Ringing/tinkling noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Wave Ringing/tinkling noise

I've just bought another alfa 75 2.5 and it's making a tinkling/ringing noise at about 2600-3100 rpm and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this,the funny thing is my other one used to do exactly the same and I tried all sorts to fix it.
I don't think its pinking,I just filled it up with optimax and the noise is still there but I could be wrong.
I would be really interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem and what they did to fix it as it drove me mad in my last 75.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: Ringing/tinkling noise

i had this problem on my last 75, a twinnie.
drove me mental for weeks and i feared the worst ! to cut a long story short, someone had dropped a washer down the exhaust, which had fallen into one of the boxes !
you don't say what area the noise is coming from ? does it only happen under load, or is it there if the enging is revved in neutral ?
it's hard to diagnose a sound without hearing it, but it's worth having a look at the exhaust, maybe a box is collapsing, or a heatshield is loose ?

i had a clicking noise when my centre donut was breaking up, but it was more speed related than rev related ?

also have a look at the blades on the alternator fan, make sure they're not obstructed, or bent ?

you're never alone with schizophrenia.

1992 alfa 75 2.0 twinspark l.e. (one of the last) now sadly departed

1971 mercury cougar. 302c.i., lightly tuned

1995 volvo 850 t-5 240 bhp the new toy !
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 12-07-06 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: Ringing/tinkling noise

Thanks quattro!
Its a 2.5 auto I have this time,my other one is a qv,I've just taken it for a run again and revved it in neutral and theres quite a vibration gets up after 3000rpm and the noise is still there,it seems to be coming from under the centre of the car.
I reckon the propshaft doughnuts need some attention so I'll start there,I don't think they've ever been replaced.
I'm hoping on inspection there will be some sections missing,it would at least explain some of the vibration.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

noise , ringing or tinkling