75 Twin Spark misfire mystery - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 15-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: -
75 Twin Spark misfire mystery

Hi all,

Some time ago, the 75 developed an intermittent misfire. However, it was almost like the car was stalling and starting again - the rev counter dropped and it re fired in a split second. Not ideal though! Nasty kangerooing and very frustrating.

I checked the leads, replaced both coils and dizzy caps. I also changed both king leads with decent quality brand new leads (coil to distributor) and this seemed to remedy the problem.

However, after a few months off the road at winter, the misfire is back. Not as often. In fact, very intermittent but when it 'strikes' it's bad and you end up driving by the seat of your pants. Not sure what to do, where to look now. Getting really fed up with it. Short of replacing all the plugs, leads, both distributors, I don't know where else to look.

The car used to run like a dream and was a joy to drive. I'm ending up getting really hacked off with it and don't really have the time (and certainly not s to spend) sorting it out!

Something is failing somewhere. You would have thought, as a twin spark, that even if one 'bank' of electronics failed, the other would compensate but it appears not!

Any suggestions / ideas / obvious things to look out or try?

Rockin' all over the road!
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Surrey
I would disconnect one coil module at a time and run it like that to see if you can work out which set the missfire comes from i.e. make it a "single" spark.
If that then shows up one set has the fault only half as many bits to check !
AO Member
County: Cardiff

Member car:

75 TS

Take a look at the multiplug that connects to the airflow meter. I had similar symptoms caused by dirty connections in here once. WD40 cured it.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 16-04-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: -
I think I've hopefully cured it. I discovered three HT leads were very loose over their respective spark plugs so could have been causing some sort of shorting out. The leads were quite taught too so I pulled through a bit more slack towards the engine and they are also being held down with the trim plate that fits over the top.

Seemed to be singing along nicely this morning so fingers crossed for an obvious and simple fix!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

misfire , mystery , spark , twin