Cleaning my engine - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-03-08 Thread Starter
AO Member
Cleaning my engine

Wondered what everyone uses to get the engine looking good. Ive the spark plug cover plate off at moment and am trying to clean it up with not much luck
There just seems to be so much ingrained grime on it !

Ive had the rocker cover off my Imp polioshed to a mirror finish with autosol and thats ally but cant seem to cut through the grime with this one.

Also my engine could do with a good clean generally what do people recormend ..steam cleaning ??? Im not too keen on jet washers etc with the close proximaty of the electrics etc .

All advise welcome

Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
Re: Cleaning my engine

Gunk and a wire brush, and the visible bits you want to look good have been done with a wire drill brush. Hard to keep looking good these alloy engines, begining to think people must lacquer them or paint them to stay looking good.

Last edited by purple145; 30-03-08 at 17:36. Reason: spelling
AO Platinum Member
County: Gloucestershire
Re: Cleaning my engine

I just use warm soapy water, a used kitchen dish brush, a toothbrush (Hard/soft), and a damp cloth to rinse. Avoid the electrics like the plague!
AO Member
Chilling Re: Cleaning my engine

The cheap way....... with the engine COLD, use an old paint brush and some white spirit to work into the ingrained grime. Don't stint the white spirit, you want it to soak into the gunge that's ingrained in the unpolished alloy.
Let it sit for a while, to get it well soaked into the gunge - 20 - 30 minutes or so - but don't let it dry out.
Using some neat washing - up liquid and that old paint brush again, work it in to get all the dirt mobile and dripping off. Once you're happy, wash it off with some water, make sure you get rid of all the white spirit and detergent - but don't hose it, electrics don't like it! (and it's a good idea to mop up any excess with some kitchen towel or similar).
Start er' up with the bonnet open, and let it warm up till there's no water left sitting about. (it'll probably steam a bit)
If you want to polish the alloy up, little brass or stainless steel wire brushes are good on the as - cast stuff, Solvol Autosol for the polished bits.

Bad things to do:

1. Wash it off with a high pressure hose - you'll get water into lots of electrical bits.
2. Wash it off with a pressure washer - you'll get more water into lots of electrical bits, and into mechanical bits too, in behind oil seals etc.
3. Use a steam cleaner - as above, and you could cook some plastics and electrics as well!

And if you're worried about the flammability of white spirit, check how easy it is to set fire to Gunk - it's just another flammable solvent! (you can't buy a gallon of Gunk for a fiver though!)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 75, RZ, SZ

cleaning , engine