Tuning Giulietta 116 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning Giulietta 116

Hi there Alfisti,
My 116 series Giulietta 2l 1985 model is one of my long term projects. I need more info on tuning/modifying this car.
So far I have done the following to the engine: Enlarged ports and smooth ports, 3 angle valve seats, Group One cams (10.9 mm lift with 280 deg. duration) and 57mm straight through exhaust.

I need more info on the following please:
1)Is a K&N panel filter worthwile, as the standard paper element has a large area?
2)So far my jets are standard. (1.38 on 40mm Webers) My home town is about 2000 meters above sea level. Any recommendations on jets will be appreciated. I am not very keen on dyno tuning unfortunately.
3)Do "sport" ignition coils make a difference?
4)Has anybody got experience regarding power timing these cams? Advance/retard which cams?
At the moment only the inlet cam is advanced 4,5 degrees from the std timing mark. Exhaust cam is on normal marking.

To conclude, the car is quite powerfull as it is at the moment, and can easily out accelerate a std model, but I feel the car has more potential and tuning possibilities.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
hennie de wet
Great to hear from another South african. You are on the right track.
The K&N filter is a major improvement on the paper filter, I got mine from ATS in Jo'burg. Some people will tell you to use ramtubes/stackpipes. I found the standard airbox more than adequit.

You mention 138 main jets but nothing about venturi sizes or air corrector's.

Always a step in the right direction is to increase the venturi's. A 34mm or even a 36mm if you are serious about power. The fuel supply will have to be stepped-up (142?). Yes you will lose a bit of power during the progression stage, but a free revving engine is the result, and with those cams...

The 57mm exhaust sounds right. I had a 63mm on my car with one silencer box and Wildcat built the branch, it screamed like an angel in heat!!

I ran the standard coil with no problem and the cams were dialed precisely on the factory marks.
All you need now is a set of high compression pistons, I heard that the 159's are the thing. The set I had raised the compression significantly and, well more power...

Passionate people drive Alfa Romeo.
Thanks for the reply Hennie,
Have you got any suggestions with regards to the air correction jets?
About the 159 (Alfetta Gold Cloverleaf in U.K.) pistons: They give a 10;1 compression ratio, am I right? I heard these pistons are not very light. Will it still be safe to rev to 6800 rpm with these?

Kind Regards
hennie de wet

Agood place to start with Air correctors is 180. A large air jet will lean out the mixture at top rpm. A smaller jet will enrich the mixture at high rpm. You will feel the car "surging" if the fuel mixture is too lean.

As for the pistons, a good friend of mine revved his motor (GT Junior) 8000 with those pistons. Yes they are heavier but make sure you have it ballanced. but you know this.

Those cams are good but if you are really serious they will have to go...

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

116 , giulietta , tuning