75 2.0TS losing power - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 09-03-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
75 2.0TS losing power

Hi everybody

The problem: I have a Alfa 75 2.0TS (no cat.). Two weeks ago it ran sooo smoth. Now it starts and runs fine, but when I put it in gear and go above 2000 rpm, it totally looses its power and almost dies.

The problem started a week ago when the car had stood still for about a week. The problem only occured above 3500 rpm. After another week of not driving the car it wanted to see if the problem was still there. It was - but now it's even worse. The car can hardly drive.
I live in Denmark where it's winter now and quite rainy. I therefore suspect that it could be some kind of electrical failure somewhere: Either ignition or lack of fuel.

I haven't had that much time to troubleshoot yet, but as far as I can see, all hoses and wires looks ok. The distributor caps and rotors seems to be ok too.

Is there anyone who has experienced the same behaviour and/or have a good tip to where to start looking for failures?

Thank... Kasper
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 75 2.0TS losing power

It may well be worth checking the voltage at the fuel pump. 75's have problems with the connector located on the bulkhead (o/s corner behind the sound insulation panel on RHD but may be different on LHD ) between the fuse box and the relays mounted on the inner wing. Voltage can also be dropped in the fusebox connectors and another connector behind the dash. I cut the pink/white wire from the fuel pumps which runs down the inner sill and connected it directly to the output of the connector on the bulkhead (which was replaced as it had burnt out!). I also fed the fuel pump relay directly (via a fuse) to the 12v connector block on the inner wing rather than via the relay feed, fusebox etc which also feeds the variator, its all too much for the wiring!. The voltage increased from 11v to 13.8v at the fuel pump and thats 11v after the burnt out connector had been replaced!
Having had the car shudder to a halt on the roundabout by Canterbury Police station and waiting for the crunch from behind tends to focus the mind!
May be worth doing anyway before it does fail.

Last edited by doveralfa; 10-03-07 at 21:14.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 15-03-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: 75 2.0TS losing power

Hi DoverAlfa
I found the problem! The voltage on the fuel pump was ok, BUT when I was struggling underneath the vehicle I noticed that the fuel hose from the filter was being squeezed between the gearbox cross member (or what it is called) and the bottom of the car.
I have had the gear mounts replaced and somehow the fuel pipe got caught and the car didn't get enough fuel.
If I hadn't inspected the fuel pump as you suggested I wouldn't have noticed it... Thank you!

Kasper (from Denmark)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

20ts , losing , power