2-1/2 year rebuild complete! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 15-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 75 TS

2-1/2 year rebuild complete!

Well after a quick rebuild (2-1/2 years!!) I drove my twinspark again Sunday. I spun a main bearing and damaged the crank beyond repair a while back. I sourced another engine that had a 'blown headgasket'. In reality the engine had rusted a head stud right through (not a biggie), blown the headgasket (not a biggie), and continued to be driven (a biggie). The crank was scored and the cams stuffed.

Out of two engines I made one serviceable, ground the crank 0.010 inch undersize, balanced, new bearings, new rings, new valve guides, basically a full overhaul using existing parts. Engine parts are all beadblasted and cleaned, all real pretty! Camshaft cover is shiny black.

I also rebuilt the gearbox with new syncho rings, synchro hubs and undamaged synchro teeth pressed onto the gears. Also threw in a new driveshaft donut and polyurethane engine mounts.

I repaired all the engine bay rust (not too much, just some where a front 1/4 had been welded in 15 years ago after an accident) and primed and painted the engine bay. I obtained and installed all the parts to get the AC working again, using a AC radiator from a Fiat (now also have the proper Alfa one, but the Fiat one is bigger so I'll keep it). Anyone got any R12? :-)

The clutch was a ******* to bleed. The drama after that was the clutch had bonded to the flywheel. To free that I put a bolt and nut in place of the slave to hold the clutch open for a week. I then raised the rear and started the car in gear, the shock freed the clutch. I have spent far too much time under this car mucking about with the clutch slave. I'm used to this job taking 5 minutes in a Toyota, not 90 minutes in an Alfa!

Driving report, only a faint metallic tinkle noise needed fixing (by removing the installation strap off the new driveshaft donut (oops!)). Gearbox shifts very slick, apart from crap alfa shifter of course! I warmed it up round the block and then did several 1/2 throttle and full throttle runs. The owners manual says don't exceed 3000rpm for 500kms, what a load of ********. I did 50kms on first drive, will do another 50 then change oil.

Unfortunately the car only makes 4 bar at 3000rpm and it drops to around 2 at high revs (whenoil is hot), with pretty much nothing at idle. I used the pump out of the "new" engine which was the larger late model high capacity pump. It was a bit worn but my budget was limited. When run in I will look at thicker oil options.

And the ARC lights are of course all flashing like a christmas tree, working normally I see...

1988 Alfa Romeo 75 Twin Spark
1994 Toyota Celica GT-Four Group A
Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Milano
Re: 2-1/2 year rebuild complete!

Well done mate! Really well done.

Do post some photos for us to see!
AO Silver Member
County: Warwickshire

Member car:

'01 GTV 3.0V6

That's an impressive dedication to keep a project going through adversary for 2.5 years.

As has been said elsewhere the oil pressure sensors are notoriously unreliable. Is there another way to test oil pressure objectively?
AO Member

It's good to see so much love for a very deserving vehicle i'll never forget the day i first drove my Alfa's though i have not had the pleasure of a twinspark , i suppose it will be next on my list. Good work.

Member car:

alfa 75,642.9bhp

Originally Posted by fantom alfa
That's an impressive dedication to keep a project going through adversary for 2.5 years.

As has been said elsewhere the oil pressure sensors are notoriously unreliable. Is there another way to test oil pressure objectively?
fit an after market guage and pressure sender they are much much more reliable. i left my origional one in to see the difference when i did mine and it was all over the place compared to the new one i installed

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

complete , rebuild , year