'84 GTV6 front brake mods - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 21-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Member
Hmmm '84 GTV6 front brake mods

Have just purchased some 4 pot alloy Brembo's from a 24V GTV V6 and some 310mm disc's from a 166 V6 in the vain hope that they'll stop my GTV6.
Has anyone done a similar mod to this model before? Can anyone point out solutions to potential pitfalls? ie brake balance, need for bias valves, larger master cylinder etc.
Will photograph the stages of modification and final setup to assist others if successful.

Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Warwickshire
Re: '84 GTV6 front brake mods

Hi Simon,

Have you had a look on AlfaGTV6.com (The old GTV6.org forum I think), there seems to be a lot of discussion on brake mods on there.

There’s a commercially available kit that does a similar job, so I think it can be done..

Except they use the 305mm disk rather than 310mm and also use the original calipers.

I have absolutely no experience of this but would be very interested in your findings – from trawling through AlfaGTV6.com and Alfabb.com I think you will need an adjustable bias valve but it doesn’t seem to be a big job (I seem to recall it gave more feel as the Alfa bias valve adds to the overall vagueness of the system).

Not sure about the Master cylinder. If you do need a bigger size I’ve heard the 164 fits (24mm vs 22mm??) but they look totally different in the ePer CD I’ve got. Someone on one of the above websites has documented the fitting of a BMW 7/8 series MS but it doesn’t look like a straight swap..

What size wheels are you running? And are you aware of the SZ rear brake conversion? – might help to match the rears a bit closer to the front performance-wise?

Please keep us up to date – it’s a bit quiet on here (Probably not helped by me directing your elsewhere!) but it does get read, especially in the uk.

Hopefully some food for thought..
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 22-07-05 Thread Starter
AO Member

I had been looking at the RS Racing website and have already purchased a front anti roll bar from said gentleman. But did you see the price of the kit, 549 Euro, and thats with using the original callipers, albeit Brembo, but standard twin pot not four.
I am running standard wheels presently and will need to go for larger ones once I've engineered the swap. Not sure if 16 in's or 17 in's are the way forwards here.
I've gone for the 166 disc rotor's as they were closest in height to the original 1984 GTV6 disc's so that should help the swap somewhat. The other option was the disc from the same car as the callipers came from which is 305mm but marginally shallower on the mounting bell area.
For thirty quid, I thought I'd try the 164 disc's first, with the thought of moving to the GTV V6 disc's as a plan B!
As promised, I'll photograph all I can, you never know I may even submit it to the other transaxle community once it's proven.
AO Gold Member
County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

So you'll end up with something like this

You might just be able to fit 16" wheels (I have 16" wheels on my 156 with 305mm Brembo kit) but most likely you'll need 17" wheels

Last edited by Pascs; 04-07-07 at 13:28.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

brake , front , gtv6 , mods