75 2.0ts buyer's guide? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 31-01-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
75 2.0ts buyer's guide?

Hi all
I put a similar thread onto the 33 forum ages ago, cos I initially planned to change my 145 for a 33, but I've changed my mind. I want a 75 instead!

It's a 2.0 Twin Spark I'm after (can't afford a V6 at the mo), so just wondering what I should look for when buying one? Any specific jobs that need to have been done, areas to check, specific areas prone to rust etc etc? I get the impression they're a fairly reliable car?

Hope you can all help

Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 75 2.0ts buyer's guide?

this is by no means an exhaustive list, but it covers some of the most common, and potentially expensive faults you may encounter on a 75.

electric sunroof, they've a habit of not closing.
electric windows. see above.
alfa control unit, prone to random lights coming on for no reason
in fact, typical alfa, pretty much all the electrics.
check the rear wheel bearings, they can be expensive to replace as they need to be pressed in at a machine shop.
if possible, check the propshaft donuts (3)
check brake operation, including handbrake. the rear brakes on the 75 can be awkward to adjust if you don't know what you're doing. my first 75 had dreadful brakes til i got them adjusted right.
if it's red, expect the colour to fade faster than you can polish it !! in my experience, the alfa red can fade to around 8 different shades on one car !!
check for peeling lacquer

most common areas of corrosion ;
front and rear jacking points
front chassis legs
radiator support/crossmember
around the engine mounts on the inner wings
around the arches, quite often hidden by the plastic over arch
inside the boot, around the floor. also, peel back the carpets & check around all the seams. there are a couple of blackspots in there, but i can't remember exactly where ? maybe someone else will point you the right way ?

also, the 75 has very little ground clearance, if memory serves me right it's only about 3 inches ?
this means the exhaust could have been rattled off every speed bump from here to kingdom come ! have a check & make sure it's not held on by a wish & a prayer !! a hard bang could potentially crack the manifold.
i'm not aware of any major mechanical failings of the twinnie ? check for good oil pressure, although this may not be possible, it'll depend if the gauge decides to work that day !
syncros are prone to wearing, you may have a crunch if you change 1st to 2nd, or 2nd to 3rd too quickly

parts are readily available should you need them, and they're no more expensive than any other alfa. performance parts are out there too, i love 75's, and i'd happily have another one in a flash. it's a great car to drive, comfy, reasonably frugal for a 2.0, and above all, they go like stink ! the lsd means you can steer the car on the throttle too. great fun !!

you're never alone with schizophrenia.

1992 alfa 75 2.0 twinspark l.e. (one of the last) now sadly departed

1971 mercury cougar. 302c.i., lightly tuned

1995 volvo 850 t-5 240 bhp the new toy !
AO Member
Re: 75 2.0ts buyer's guide?

There was a buyer's guide in Retro Cars Magazine in September (issue 39) last year, you should be able to get a back issue by calling 0870 8374773.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

20ts , buyer , guide