To 75 or not ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 13-10-13 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Dublin

Member car:

156 GTA & 156 Ti

To 75 or not ?

That is the question.

Obviously you all love your 75s, but what are they like to live with ?

I am thinking of a 75 twin spark. It looks good, has the toys, but of course is not a modern car by a long shot.
So my question is, what are they like in the daily life ?
The car would not be a daily driver, but closer to that than a "once in a blue moon car" Maybe even driven on track once or twice.
I have never owned a classic car, and I am not really well skilled mechanically, though I know a few adept Alfa mechanics.

2003 156 GTA Selespeed - Alfa Rosso + black multispokes, Eibach anti rollbars, Quaife ATB diff, 330mm brakes, Bilstein B12, De-cat wrapped manifolds + EQ downpipes + Ragazzon silencer, CDA intake, (carefully) removed interior & Sparco bucket seats + 6 point harness
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Devon
For one they need to be used regularly! The horror stories are always about ones left to stand for an age.

Those that use them very often never had issues and I have in the past and they never missed a beat!

But ones used irregularly or left standing will constantly have seized caliper issues, shot bushes failed slave cylinders and often starting issues.

I always start mine and drive it around a little every weekend to keep it happy.

The 2.0 has good economy great balance and is a strong engine.

2nd gear syncros will inevitably wear and most to see will have a slight crunch, but just change a little slower and its fine.

The BIG no no is bulkhead rot! Check the vent in back of the engine bay beneath the windscreen for rot. Repair is complicated and expensive so it would need to be dirt cheap buy and mint everywhere else.

Rear lights rot as the water sits behind as do rear arches beneath the bodykit.

But so does pretty much any other 80's modern classic you look at , just factor it into budget.

There are some great twinsparks for sale at Alfa 75 - Index page
AO Member
County: Suffolk
I've just bought another 75, after living for 16 years since my last one.

The issue you will have is finding anything like a good 75twinspark for under 2-3k. I've been looking for 12 months to no avail............ So I bought a 75 3.0 V6 instead. They seem to be a bit cheaper...... Running costs and preference I guess.

Given the choice, I'd have a twin spark, better balanced car, lovely on B roads. But because I've got a great handling 71 Giulia GT junior which is great on B roads, I could justify settling for a. v6 75.

Tonight I just spent 10 mins with it on the drive, ticking over blipping the throttle with my lil 4 year old girl....... She loves it.

1971 Alfa GT1300 Junior - Red
1988 Alfa 75 3.0 V6 America
1989 Alfa 75 3.0 V6 Veloce - totalled by the Mrs, slowly being stripped.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ