Best shocks for a daily driver 75 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-15 Thread Starter
County: -

Member car:

Best shocks for a daily driver 75

Hello from Houston Texas.

I'm needing new shocks for my daily driver 75 (Milano over here). It's a 2.5V6 with stock suspension components.

Does anyone on this list have experience with the oil filled shocks sold by EB spares. The EB website doesn't list a brand. It just says standard oil shocks.

Currently I have Red Koni (set on full soft) on the car and I'm very happy with them, but they are twenty plus years old and wearing out. Ideally I would like to buy new Red Konis but they're not available in the USA and I don't think they are available anywhere else.

The roads in Houston are very bad. The soil here is called "gumbo". The more scientific name is Vertisol. In any event it swells up when it rains and contracts as it dries.

Vertisol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

So the roads are full of potholes and bumps, meaning that stiff springs and/or shocks are a non starter. I've driven a GTV6 with Yellow Konis and didn't like that at all. A very harsh ride and poor control over bumps.

I don't know how those shocks were set, but they were freshly installed on a GTV6 with a stock(just rebuilt) suspension.

The other shocks I'm looking at are SPAX (Front G136 rear G137). These aren't sold in America (for Alfas anyway) so this will be a shot in dark.

I've ridden in and driven a 1986 Jaguar XJ6 with SPAX shocks, and was very taken with the ride and control in that car.

So what do you think?

P.S. When I say the car is stock, I mean Euro stock. I've replaced the tall rear springs that was stock with many USA Milanos and installed European height rear springs.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

I repeatedly read that Bilstein B6 are highly recommend if going with upgraded aftermarket shocks.

However, perhaps chat with the guys at both IAP and Centerline who will know the conditions in the US far better. I notice these guys offer KONI, which are less favoured in Europe. Whether this reflects a difference in availability, or road conditions, I don't know.

Centerline Alfa Romeo Parts & Accessories | HOME | [888] 750-ALFA
Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia Parts since 1971 - International Auto Parts

AO Member
County: Cardiff

Member car:

75 TS

I've had Koni Sport (yellow) and Bilstein B6 on my car. Both are great but I'd rate the Konis better for a daily. The car goes better on Bilsteins but they don't like rough surfaces and can feel harsh at times. Not an issue for me now at less than 5000 miles a year but if I was doing more than 20,000 like I used to then it'd be back on Konis.

Had some Spax dampers on a 105 once and really didn't like them.
AO Silver Member
County: Wielkopolskie
Have a look at KYB (former: Kayaba) - B6s might be too hard for your liking.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

daily , driver , shocks