Loose sunroof lining - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Help Loose sunroof lining

Any one fixed sagging roof lining to the sun roof, I will try glueing it back into place whilst insitue as removing the sunroof seems a little extreme (never mind complicated!). Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Buckinghamshire
Re: Loose sunroof lining

I tried on my old 75 but it wasn't particularly successful. The problem is the lack of space to get fingers in to turn up edges etc. Plus you are effectively working upside down.

It ended up sticking in some places but not everywhere, so still sagged a bit. But by the end it did mean I could use it again ...

I think to do the job properly, it needs to come out.

BTW I used Bostik Contact adhesive.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Sold :(

Re: Loose sunroof lining

You need to remove the sunroof liner panel. To do this follow these steps:
  1. Put the sunroof up into tilt mode as far as it will go
  2. You will see two "hooks" on the underside of the sun roof panel near the back and on either side of the sunroof. Attached to these hooks is spring assembly that holds the sunroof liner flap in position. Un-hook them, quite easy and very easy to put back. You do this from the exterior of the car BTW.
  3. Now put the sunroof into straight back mode and put it as far back just far enough to get your hands in. You should now be able to get your fingers inbetween the sunroof liner and the sunroof panel. At either edge just near the tracks you should be able see/feel a triangular shaped bar that attaches to the liner. This moves the liner back and forth with the sunroof panel. There are two very fragile clips there. Be very careful and gently prise them up. This done from inside the car BTW.
  4. When you move the sunroof further back this should un-hook the roof panel from the liner.
  5. Put the roof as far back as it will go. Push the liner as far forward as it will go with your hand
  6. Get out of the car and you can see the roof liner panel exposed. There are four track runners that are clipped onto the sunroof. Pop two of these on the same side and then lift the panel out.
  7. The car is still driveable without this but it is quite noisey.
  8. Once removed you can see where the roof lining is attached. Remove it. Clean every part so that there is very little of the original glues residue.
  9. Using the best contact adhesive you can find that won't melt synthetic fibres. I used some that is very resistant to moisture and heat as I think that is what killed the last load of glue. Put the glue on thinly otherwise it will come through the fabric and look pretty bad with yellow stains from the glue.
  10. Line he carpet back up with the liner and stick it together. If you get any glue coming through the carpet then get a rag with turps to it pretty quickly.
  11. Put a decent amout of glue on the back of the liner so the edges really stick this time. Attach the metal clips whilst the glue is still wet. Otherwise you will not be able to move the tangs!
  12. Leave it out of the car for a decent period, a couple of days, so that the fumes have dicpated abit. Otherwise the car will really reak and be uncomfortabe to be in.
  13. Stick it back in and your done

"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel." Samuel Johnson
"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious." Oscar Wilde

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

lining , loose , sunroof