So what would you be saying here if this was a Giulia? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 12Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: West Sussex
So what would you be saying here if this was a Giulia?

Met the guy from up the road at the village shops this morning, I was in the Giulia which he had already seen and admired, he was in a 17 plate Audi RS6 Avant. He had a little moan about it, of rather Audi. When he went to collect it in the showroom, they could not get it to start. On his return visit it started and he drove it away happy (ish). A few days later about to go out for the evening, car would not start, back to Audi, getting a little Peed off now. Car sorted and dinner at a posh restaurant plus other gifts to appease him.

The car has lots of electronic gadgets as you might expect. As he needs some help to learn all the technology a visit to the dealer followed. No one at the dealership could help him with all the tech. Dealership gets Hans over from Germany to train them and instruct (miffed) owner. All goes fine, until, half way through the demo, yep youve guessed it, the engine cuts out and refuses to start. By now my friend is totally Pee'd and rejects the car, but agrees begrudgingly to accept it with more gift and £5,000 worth of upgrades.

17 plate and all that? Will the engine die again? Whos to say.

Anyone had such a bad experience with their dodgy old unreliable Alfa Romeo Giulia?

Someone said to me, "so whats so special about an Alfa Romeo then?" I told him, "If you have to ask, you wont understand".

Giulia Super 2.0MA, wife drives 939 Spider 2.2, plus now a 147 1.6 TS whilst the Spider hibernates and there is a 1972 Spider 2000 S2 in the garage for fun days.

Previously, Brera 2.2 Prodrive - 159 SW 1.9JTDm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

I'd be saying " why isn't an Italian from Alfa Romeo driving around with a laptop doing all the Giulia software updates for owners so they don't have to visit the dealers?". Then giving them a bottle of wine as a gift as he leaves...,
Hamfisti likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Member

Starbug3........

(Post Link) post #4 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post
Met the guy from up the road at the village shops this morning, I was in the Giulia which he had already seen and admired, he was in a 17 plate Audi RS6 Avant. He had a little moan about it, of rather Audi. When he went to collect it in the showroom, they could not get it to start. On his return visit it started and he drove it away happy (ish). A few days later about to go out for the evening, car would not start, back to Audi, getting a little Peed off now. Car sorted and dinner at a posh restaurant plus other gifts to appease him.

The car has lots of electronic gadgets as you might expect. As he needs some help to learn all the technology a visit to the dealer followed. No one at the dealership could help him with all the tech. Dealership gets Hans over from Germany to train them and instruct (miffed) owner. All goes fine, until, half way through the demo, yep youve guessed it, the engine cuts out and refuses to start. By now my friend is totally Pee'd and rejects the car, but agrees begrudgingly to accept it with more gift and £5,000 worth of upgrades.

Anyone had such a bad experience with their dodgy old unreliable Alfa Romeo Giulia?
I take the view that, as machines, they all have the potential to go wrong. It is how it is dealt with that matters. Recently we bought an 8 spd auto BMW for my wife (privately). As it was nearing the end of it's 3 yr warranty (4 days left), and I had thought it sounded a little loud in reverse whilst standing beside it as it was parked one day, I asked the local BMW dealer to give it an end of warranty check. When I mentioned the (possible) noise in reverse the service guy said immediately ' it will likely need a new gearbox'.. Apparently they have done 'quite a few 1,3 & 4 series'. This car had done 14000 miles! It went in 2 days later for a check and was informed that evening that it needed a new gearbox. It arrived the next day and but was not completed until the following day.
How do I feel about this? Well the failure did nothing to dispel my impression that BMW's are a bit overrated in the reliability department (based not only on my experience but also my brother in law's). The dealer (whilst arranging the service was not without it's problems with calls not returned as promised) did not hesitate to replace the gearbox. There appeared to be no question that it should be replaced -there was no debate about it. I still don't know if the problem would have had an impact on the driveability of the car (the dealer said it would not). In any case the matter was resolved without any question and very efficiently albeit with a dearth of information about what was wrong.
We seem to have a strange attitude to cars in this country. On the one hand we appear to have the expectation that the car (as a machine) should not fail at any time yet we have pretty low expectations regarding the service that our dealers provide with the supply and service of probably the 2nd most expensive purchase we make. This I believe contributes to the poor experiences that many people have buying new cars (from whatever marque).
PR, metalgod23 and Hamfisti like this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Myles View Post
Starbug3........
Yes but he hasn't had visitors from Milan and free meals as far as we know?..
Hugh Myles and Brooking10 like this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Member

County: Derbyshire
Can you see Alfa/dealer putting as much effort and expense into sorting out a problem.
Slightly historic now but they certainly didn't when my then three week old Brera decided to keep cutting out.
duemila likes this.
(Post Link) post #7 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Australia
Wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Down View Post

tell your mate i have an Alfa Romeo Giulia with a Veloce pack, ask him if he needs a lift anywhere

Top Down likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Member

Member car:

159Ti V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I'd be saying " why isn't an Italian from Alfa Romeo driving around with a laptop doing all the Giulia software updates for owners so they don't have to visit the dealers?". Then giving them a bottle of wine as a gift as he leaves...,
I'd be saying "why isn't a car released in 2016/17 designed to get OTA(over the air) software updates"
(Post Link) post #9 of 40 Old 6 Days Ago
AO Silver Member

yeah sure right, and open the door to hacking, i would rather it be locked out of the internet, i have a phone for any of that
if i wanted a mobile cyber station i would have bought a laptop

actually i do have a Lamborghini ASUS laptop,
Top Down and MarkiT like this.
AO Silver Member

BMW...the button and gadget KINGS of BAVARIA
AO Member

County: Northants
Garage
To answer the OP's question I'd be saying the following:

1 - Well done Alfa for ensuring the customer was comfortable to keep the car and swiftly offering a level of goodwill and support which got him to such a place when he could have rejected the vehicle.

2 - Did Alfa subsequently find a reason for the cut outs and install an appropriate update ?

Based on the above I'd ask does anybody "begrudgingly" accept a car which lists at £90k ? Surely he was either happy with the remedies proposed or he would have just walked away ?

To the earlier point, in cases like this the issue is rarely one of cause and more about the approach to resolution.
Nex
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

I think its fair to say most of us have a horror story from the vast majority of manufacturers. I've had friends with issues including faulty injectors on BMW's, blown engines and dodgy suspension struts on Audis, creaking seats on Hondas and engine cut outs in Alfas. Not to mention the higher profile stuff in the press affecting companies like Toyota and Vauxhall.

All of these have been dealt with to different levels of professionalism. No one is ever happy when something goes wrong with their car, but how it is dealt with can seriously alter the perception of a dealer/brand the next time you come to look at buying a new car.

Giulia QV - Vulcano Black with black teledial wheels
AO Member

Member car:

159Ti V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Gallo View Post
yeah sure right, and open the door to hacking, i would rather it be locked out of the internet, i have a phone for any of that
if i wanted a mobile cyber station i would have bought a laptop

actually i do have a Lamborghini ASUS laptop,
It is coming
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioire View Post
It is coming

Yep and it is increasingly prevalent with all kinds of other manufacturers. Not yet read of any cars being hacked via firmware updates to infotainment systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooking10 View Post
Yep and it is increasingly prevalent with all kinds of other manufacturers. Not yet read of any cars being hacked via firmware updates to infotainment systems.

my, my, you must live a sheltered life or bank on the hope that nobody will challenge some of your left field assertions

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/hacker...-jeep-highway/

Hackers can remotely hijack your car using the RADIO | Tech | Life & Style | Express.co.uk

https://www.wired.com/2016/08/jeep-h...eration-hacks/

Car hack uses digital-radio broadcasts to seize control - BBC News

that took all of 5 minutes to research, about 4 minutes slower than it would take a hacker to take your car to the cleaners if he wanted to

luckily FCA have done this for a reason
AO Silver Member

Quote:
It is coming
not until FCA determine it to be safe to do so

like i said, if i wanted a mobile cyberstation i would just get a laptop
Nex
Club Member
Membro Premio

County: Cheshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Anything connected to the internet presents a risk. If you think how often phones and PC's are updated to plug security holes then you get an idea of the scale of the risk. Knowing how long it takes most car manufacturers to get updates to customers for anything (and their lack of interest in informing customers of these updates when they do eventually become available), I think its a terrible idea to have your car connected unless a) they update automatically and b) manufacturers take the security of the systems seriously and continue to develop and update them when risks become apparent.
AO Silver Member

dont know about anybody else but i sighed a huge sigh of relief when i found out the Giulia isnt connected to anything ...

...other than the driver
AO Member

Garage
So what would you be saying here if this was a Giulia?

Quote:

Hang on a minute, you have completely ignored the very specific context.

I said I was not aware of any cars being hacked via the distribution of online updates to infotainment systems.

Plenty of manufacturers do this, as the poster above says it is in a controlled fashion and allows manufacturers to enhance systems for customers in a timely and regular fashion. As far as I'm concerned It'll be good when this is available for the Giulia too.

I can't see how any of that is a left field assertion !

AO Silver Member

Quote:
Hang on a minute, you have completely ignored the very specific context.

I said I was not aware of any cars being hacked via the distribution of online updates to infotainment systems.

Plenty of manufacturers do this, as the poster above says it is in a controlled fashion and allows manufacturers to enhance systems for customers in a timely and regular fashion. As far as I'm concerned It'll be good when this is available for the Giulia too.

I can't see how any of that is a left field assertion !

sounds like somebody hacked your log in and put you in Denial Mode

not a very Dynamic response
AO Silver Member

you need to be logged on to the internet to receive online updates, being logged on to internet makes you vulnerable to hacking and hijacking

specific context or not,

Quote:
I'd be saying "why isn't a car released in 2016/17 designed to get OTA(over the air) software updates"
i have done my bit to try and answer this question, perhaps it was intentional on the part of FCA
AO Member

Member car:

159Ti V6

Quote:
i have done my bit to try and answer this question, perhaps it was intentional on the part of FCA
Or it wasn't a priority. They hired Ferrari engineers and no one from Apple/Tesla...Eddy Cue was on Ferrari's board years ago though...Clearly his inputs didn't filter through
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
sounds like somebody hacked your log in and put you in Denial Mode

not a very Dynamic response

Don't be daft.

I haven't denied anything

All I am saying is infotainment upgrades provided OTA to cars with appropriate security protocols have not been proven to introduce any malware or create hacking vulnerabilities. The examples you posted were far more broadbrush and quite obviously not grounded in the same issue.

It's a matter of record that Alfa will be introducing this feature in the near future. It wasn't ready at launch which means currently people have to go back to their dealer for updates. That's not the end of the world but it's a minor inconvenience particularly when the dealer network is so sparse.

AO Gold Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage
Quote:
To answer the OP's question I'd be saying the following:

1 - Well done Alfa for ensuring the customer was comfortable to keep the car and swiftly offering a level of goodwill and support which got him to such a place when he could have rejected the vehicle.

2 - Did Alfa subsequently find a reason for the cut outs and install an appropriate update ?

Based on the above I'd ask does anybody "begrudgingly" accept a car which lists at £90k ? Surely he was either happy with the remedies proposed or he would have just walked away ?

To the earlier point, in cases like this the issue is rarely one of cause and more about the approach to resolution.
I'm a little confused here, most of my day is spent in this state.

But the above points in your reply we're made by the OP in relation to an AUDI not an ALFA?

Or am I missing something?
AO Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
I'm a little confused here, most of my day is spent in this state.

But wasn't the above points in your reply in relation to an AUDI not an ALFA?

Or am I missing something?

You are indeed

The thread title asks us to consider what we would say if that same situation had arisen with Alfa

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
giulia

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page