What to look for in buying '77 Alfetta GTV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 20-02-07 Thread Starter
What to look for in buying '77 Alfetta GTV

I'm considering buying a 1977 Alfetta GTV and I wondering what I should look for? What are the most common problems with this model? Where do they normally rust? etc... also, are the workshop manuals for this model easy to get hold of?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Re: What to look for in buying '77 Alfetta GTV

I am no expert by any means, they will be along shortly.
i have an 82 car the main places for rust seem to be:

a) inner wings at top (easy to spot)
b) battery tray in boot
c) the back of the front wheel arches as they join the sill and floor pan, (there seems to be a built-in dirt trap to cause corrosion which can rot this whole corner out and if you cant weld it yourself will be expensive to have sorted i guess)
d) the sills themselves
e) the rear hatch door and around the rear lights

and last but not least, just when i thought it was all done

f) behind the rear wheels arches, the rear chassis rail to the bumper mounts, this seems to be another dirt trap built-in, and you can only see it if you properly get under the car, as its mostly hidden by the rear quarter bodywork.

I have also been warned of them rotting from inside the roof because of poor drainage if they have sunroofs and the front scuttle/bulkhead.
and the wheel arches too.(thankfully mine was good here at least)

Apart from that make sure you drive it for a good run to check the gears, engine and brakes, the usual for any car ...

oh and check the jacking points too

Best of luck mate.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 22-02-07 Thread Starter

Thanks for that! In the absence of the experts that's great advice to get me started at looking in the right places. My welding skills are pretty poor so rust tends to worry me the most!
AO Member

Make sure you have a good look at the bulkhead and scuttle as this is prone to rust and is v difficult to fix. Inner wings most common and also at the rear of the front wings at the bottom. The sun roof drains to here and if drainage pipes blocked can rust bottom of wing and cill here.

In terms of mechanically no real worries here, make sure you drive car from cold to test the gearbox and see if 2nd / 3rd gear syncros worn. If warmed up before hand may indicate seller worried about crunching gearbox. Also vibration in the drivechain on the 3 donuts can be a pain to sort out and balance. Rev car and spin up transaxel to see if smooth through rev range.

good luck

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

alfetta , buying , gtv