Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
2-1/2 year rebuild complete!
Well after a quick rebuild (2-1/2 years!!) I drove my twinspark again Sunday. I spun a main bearing and damaged the crank beyond repair a while back. I sourced another engine that had a 'blown headgasket'. In reality the engine had rusted a head stud right through (not a biggie), blown the headgasket (not a biggie), and continued to be driven (a biggie). The crank was scored and the cams stuffed.
Out of two engines I made one serviceable, ground the crank 0.010 inch undersize, balanced, new bearings, new rings, new valve guides, basically a full overhaul using existing parts. Engine parts are all beadblasted and cleaned, all real pretty! Camshaft cover is shiny black.
I also rebuilt the gearbox with new syncho rings, synchro hubs and undamaged synchro teeth pressed onto the gears. Also threw in a new driveshaft donut and polyurethane engine mounts.
I repaired all the engine bay rust (not too much, just some where a front 1/4 had been welded in 15 years ago after an accident) and primed and painted the engine bay. I obtained and installed all the parts to get the AC working again, using a AC radiator from a Fiat (now also have the proper Alfa one, but the Fiat one is bigger so I'll keep it). Anyone got any R12? :-)
The clutch was a ******* to bleed. The drama after that was the clutch had bonded to the flywheel. To free that I put a bolt and nut in place of the slave to hold the clutch open for a week. I then raised the rear and started the car in gear, the shock freed the clutch. I have spent far too much time under this car mucking about with the clutch slave. I'm used to this job taking 5 minutes in a Toyota, not 90 minutes in an Alfa!
Driving report, only a faint metallic tinkle noise needed fixing (by removing the installation strap off the new driveshaft donut (oops!)). Gearbox shifts very slick, apart from crap alfa shifter of course! I warmed it up round the block and then did several 1/2 throttle and full throttle runs. The owners manual says don't exceed 3000rpm for 500kms, what a load of ********. I did 50kms on first drive, will do another 50 then change oil.
Unfortunately the car only makes 4 bar at 3000rpm and it drops to around 2 at high revs (whenoil is hot), with pretty much nothing at idle. I used the pump out of the "new" engine which was the larger late model high capacity pump. It was a bit worn but my budget was limited. When run in I will look at thicker oil options.
And the ARC lights are of course all flashing like a christmas tree, working normally I see...