75 fuel pump wiring - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 07-03-12 Thread Starter

Member car:

2000 156 1.8 TS

75 fuel pump wiring

I've recently bought an H-reg 75 2.5 V6 auto. It's a generally sound car despite standing for a while, and it passed its MoT last week with relatively little work required. It's quite an unmolested car - it still has its hydraulic suspension at the back - and drives nicely, but at some point the wiring for the fuel pump has been chopped about. The pump wasn't kicking in at all when I bought the car - I had to run a wire direct from the battery to the pump terminal to get the engine going.

It's now been wired back up in what looked like the correct way, but the pump is now running all the time the ignition is on, which is causing the engine to overfuel at low revs and either refuse to idle at all or idle at 1800rpm - neither of which is ideal with an automatic gearbox.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram which shows the correct way to wire up the pump? I'm assuming there must be a relay somewhere which isn't currently connected properly.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Buckinghamshire
It used to be a very common problem for the fuel pump wiring to have issues; normally the (inadequate) connectors above the fusebox were the problem. You need to follow those pink and white wires...

The fuel pump should only run when the engine is turning over, not with just the ignition on. On those old Bosch L-Jetronic systems, the fuel pump relay is triggered by the airflow meter, so make sure the afm flap is not sticking. The fuel pump relay is a large black double relay, mounted on the o/s of the engine bay bulkhead, if I remember correctly (look for those pink and white wires again!).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

fuel , pump , wiring