Issues with new to me Guilietta bought from dealer last week - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 9Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 28 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter

County: -
Issues with new to me Guilietta bought from dealer last week

I bought a 3 year old Guilietta from our local Alfa main dealer just before Christmas and picked it up last Friday.
Saturday we took it for its first long drive and on the motorway found that it has a vibration through the steering wheel only under acceleration.

I spoke to the dealer on the Saturday and they said they would call me back on Monday when the workshop was open.
I chased this up Monday late afternoon and they arranged to collect the car from me today and dropped it back an hour later saying it drives much better.

When I drive it home it wasn't any different.

My other half has been in touch with the dealer again and asked for them to pick it up and not deliver it back until it is sorted.

That is fine by me as long as that's the end of it.

However, I'm now worrying if something so sasily spotted got passed their 100 point mechanical check, what else have they missed?

The dealer called me today to arrange to collect the car again and I explained that as the vibration is only on acceleration it's unlikely to be just tracking (which was all they did yesterday). He told me today they would try the balancing. I explained that really that should have been done yesterday and i would like them to look at the cv boot and suspension in general as it doesn't feel right at all.

I have also realised that the car was sold as having factory rear parking sensors which I asked for specifically as I wanted the reversing display on the screen in front of me.
Each time I have reversed no display has come up like he said it would.
I forgot to mention this earlier when the car went in but will mention it tomorrow and I hope they can fix it so it does.

Has anyone had any issues like this before? I feel like I've paid a premium to buy from a main dealer and it's already got issues. The dealer is very apologetic but it's not really keeping me happy at the moment.
The care is advertised as coming with a full Alfa health check and surly this would have picked up these issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

Hello. You've got two issues there really , one of which is model specific and the other a vibration that should not be there if the car had been tested.
What model of Giulietta is it? At three years old it should have parking sensors unless a base model or they aren't working.
Is a wheel buckled perhaps for the vibration to occur?
(Post Link) post #3 of 28 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter

It's a 63 plate Collezione so should have sensors as standard.
The sensors do beep but it doesn't have the proximity visual on the dash screen like they said it would have.
I hoping this is just a software issue and they can sort it.

It could be a buckled wheel but would have expected them to check that yesterday.
The car also pulls so constantly fighting to keep the car straight.
Just seems like it hasn't been checked at all prior to sale

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

I believe the Collezione was based on the Turismo as opposed to the Lusso. It has a different multifunction display which may not show the parking sensors except if fitted as a factory option.Unless the Collezione lacked sensors and yours has an aftermarket fitment.
andypj likes this.

Last edited by cue2; 11-01-17 at 18:36.
(Post Link) post #5 of 28 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter

I was told they were a factory option and would be on the display.

I emailed the dealer and have just had a reply and said that the car is not new enough to have them shown on the screen.

It's frustrating to hear that when we picked the car having specifically asked if it would be shown on the screen
(Post Link) post #6 of 28 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter

I'm hoping they can update the software so that they are shown on screen as it was an important feature for me
QvG
AO Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Giulietta qv

I have a similar issue with vibration when excellerating I've changed both inner drive shaft joints slightly better but still not right wheels balanced new tyres, so would be interested to know what they find may help my problem, hope you get it sorted mate my Alfa giulietta is a qv 1750tbi
AO Member

Member car:

Guilietta

Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolobuffala View Post
I'm hoping they can update the software so that they are shown on screen as it was an important feature for me
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but from what I understand unless it left the factory with the parking sensors fitted with the dashboard display there is no way it can be updated even by a dealer. There was a lot of discussions about this, I have a 2010 Veloce and it can't be added after production.
andypj likes this.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
Mine did have a sight vibration under acceleration. I would say it went away when I had new front tyres fitted.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I believe the Collezione was based on the Turismo as opposed to the Lusso. It has a different multifunction display which may not show the parking sensors except if fitted as a factory option.Unless the Collezione lacked sensors and yours has an aftermarket fitment.
I'd agree with this, it's a simpler display on the Collezione (the first release without leather) rather than the graphic one on the Lusso/Veloce.
(Post Link) post #11 of 28 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies

It's really frustrating that they told me it would have it when it doesn't.
I guess there's nothing I can do about that then
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

My Speciale has sensors front and rear , with the screen, and l'll be looking for the volume control as parking is a lot more frantic than my 2011 Lusso without any sensors!
andypj likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Club Member Number: 1019
County: West Midlands
I suppose it's easy for me to say this having sensors, but the graphic display doesn't tell you anything more than what the sound does, apart from whether the obstacle is behind the car or to the sides. It isn't like a reversing camera. My first Giulietta didn't have reversing sensors & I fitted them because I couldn't find the right one with sensors. Since then I've had other Giuliettas all of which have had sensors. I'll be honest I spend more time looking around at where my car is heading rather than watching the display. It's a parking aid and I find it a bit odd to have the display facing in completely the opposite direction to the way you are travelling! But hey that's just my opinion. I have also reversed into a parking bollard that was directly between the rear sensors and lower than the rear window. I knew it was there but thought the sensors would give me an idea how far away I was - they 'lost' the post - I gained a scratched bumper!

I think what is more concerning is that the garage seems to have been happy to alleviate your concerns without really knowing what was the case.
braddersR and cue2 like this.

146 1.6TS, 156 2.0TS, 156 1.8TS, 147 1.6TS, 147 2.0TS, 159 1.9JTS, 147 1.6TS, 159 1.9JTDm, Mito 1.4, GT, Giulietta 2.0JTDm, Giulietta 1.4tb, Giulietta 1.6JTDm, Giulietta Cloverleaf........
AO Member

County: NRW

Member car:

White 2016 G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but from what I understand unless it left the factory with the parking sensors fitted with the dashboard display there is no way it can be updated even by a dealer. There was a lot of discussions about this, I have a 2010 Veloce and it can't be added after production.
I'm not sure I agree with this statement, there was an original official accessory kit for the parking sensors, which had three main parts and included a wiring harness. My understanding it did integrate with the screen. https://eper.parts.fiat.com/mp_resou...4BDB33D27A.png

You can find the parts at breakers/wreckers on eBay.
But at 280Euro, most dealers didn't fit the "factory" system, rather they installed a cheaper aftermarket system ~40Euro which is not integrated with the factory display.
IMHO you don't have the factory system installed unless:
a) It is listed on the vehicle build sheet.
b) There is an invoice included for the factory system.

I also agree with previous comments the value of the screen is not great. A backup camera is a much better system if you are really concerned about rearward vision. Perhaps something to think about if you are adding a navisystem.

Regarding your second issue, sounds like wheel or brake disc balancing is out. If they can't rectify with balancing then ask for new front rotors/brake discs.
At 3 years old they will need replacing soonish anyway.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMin View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this statement, there was an original official accessory kit for the parking sensors, which had three main parts and included a wiring harness. My understanding it did integrate with the screen. https://eper.parts.fiat.com/mp_resou...4BDB33D27A.png

But at 280Euro, most dealers didn't fit the "factory" system, rather they installed a cheaper aftermarket system ~40Euro which is not integrated with the factory display....
I had a look at the Alfa accessory parking sensors when I had my first Giulietta and they were just the same as any other audio based system. Yes they had a wiring harness with them, but it still had to be spliced into the cars wiring. This system did not utilise the information screen in the dash.

If you ordered a 2013 collezione with parking sensors they put a different instrument binnacle in which was capable of displaying the rear parking sensor graphics, so if the information screen between the speedo and rev counter has a dot matrix display like the radio, it cannot show the graphics. The other way to tell is the location of the sensors in the bumper: two above the top corners of the rear number plate and one each lower down about 5cm outboard of the reflectors, and they are sunk into angled housings.

The thing is that Giuliettas run a canbus system and lots of things run through it. Each car is programmed individually at the factory and there are very, very few if any that have managed to modify it. So fog lights, cruise control, climate control and rear parking sensors are nigh on impossible to retro-fit, even by dealers. Gone are the days when you could just plug accessories in and they would work (bar electro-chromatic rear view mirror, heated washer jets (if the wiring is there) and illuminated tread strips)
AO Member

County: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccolobuffala View Post
It's a 63 plate Collezione so should have sensors as standard.
The sensors do beep but it doesn't have the proximity visual on the dash screen like they said it would have.
I hoping this is just a software issue and they can sort it.

It could be a buckled wheel but would have expected them to check that yesterday.
The car also pulls so constantly fighting to keep the car straight.
Just seems like it hasn't been checked at all prior to sale
I have a 63 plate Collezione also, bought at 6 months old as an ex demo it has parking sensors at the rear and a proximity display on the dash I always thought it was standard equipment
AO Member

Member car:

Guilietta

Quote:

But at 280Euro, most dealers didn't fit the "factory" system, rather they installed a cheaper aftermarket system ~40Euro which is not integrated with the factory display.
IMHO you don't have the factory system installed unless:
a) It is listed on the vehicle build sheet.
b) There is an invoice included for the factory system.

I also agree with previous comments the value of the screen is not great. A backup camera is a much better system if you are really concerned about rearward vision. Perhaps something to think about if you are adding a navisystem.

Regarding your second issue, sounds like wheel or brake disc balancing is out. If they can't rectify with balancing then ask for new front rotors/brake discs.
At 3 years old they will need replacing soonish anyway.
Hi, I'm not offended that you disagree and am really pleased to hear that you think this is possible, can you send me the part numbers required to fit the system to my car? I intend on keeping my car and would love to retrofit the kit to my car if it works with the MFD. I look forward to your help.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeofft View Post
I have a 63 plate Collezione also, bought at 6 months old as an ex demo it has parking sensors at the rear and a proximity display on the dash I always thought it was standard equipment
No, it was one of the very few optional (cost) extras on a collezione.
Club Member
Membro Medio

AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
No, it was one of the very few optional (cost) extras on a collezione.
The other being a central armrest?
andypj likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
The other being a central armrest?
Probably, although I'm not even confident of that Cue! I know that you could choose between the all black and red/black interior. I considered one before I bought my 1.4tb Lusso, but for similar money the lusso was a much nicer spec, bar the smaller wheels.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

And the darkened headlights didn't tempt you Andy?
I remember getting one as a loan car when my Lusso was being serviced and the air con controls were clearly designed so you'd want the climate. And I remember the cheaper mfd...
AO Member

County: NRW

Member car:

White 2016 G

Quote:
Originally Posted by andypj View Post
Spot the difference!
Interesting, that is not the Valeo kit.

For my former 2011 car (now sold), with dot matrix MFD, I received the accessory book (in German) and it listed a factory Valeo kit which integrated into the screen function. As per the part number sorry the car is sold, perhaps eBay for the parts.
I explored this path 18months ago and decided loads of hassle and cost for very little benefit.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Interesting, that is not the Valeo kit.

For my former 2011 car (now sold), with dot matrix MFD, I received the accessory book (in German) and it listed a factory Valeo kit which integrated into the screen function. As per the part number sorry the car is sold, perhaps eBay for the parts.
I explored this path 18months ago and decided loads of hassle and cost for very little benefit.
Here's a dealer selling the Genuine Alfa Romeo kit on eBay. Note it's the Meta kit & won't connect to the display.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Al...IAAOSwMmBVsMMN

Last edited by andypj; 13-01-17 at 19:30.
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
And the darkened headlights didn't tempt you Andy?
I remember getting one as a loan car when my Lusso was being serviced and the air con controls were clearly designed so you'd want the climate. And I remember the cheaper mfd...
That was the issue! It had lots of nice visual items: the darkened headlights, fog lights, titanium 17" wheels, titanium dash, trim & mirrors, special bespoke trim & the two-tone roof. But it was based on the turismo & that really didn't have enough kit for me. So it missed out on the parking sensors, cruise control, climate control, electro-chromatic rear view mirror, auto-lights, auto-wipers of the Lusso. Daft thing is, put 17" wheels on a Lusso and you've got a far better deal. This is what didn't quite stack up about the trim levels originally; tech wise the Lusso was a much better buy, yet the big seller was the veloce which didn't have the tech but looked sporty (17" wheels, darkened headlamps, side skirts, half leather trim, dark headlining, cruise).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulietta

Tags
bought , dealer , guilietta , issues , week

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page