDM-2 140

Utter pain in the arse.

If I could change one thing about the G it would be to let you permenantly disable the Stop Start in the dashboard settings rather than have to switch it off every journey.
  #15 (Post Link)  
Old 06-08-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Lexus ISF

Originally Posted by RomeoRaiderZ View Post
So that'll be just about enough then to cover the cost of the replacement battery and starter motor when the time comes?
For the next owner who has it out of warranty
  #16 (Post Link)  
Old 07-08-12
AO Member

Member car:

166 3.0 V6 Sportronic

Would it not be possible to get an Auto Electrician to reverse the operation of the switch so, i.e. so you have to press it down every time in order to switch the SS on?
  #17 (Post Link)  
Old 07-08-12
AO Silver Member

County: Stirling

Member car:

GQV..

Originally Posted by Chris Cousins View Post
Would it not be possible to get an Auto Electrician to reverse the operation of the switch so, i.e. so you have to press it down every time in order to switch the SS on?
I doubt it. Prob programmed into ECU to be on.
  #18 (Post Link)  
Old 07-08-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Me Giuily/Sprint 1.7QV

Well this morning it is coming up as unavailable with permanently illuminated warning light.. However last night I had the ignition on with radio on while I cleaned the car thus draining the battery a bit. I am told that once the battery goes below 85% capacity S&S shuts off.
  #19 (Post Link)  
Old 07-08-12
AO Gold Member

Member car:

S212

Leave it a week, see what happens.

If you put pressure on the steering or it rolls slightly when stopped, it immediately restarts,

We have it on the Merc and the MiTo and it has a life of its own, but eventually you can second guess it.

If that lamp is still on after a week, book it in, as it might just be pedal switch issue.
  #20 (Post Link)  
Old 07-08-12
AO Member

Member car:

Gulietta 1.4 TB 170

Originally Posted by Chris Cousins View Post
Unfortunately it's not that simple, the rocker is merely a toggle operation, the computer decides what to do. It would a little bit of electronics to detect ignition, then trigger the toggle signal.
  #21 (Post Link)  
Old 07-08-12
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Me Giuily/Sprint 1.7QV

Originally Posted by cj romeo View Post
Leave it a week, see what happens.

If you put pressure on the steering or it rolls slightly when stopped, it immediately restarts,

We have it on the Merc and the MiTo and it has a life of its own, but eventually you can second guess it.

If that lamp is still on after a week, book it in, as it might just be pedal switch issue.
Thanks CJ. Good to know it's not confined to just the Alfa then. Light has since gone off but still comes up unavailable. I'll leave it a week or so and see how it goes. It has another run to Crail on Friday so get the battery back up to peak power hopefully.

Otherwise car is just amazing, and with todays much welcome sunshine I finally got to see the Etna Black at its best . . .
  #22 (Post Link)  
Old 08-08-12
AO Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Giulietta JTDM-2 140

Mine says unavailable pretty much all the time. Never had the warning light come on though. The warning light means 'Stop/Start FAULT'
  #23 (Post Link)  
Old 09-08-12
AO Member

Member car:

2012 Giulietta GT Q2

I want it to be off all the time instead of forgetting to shut it off and then engine stops for one second when getting out of parking.
  #24 (Post Link)  
Old 09-08-12
AO Silver Member

County: Lincolnshire

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA, 1.1 Saxo

Originally Posted by gtb5 View Post
I want it to be off all the time instead of forgetting to shut it off and then engine stops for one second when getting out of parking.
When moving back and forward to get out of a parking space S/S should not operate as the car has to be in neutral and the clutch released for it to turn off the engine.

Hence press clutch; change from forward to reverse gear (or vice versa) and release clutch to move in opposite direction. Thenm S/S does not come into play
  #25 (Post Link)  
Old 11-08-12
AO Member

County: Aberdeen

Member car:

156 1.9 JTD Multijet 150

Thumbs Up Stop Start

Consider that the life of starter motor is determined by how many cycles it oerforms If you get 10 start/stops on one jouney instead of just the one, you can basically reduce the life of the motor by the same factor. It is okay for being stationary in traffic jams for longish periods, but like any thinking person, you would switch off manually anyway.
Read an article in German mag as to how these things are contributing to even more traffic jams by depleting the battery to the point where you don't get a restart, then cause another traffic jam! Switch it off and use your head!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
fault, quirk, start, stop

Recently 'Read'
No History to show

Useful Links
Lost Password?
AO Merchandise
FAQs
Register

External Links
2009 (59 Reg) Alfa...
Alfa romeo spider...