Giulia discounting - drive the deal.com - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 25Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 89 Old 10-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Leicestershire
Giulia discounting - drive the deal.com

Having bought my GQV through them I've just specced up the 2.0 Giulia I'd have on drivethedeal.com and the discount has grown considerably since last time I looked a few weeks ago (4K plus). Anyone seriously looking to buy I'd check out what it quotes you, even if just to take to the dealership to haggle ;-)

It'll do you a QV for 54k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
There are already 23 Giulias on autotrader with a few demo QV's going for over 61k
SGG
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Just specced up my ideal Giulia QV and its 4560 cheaper than list. Is this site genuine, seems to good to be true?

AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc147 View Post
There are already 23 Giulias on autotrader with a few demo QV's going for over 61k
All the Giulias on auto trader are dealer demos apart from the Veloces one. Some dealers got another car or two in before the launch and decided to not register the blue/tan one to try and avoid everyone selling the same car.
AO Member

County: Gloucestershire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGG View Post
Just specced up my ideal Giulia QV and its 4560 cheaper than list. Is this site genuine, seems to good to be true?
Drive the deal has been around a long time. It's one of the sites that effectively puts you in contact with a dealer who is happy to cut margin to get sales. Carwow is similar but you know which dealer is backing the price you're quoted before you say yes.
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
The dealers are not allowed to sell their demo QVs for six months (after they received them in November). They are listing them on Autotrader to drum up interest.
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

Quote:
Auto trader is a way of creating an awareness as much as anything at this stage if the dealers can't sell the cars for a while. Also reinforces impression of prices. A friend who sold a BMW below a year old on Autotrader priced it competitively and it was bought by a BMW dealer as it was letting down the image. BMW encourages this practice as people see their cars "going for" good money .
AO Member

County: Hertfordshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia QV

Quote:
Very much genuine, but there are some downsides. I bought my last Audi through OrangeWheels that is another very similar broker and had a great experience but you need to be aware that it's not exactly the same as buying through a dealer normally. I bought through Coventry Audi (large franchised Audi dealer) and was given no choice of dealer. The interaction with the dealer consisted of a phone call to arrange finance (all the normal "Audi Solutions" options were available), a few emails to arrange a pick up date and a 15 minute handover process - they couldn't get rid of me fast enough. I dealt with the fleet/commercial department and I'm fairly sure that's how they can offer the prices they do. Therefore the car doesn't count as a "retail" sale and wouldn't qualify for the 3 years free servicing Alfa are currently offering, just as an example of a difference.

There's been a lot of talk on this forum on the importance of dealers and when you go through a broker you effectively don't have a dealer, just somewhere to pick the car up. There is no relationship, no cups of coffee, no shiny suited sales man to make you feel all special, no car cover with big reveal on handover. All this is full BS to me, but in the case of a Giulia QV which is a brand new model with what we know are flaky dealers I feel a tad more comfortable having someone who has some skin in the game alongside me. If I was buying another Audi or BMW I'd use a broker, and maybe in a few years I'd do the same with an Alfa.

As an aside, I took my OrangeWheels quote (about 4k cheaper) to my local Audi dealer for "leverage" and they told me to do one. They weren't interested in competing - they could sell their quota of S3s at full price. I doubt Alfa dealers will start offering discounts on QVs yet, regardless if you can get them cheaper through brokers.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

All this discussion about how cheaply you can get the car makes it into a mere commodity.
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
All this discussion about how cheaply you can get the car makes it into a mere commodity.
It's a depreciating asset and a tool for getting from a to b at the end of the day
The fact some people (us) become emotionally attached / enjoy driving in general doesn't change this lol
The cheaper you can get it the better
lussoman and MalcQV like this.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater Manchester
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0288 View Post
It's a depreciating asset and a tool for getting from a to b at the end of the day
The fact some people (us) become emotionally attached / enjoy driving in general doesn't change this lol
The cheaper you can get it the better
Couldn't agree more. Why pay more than you have to? Odd that owning two Alfas and a Ferrari I rarely visit either marque dealer. Actually I never visit unless it's an open day or the likes of. It's a win win.

As for the 3 year servicing plan someone mentioned, I note on their first page...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivethedeal
Please note there is a FREE 3 Years' Servicing Plan available. Please request this on ordering. Terms and conditions apply.
Of course this will add to the discounted cost but will it be 4k?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

"owning two Alfas and a Ferrari I rarely visit either marque dealer. Actually I never visit unless it's an open day or the likes of. It's a win win."

What was the last new car you bought/won?
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
"owning two Alfas and a Ferrari I rarely visit either marque dealer. Actually I never visit unless it's an open day or the likes of. It's a win win."

What was the last new car you bought/won?
A 1994 Honda Civic Coupe, however with my then missus she (we) bought a 1995 Civic and a 1998 MX5. I've never won a car. Why?
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

I was trying to understand your point about only visiting main dealers on certain occasions. Whether this was to buy a new car as the discussion is about using the carbuying websites instead of going into the showroom?
MalcQV likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazc View Post
Carwow is similar but you know which dealer is backing the price you're quoted before you say yes.
Because Carwow tells you what dealer, I do wonder if you could then use that as leverage to go through the normal sales channels? I got a quote on a Jag XE-S and a Glasgow dealer was the second best offer with 6k off my spec (43k vs 49k). I wondered if turning up with a copy of that and speaking to a salesman, if they'd honour it through normal channels?
AO Gold Member

Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

On a new car I guess you might have to visit for servicing, parts (though only accessories on a new car I would imagine) and such but otherwise why bother?

The experience when I did buy new (and some nearly new not mentioned) was nothing special and that was Mazda and VW as well. My daughter bought a BMW from a dealer this time last year, again nothing special. If you are to pay a premium of 4k for that dealer coffee and cuddle then it's a bit much.
SGG
AO Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post
Very much genuine, but there are some downsides. I bought my last Audi through OrangeWheels that is another very similar broker and had a great experience but you need to be aware that it's not exactly the same as buying through a dealer normally. I bought through Coventry Audi (large franchised Audi dealer) and was given no choice of dealer. The interaction with the dealer consisted of a phone call to arrange finance (all the normal "Audi Solutions" options were available), a few emails to arrange a pick up date and a 15 minute handover process - they couldn't get rid of me fast enough. I dealt with the fleet/commercial department and I'm fairly sure that's how they can offer the prices they do. Therefore the car doesn't count as a "retail" sale and wouldn't qualify for the 3 years free servicing Alfa are currently offering, just as an example of a difference.

There's been a lot of talk on this forum on the importance of dealers and when you go through a broker you effectively don't have a dealer, just somewhere to pick the car up. There is no relationship, no cups of coffee, no shiny suited sales man to make you feel all special, no car cover with big reveal on handover. All this is full BS to me, but in the case of a Giulia QV which is a brand new model with what we know are flaky dealers I feel a tad more comfortable having someone who has some skin in the game alongside me. If I was buying another Audi or BMW I'd use a broker, and maybe in a few years I'd do the same with an Alfa.

As an aside, I took my OrangeWheels quote (about 4k cheaper) to my local Audi dealer for "leverage" and they told me to do one. They weren't interested in competing - they could sell their quota of S3s at full price. I doubt Alfa dealers will start offering discounts on QVs yet, regardless if you can get them cheaper through brokers.
Thanks Nick, very helpful.
I found it surprising hefty discounts were available when the Giulia hasn't been on sale that long. It now makes sense if these guys are negotiating fleet discounts and then passing them on to the public by a lead generation website. Quite a clever simple business model.
Amazingly the 3 years free servicing is also available as part of the deal.
I take your point about taking the dealer out of the buying process could make it a bit more tricky later on if problems arise, they don't see you as a retail customer.
I had written off the idea of buying a QV until later this year especially after the price increases but suddenly its a possibility right now...
AO Member

County: Hampshire
The only slight issue with these 'brokers' is when you you want to px. The dealers have used everything they have on the discount that at best you get book price or less for any px. They literally have nothing left to flatter you with which is why last week when I decided to change my three month old facelift Mito Veloce (1000 miles) for a new Giulietta Veloce that one dealer offered 10500, exactly 50% off the list price..... Suffice to say the Mito is staying.
(Post Link) post #19 of 89 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 146Nick View Post

I have to say in my view pretty much all the above is wrong in my experience. The dealers ARE the ones offering the discounts, the brokers don't offer or order (or buy) the cars.

My GQV was a factory order to my exact spec, and was offered with ALL the usual private sale incentives, it is absolutely nothing to do with "fleet". The dealership that drivethedeal put me in touch with (Beechdale Alfa, 25 miles up the road) treated me as a full normal customer, because that is what I was and am. Indeed, they EXTENDED the 0% Apr deal for me beyond the official deadline, so I got my matt magnesio GQV at a 7k discount off list, at 0%, WITH a dealer contribution. I do wonder whether some of the myths about buying cars like this are peddled by some dealers to put people off.

Oh, and in my experience other dealers will haggle based on such quotes.

Member car history: 1986 GTV6, 2003 156 2.0 JTS, 2006 159 2.2 JTS, 2011 Giulietta 2.0 JTDM (170), 2015 Giulietta QV..........
AO Member

County: North Lanarkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingwray View Post
The only slight issue with these 'brokers' is when you you want to px. The dealers have used everything they have on the discount that at best you get book price or less for any px. They literally have nothing left to flatter you with which is why last week when I decided to change my three month old facelift Mito Veloce (1000 miles) for a new Giulietta Veloce that one dealer offered 10500, exactly 50% off the list price..... Suffice to say the Mito is staying.
I suppose it's all the same thing though
A dealer will have a fixed margin they want to get on a car, whether they give you 4k discount and 0 "benefit" or whatever on the part ex, or 2k discount and 2k on the part ex, the end result will be the same.
No dealer will bottom out their margin on the car and then give you a benefit on your part ex over and above that.
Or maybe I'm being too cynical! if one will then please point me in their direction!
(Post Link) post #21 of 89 Old 11-01-17 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio

Quote:
Thanks Nick, very helpful.
I found it surprising hefty discounts were available when the Giulia hasn't been on sale that long. It now makes sense if these guys are negotiating fleet discounts and then passing them on to the public by a lead generation website. Quite a clever simple business model.
Amazingly the 3 years free servicing is also available as part of the deal.
I take your point about taking the dealer out of the buying process could make it a bit more tricky later on if problems arise, they don't see you as a retail customer.
I had written off the idea of buying a QV until later this year especially after the price increases but suddenly its a possibility right now...
Nick has got it wrong, they aren't negotiating fleet discounts, it's literally nothing to do with fleet, and it doesn't take the dealer out of anything!! You are 100% a private buyer who signs everything with the dealer. Grinds my gears when people state things as fact which is without basis!
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

Are you getting a Giulia then to replace the Giulietta?
AO Member

County: Devon
Broadspeed are another good discounting site. In my view, there's no reason for a dealer to treat you any lesser, just that you're not fool enough to give them 4k for a cup of coffee????
AO Member

Gents, 2 pence (or rather 4.3k worth!). I used Carwow back in November to see deals on 2.0 Petrol super Giulia. Had offers from one dealer for 1500 finance discount + 1000 Loyalty bonus + 800 = 3.3k off list price when taking PCP (without PCP add the 1500 back). I then had a couple of similar quotes from other Alfa dealers which I then presented to Lipscomb as they have a price match policy. After some haggling via emails, they bettered all quotes and offered 4300 off list for my optioned Super. So, yes you can use Carwow etc. I had similar offers via Carwow from Audi, Jaguar and Skoda via Carwow which my local dealers were happy to try and match or at least get close to. So, I guess it depends on the dealer and their sales targets. With carwow you know the dealer making the offer which you can use to your advantage to another dealer. Having obtained the discount in no way diminished my dealership experience. Would I trade the dealer cuddling for 4k, most definitely yes because once car is sold, its the maintenance/parts department who pretty much deal with you for servicing and warranty which could be any authorised dealer. The very money I saved allowed me to afford a number of expensive options which I normally would not have considered.
aureol40012 and Top Down like this.

"With growling revolutions my soul shall transcend"
=========================================
Giulia 2.0 T4 MA (2017), Triumph Speed Triple 'R' (2016).

Previous:
159 2.2 JTS - 2008 - Goodbye Feb 2017.
Ducati 899 Panigale - 2014 - 2016.
Kawasaki Ninja ZX 6R - 2004 - 2014.
=========================================
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Giulietta,Kuga

So really you just need to do a little investigation with any car to find the best price and give dealers the chance to match , especially if they say they will. If including a trade in then this should be factored in.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa Giulia

Tags
dealcom , discounting , drive , giulia

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page