Twin exhaust wanted - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By andypj
  • 2 Post By andypj
  • 1 Post By pezzodicento
  • 1 Post By andypj
  • 1 Post By andypj
  • 1 Post By symon
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: off down the shed.
AO Gold Member
 
alfacool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: County Durham
County: Durham
Twin exhaust wanted

(Hope this is ok. if not please delete.)
I am planning to do the twin exhaust conversion to my 1.4 and looking at using a 2.0 ltr diesel or QV back box.
Does anyone have a good condition one available?.
Thanks
alfacool is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 18 Old 6 Days Ago
Status: D
Club Member
 
andypj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Images: 30
new one on eBay 299

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...IAAOSwh-1W4bXj

But if you are prepared to go non-oem you'll get a new one for about 200.

Your best shot is going to be a breaker & they charge about 100ish + postage. Alfaspareparts.com have been very good to me in the past.
alfacool likes this.
andypj is online now  
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 6 Days Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
County: Estonia
Is the QV one different from the MA on sonically? Was thinkig of getting a new back box, maybe a Wizard but there is a trashed QV I could maybe snag the back box and diffuser off
Pine is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 18 Old 6 Days Ago
Status: D
Club Member
 
andypj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Images: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Is the QV one different from the MA on sonically? Was thinkig of getting a new back box, maybe a Wizard but there is a trashed QV I could maybe snag the back box and diffuser off
No difference in sound at all. If you use alfa parts, you're doing it just for the look! If you open up the silencers they are just perforated pipes inside a box, no sound deadening material at all - QV or 2.0JTDm.
pezzodicento and Pine like this.
andypj is online now  
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 5 Days Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany
County: NRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
No difference in sound at all. If you use alfa parts, you're doing it just for the look! If you open up the silencers they are just perforated pipes inside a box, no sound deadening material at all - QV or 2.0JTDm.
Nice to know Andy.

Is there any difference between the QV and 2.0JTDm backboxes then, apart from the exhaust tip diameter?

And is there anything wrong with using a used Diesel box on a petrol model?
andypj likes this.
pezzodicento is offline  
(Post Link) post #6 of 18 Old 4 Days Ago
Status: D
Club Member
 
andypj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Images: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezzodicento View Post
Nice to know Andy.

Is there any difference between the QV and 2.0JTDm backboxes then, apart from the exhaust tip diameter?

And is there anything wrong with using a used Diesel box on a petrol model?
I put a QV box on a 1.6JTDm & a 2.0JTDm box on a 1.4tb! No it doesn't - the diesel box won't be choked up with soot though! The QV box has the left and right hand outlets coming out at the rear of the sides of the box whereas the diesels are staggered. As a rough guide at max revs 5000 x2litres = 10,000 litres per minute, 6500x1.75litres=11375 litres per minute whereas with the 1.4, 6500x1.4=9100litres per minute so neither is designed for less gas flow than what you have already.

As far as I am aware the exhaust tips are the same size on all Giuliettas, certainly on all the ones I've had. It's only on the most recent ones that the tip has changed. You can buy the oversize exhaust tips (at 233) but they are steep for a pair of bolt on finishers. You would probably be better off talking to an exhaust fitter & getting them to fit a pair of there's on.

146 1.6TS, 156 2.0TS, 156 1.8TS, 147 1.6TS, 147 2.0TS, 159 1.9JTS, 147 1.6TS, 159 1.9JTDm, Mito 1.4, GT, Giulietta 2.0JTDm, Giulietta 1.4tb, Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Giulietta Cloverleaf........
andypj is online now  
(Post Link) post #7 of 18 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: off down the shed.
AO Gold Member
 
alfacool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: County Durham
County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
I put a QV box on a 1.6JTDm & a 2.0JTDm box on a 1.4tb! No it doesn't - the diesel box won't be choked up with soot though! The QV box has the left and right hand outlets coming out at the rear of the sides of the box whereas the diesels are staggered. As a rough guide at max revs 5000 x2litres = 10,000 litres per minute, 6500x1.75litres=11375 litres per minute whereas with the 1.4, 6500x1.4=9100litres per minute so neither is designed for less gas flow than what you have already.

As far as I am aware the exhaust tips are the same size on all Giuliettas, certainly on all the ones I've had. It's only on the most recent ones that the tip has changed. You can buy the oversize exhaust tips (at 233) but they are steep for a pair of bolt on finishers. You would probably be better off talking to an exhaust fitter & getting them to fit a pair of there's on.
What did you have to do to make them fit?.
Also i noticed today there is no hanger bracket on the the rear off side, so would need one of them to put a duel exhaust on.
20170113_142012.jpg 20170113_142027.jpg
alfacool is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 18 Old 4 Days Ago
Status: Petrol head
AO Platinum Member
 
cue2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Kent
I fail to see why I'd want to feature the pollution nozzles of my car beyond their actual output. My 1.4 has one pipe in a nice assymetrical way.
cue2 is online now  
(Post Link) post #9 of 18 Old 4 Days Ago
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Germany
County: NRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
I put a QV box on a 1.6JTDm & a 2.0JTDm box on a 1.4tb! No it doesn't - the diesel box won't be choked up with soot though! The QV box has the left and right hand outlets coming out at the rear of the sides of the box whereas the diesels are staggered. As a rough guide at max revs 5000 x2litres = 10,000 litres per minute, 6500x1.75litres=11375 litres per minute whereas with the 1.4, 6500x1.4=9100litres per minute so neither is designed for less gas flow than what you have already.

As far as I am aware the exhaust tips are the same size on all Giuliettas, certainly on all the ones I've had. It's only on the most recent ones that the tip has changed. You can buy the oversize exhaust tips (at 233) but they are steep for a pair of bolt on finishers. You would probably be better off talking to an exhaust fitter & getting them to fit a pair of there's on.
Thanks for the insight Andy! Definite helps.

I keep my eye on the odd used twin pipe backboxes in the classifieds. When one pops up close enough I will grab it.

Cheers!!

Ben
pezzodicento is offline  
Status: D
Club Member
 
andypj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Images: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacool View Post
What did you have to do to make them fit?.
Also i noticed today there is no hanger bracket on the the rear off side, so would need one of them to put a duel exhaust on.
Attachment 719769 Attachment 719777
Yes you will need a hangar, but note that the bolt for it is already there. The hangar I think is about 8, it's exactly the same as the nearside one. also if you buy an silencer from a breaker they will often leave the hangar on (or you could ask them to) as that way, to remove all you need to do is unbolt the two hangars & then undo the joint.

You are right about the connection - that isn't the same. If you look at the centrepipe on a QV/2.0JTDm they have a long kink that comes back: ____/----------\__ whereas the 1.4/1.6JTDM are ____/---------\ . I took mine to an exhaust fitter and he made an extension (it's about 30cm long & bent) to join them up. They charged me 25.

You will also need a lower valance to the bumper: new about 80 odd, but they do sometimes come up on eBay, otherwise ask a breaker. They are screwed along the bottom to the bodywork & have a series of tangs along the join with the bumper. It should pull off, maybe with the help of trim extraction tools. It can look as if you are trashing your car when you are doing it, but it does come off, honest!
andypj is online now  
Status: D
Club Member
 
andypj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Images: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I fail to see why I'd want to feature the pollution nozzles of my car beyond their actual output. My 1.4 has one pipe in a nice assymetrical way.
Because they want it to match the graphics on start up & close down! It's that drip, drip, drip that slips into the subconscious that makes you want twin exhausts. I think you must be mentally strong Cue!
pezzodicento likes this.
andypj is online now  
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: off down the shed.
AO Gold Member
 
alfacool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: County Durham
County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
Yes you will need a hangar, but note that the bolt for it is already there. The hangar I think is about 8, it's exactly the same as the nearside one. also if you buy an silencer from a breaker they will often leave the hangar on (or you could ask them to) as that way, to remove all you need to do is unbolt the two hangars & then undo the joint.

You are right about the connection - that isn't the same. If you look at the centrepipe on a QV/2.0JTDm they have a long kink that comes back: ____/----------\__ whereas the 1.4/1.6JTDM are ____/---------\ . I took mine to an exhaust fitter and he made an extension (it's about 30cm long & bent) to join them up. They charged me 25.

You will also need a lower valance to the bumper: new about 80 odd, but they do sometimes come up on eBay, otherwise ask a breaker. They are screwed along the bottom to the bodywork & have a series of tangs along the join with the bumper. It should pull off, maybe with the help of trim extraction tools. It can look as if you are trashing your car when you are doing it, but it does come off, honest!
Thanks for the good info, Much appreciated.
Have the twin valence ready, just need the exhaust.
alfacool is offline  
Status: D
Club Member
 
andypj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Images: 30
You may have looked at this already, but this thread shows what people have done. The photos of mine are on the last pages & it shows the bit of pipe needed to join the centre pipe to the rear silencer. You'll notice that there are other solutions to the problem!!

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l-pipes-8.html (Twin exhaust tail pipes)
alfacool likes this.
andypj is online now  
Status: On Alfa number 15
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Images: 13
Can you not just get a Diesel middle section as well?

It is only a plain pipe so should be too expensive.

I know it lacks the original ones silencer, but you would gain a bit more exhaust noise by having it not there.
symon is offline  
(Post Link) post #15 of 18 Old 3 Days Ago Thread Starter
Status: off down the shed.
AO Gold Member
 
alfacool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: County Durham
County: Durham
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Can you not just get a Diesel middle section as well?

It is only a plain pipe so should be too expensive.

I know it lacks the original ones silencer, but you would gain a bit more exhaust noise by having it not there.
Its also on my list, not sure it lacks the silencer, think it has the central box the same as the QV.

Sorry to many beers. wasnt thinking of changing the middle pipe as well.
alfacool is offline  
Status: D
Club Member
 
andypj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Images: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon View Post
Can you not just get a Diesel middle section as well?

It is only a plain pipe so should be too expensive.

I know it lacks the original ones silencer, but you would gain a bit more exhaust noise by having it not there.
The 1.4 & 1.6 have a smaller bore exhaust than the 2.0 & 1.75, so it wouldn't fit. Interestingly the exit pipe from the silencer on the 2.0/1.75 is the same bore as the inlet pipe on the 1.4/1.6, but of course there are two of them.

If you look at the pictures on the thread link I posted you can see how the connecting pipe is swaged.
andypj is online now  
Status: D
Club Member
 
andypj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United Kingdom
County: West Midlands
Images: 30
Veloces are doing the whole thing....at a price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALFA-ROMEO...oAAOSwaB5XkmvX
andypj is online now  
Status: On Alfa number 15
AO Platinum Member
 
symon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: United Kingdom
County: Oxfordshire
Images: 13
That looks like a painted mild steel exhaust.

If it is anything like the sportex mild steel painted exhaust I fitted to my golf it will last around 18 months until bits start coming out of it.
andypj likes this.
symon is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
exhaust , twin , wanted

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome