Twin exhaust wanted - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 13Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 41 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Durham
Twin exhaust wanted

(Hope this is ok. if not please delete.)
I am planning to do the twin exhaust conversion to my 1.4 and looking at using a 2.0 ltr diesel or QV back box.
Does anyone have a good condition one available?.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
new one on eBay 299

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...IAAOSwh-1W4bXj

But if you are prepared to go non-oem you'll get a new one for about 200.

Your best shot is going to be a breaker & they charge about 100ish + postage. Alfaspareparts.com have been very good to me in the past.
alfacool likes this.
AO Member

County: Estonia
Is the QV one different from the MA on sonically? Was thinkig of getting a new back box, maybe a Wizard but there is a trashed QV I could maybe snag the back box and diffuser off

Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Is the QV one different from the MA on sonically? Was thinkig of getting a new back box, maybe a Wizard but there is a trashed QV I could maybe snag the back box and diffuser off
No difference in sound at all. If you use alfa parts, you're doing it just for the look! If you open up the silencers they are just perforated pipes inside a box, no sound deadening material at all - QV or 2.0JTDm.
pezzodicento and Pine like this.
AO Member

County: NRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
No difference in sound at all. If you use alfa parts, you're doing it just for the look! If you open up the silencers they are just perforated pipes inside a box, no sound deadening material at all - QV or 2.0JTDm.
Nice to know Andy.

Is there any difference between the QV and 2.0JTDm backboxes then, apart from the exhaust tip diameter?

And is there anything wrong with using a used Diesel box on a petrol model?
andypj likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezzodicento View Post
Nice to know Andy.

Is there any difference between the QV and 2.0JTDm backboxes then, apart from the exhaust tip diameter?

And is there anything wrong with using a used Diesel box on a petrol model?
I put a QV box on a 1.6JTDm & a 2.0JTDm box on a 1.4tb! No it doesn't - the diesel box won't be choked up with soot though! The QV box has the left and right hand outlets coming out at the rear of the sides of the box whereas the diesels are staggered. As a rough guide at max revs 5000 x2litres = 10,000 litres per minute, 6500x1.75litres=11375 litres per minute whereas with the 1.4, 6500x1.4=9100litres per minute so neither is designed for less gas flow than what you have already.

As far as I am aware the exhaust tips are the same size on all Giuliettas, certainly on all the ones I've had. It's only on the most recent ones that the tip has changed. You can buy the oversize exhaust tips (at 233) but they are steep for a pair of bolt on finishers. You would probably be better off talking to an exhaust fitter & getting them to fit a pair of there's on.

146 1.6TS, 156 2.0TS, 156 1.8TS, 147 1.6TS, 147 2.0TS, 159 1.9JTS, 147 1.6TS, 159 1.9JTDm, Mito 1.4, GT, Giulietta 2.0JTDm, Giulietta 1.4tb, Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Giulietta Cloverleaf........
(Post Link) post #7 of 41 Old 13-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
I put a QV box on a 1.6JTDm & a 2.0JTDm box on a 1.4tb! No it doesn't - the diesel box won't be choked up with soot though! The QV box has the left and right hand outlets coming out at the rear of the sides of the box whereas the diesels are staggered. As a rough guide at max revs 5000 x2litres = 10,000 litres per minute, 6500x1.75litres=11375 litres per minute whereas with the 1.4, 6500x1.4=9100litres per minute so neither is designed for less gas flow than what you have already.

As far as I am aware the exhaust tips are the same size on all Giuliettas, certainly on all the ones I've had. It's only on the most recent ones that the tip has changed. You can buy the oversize exhaust tips (at 233) but they are steep for a pair of bolt on finishers. You would probably be better off talking to an exhaust fitter & getting them to fit a pair of there's on.
What did you have to do to make them fit?.
Also i noticed today there is no hanger bracket on the the rear off side, so would need one of them to put a duel exhaust on.
20170113_142012.jpg 20170113_142027.jpg
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

I fail to see why I'd want to feature the pollution nozzles of my car beyond their actual output. My 1.4 has one pipe in a nice assymetrical way.
AO Member

County: NRW
Quote:

Thanks for the insight Andy! Definite helps.

I keep my eye on the odd used twin pipe backboxes in the classifieds. When one pops up close enough I will grab it.

Cheers!!

Ben
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacool View Post
What did you have to do to make them fit?.
Also i noticed today there is no hanger bracket on the the rear off side, so would need one of them to put a duel exhaust on.
Attachment 719769 Attachment 719777
Yes you will need a hangar, but note that the bolt for it is already there. The hangar I think is about 8, it's exactly the same as the nearside one. also if you buy an silencer from a breaker they will often leave the hangar on (or you could ask them to) as that way, to remove all you need to do is unbolt the two hangars & then undo the joint.

You are right about the connection - that isn't the same. If you look at the centrepipe on a QV/2.0JTDm they have a long kink that comes back: ____/----------\__ whereas the 1.4/1.6JTDM are ____/---------\ . I took mine to an exhaust fitter and he made an extension (it's about 30cm long & bent) to join them up. They charged me 25.

You will also need a lower valance to the bumper: new about 80 odd, but they do sometimes come up on eBay, otherwise ask a breaker. They are screwed along the bottom to the bodywork & have a series of tangs along the join with the bumper. It should pull off, maybe with the help of trim extraction tools. It can look as if you are trashing your car when you are doing it, but it does come off, honest!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I fail to see why I'd want to feature the pollution nozzles of my car beyond their actual output. My 1.4 has one pipe in a nice assymetrical way.
Because they want it to match the graphics on start up & close down! It's that drip, drip, drip that slips into the subconscious that makes you want twin exhausts. I think you must be mentally strong Cue!
pezzodicento likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 41 Old 14-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Yes you will need a hangar, but note that the bolt for it is already there. The hangar I think is about 8, it's exactly the same as the nearside one. also if you buy an silencer from a breaker they will often leave the hangar on (or you could ask them to) as that way, to remove all you need to do is unbolt the two hangars & then undo the joint.

You are right about the connection - that isn't the same. If you look at the centrepipe on a QV/2.0JTDm they have a long kink that comes back: ____/----------\__ whereas the 1.4/1.6JTDM are ____/---------\ . I took mine to an exhaust fitter and he made an extension (it's about 30cm long & bent) to join them up. They charged me 25.

You will also need a lower valance to the bumper: new about 80 odd, but they do sometimes come up on eBay, otherwise ask a breaker. They are screwed along the bottom to the bodywork & have a series of tangs along the join with the bumper. It should pull off, maybe with the help of trim extraction tools. It can look as if you are trashing your car when you are doing it, but it does come off, honest!
Thanks for the good info, Much appreciated.
Have the twin valence ready, just need the exhaust.
Club Member
Membro Medio

You may have looked at this already, but this thread shows what people have done. The photos of mine are on the last pages & it shows the bit of pipe needed to join the centre pipe to the rear silencer. You'll notice that there are other solutions to the problem!!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l-pipes-8.html (Twin exhaust tail pipes)
alfacool likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Can you not just get a Diesel middle section as well?

It is only a plain pipe so should be too expensive.

I know it lacks the original ones silencer, but you would gain a bit more exhaust noise by having it not there.
(Post Link) post #15 of 41 Old 14-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post

I know it lacks the original ones silencer, but you would gain a bit more exhaust noise by having it not there.
Its also on my list, not sure it lacks the silencer, think it has the central box the same as the QV.

Sorry to many beers. wasnt thinking of changing the middle pipe as well.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post

The 1.4 & 1.6 have a smaller bore exhaust than the 2.0 & 1.75, so it wouldn't fit. Interestingly the exit pipe from the silencer on the 2.0/1.75 is the same bore as the inlet pipe on the 1.4/1.6, but of course there are two of them.

If you look at the pictures on the thread link I posted you can see how the connecting pipe is swaged.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Veloces are doing the whole thing....at a price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO...oAAOSwaB5XkmvX
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
That looks like a painted mild steel exhaust.

If it is anything like the sportex mild steel painted exhaust I fitted to my golf it will last around 18 months until bits start coming out of it.
andypj likes this.
(Post Link) post #19 of 41 Old 20-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Found an exhaust but need a hanger.
Anyone got a cheap one?
51820445-3429-1-800.jpg
andypj likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Found an exhaust but need a hanger.
Anyone got a cheap one?
Attachment 721250
Try a breaker or a dealer. I'm sure that they're not too expensive.
(Post Link) post #21 of 41 Old 21-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Try a breaker or a dealer. I'm sure that they're not too expensive.
Yeah i thought they would be cheap too.
S4P and another Alfa parts supplier want 28.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Yeah i thought they would be cheap too.
S4P and another Alfa parts supplier want 28.
I'm really surprised by that. I'm sure I'd seen them around for just less than 10 new, although that was a while back.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Don't forget if you go to a breaker you can get one off any Giulietta as these hangers aren't handed: a left hand hanger is exactly the same as a right hand one, whether it be single outlet or twin.
(Post Link) post #24 of 41 Old 21-01-17 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Don't forget if you go to a breaker you can get one off any Giulietta as these hangers aren't handed: a left hand hanger is exactly the same as a right hand one, whether it be single outlet or twin.
Yeah i see, as there is only one part number. No Alfa breakers near me or i would be off with me spanners to the scrappy.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Yeah i see, as there is only one part number. No Alfa breakers near me or i would be off with me spanners to the scrappy.
The ones I've used have been quick off the mark with sending items out. Many of them are on here too. Or look for Breaking Giulietta on eBay - if they are a business they have to quote their contact details at the bottom of the page, you have to use the drop down arrow, (address & phone number) but you can contact them direct.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
exhaust , twin , wanted

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page