Alfetta gearbox strength - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 21-08-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfetta GTV

Alfetta gearbox strength

Hi all,

Making my hello post!

I was wondering at the strength limits in terms of torque/hp, of the 1978 2.0 Alfetta box, the TS box and the V6 box. I've purchased a Sports Sedan racecar with apparently a TS box.

The car runs 10" slicks, however, but is currently only running a standard 1962cc engine. Once I get a handle on driving the car, it is likely this engine output will be substantially increased. The box already has an LSD but with the loading of those tyres and future big numbers, I'm concerned about durability.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: herts
Re: Alfetta gearbox strength

Don't know about those technical specs mate, sorry.: used a 903cc Fiat Panda with a tow bar, that pulled a trailer with a half JCB bucket of 3/4 ballast and two bags of cement, and a few slabs!: Mind you, the gearbox hollered, and the front wheel drive lost traction, but always made it back to base.:

PS, Hello and welcome, Hope someone can help with your technical queries.:

Last edited by zulu ferret; 21-08-07 at 23:14.
AO Silver Member
County: Suffolk

hello and welcome! you hadn't found it allready!
plus there are a few more resouces if you look in the right places!

if it is a t/s box you have fitted, i know they are good for the power if you don't abuse it! i plan to run one in my 75 24valve project car which should be good for around 300bhp once ive finished all the mods on the engine!
the t/s box has lower ratio than the v6 box, which make for faster and easier off the line starts and acceleration, top end is hurt slightly but then it depends what sort of work the car is doing and type of circuits it going to run on (twisty, or long straights)
a rebuilt shift linkage is always good start, if you ever suffer miss-shifts, theres so much i could tell you about this subject (only recently learnt myself) i could easily write an essay here

The BORED No 6. The old 75'er no 2

The BORED Collective
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire
Hi, try these guys, they're based in the USA, but have members worldwide including Australia.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 23-08-07 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfetta GTV

Well Happy Re: Alfetta gearbox strength

Thank you, gentlemen, for your speedy responses! I've also been talking to the Beninca business here in Australia, as they've run large hp Alfas in racing, as well. They tell me they also have methods for strengthening these boxes, so if you want/need more info, you could try contacting them. I've found them very helpful and polite.

It's going to be a while before I play with the engine but I like to have these things planned....saves time and money in the end. Thankfully, the TS box has an LSD. As for use and abuse, the car will be mostly used for hillclimbs.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

alfetta , gearbox , strength