HELP - Replace Fuel Rail Hoses? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By gritsop
  • 1 Post By kuseetha
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 07-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Central
HELP - Replace Fuel Rail Hoses?

Dear Friends,

In my 33, I noticed this fuel hose is slightly cracked so thought to replace the whole thing. (see photo) This inputs fuel to the fuel rail. I already read that the Wurth hoses are great (advise from the wise man Gritsop). So I am thinking of going for them.

Also, I noticed the loop like fuel rail is also looking pretty ugly (obvious cracks on its cover tube) but no idea whether the inner tubes are OK. Anyway thought of replacing that too, to be on the safe side. Looks like this is the one came from factory?

Inlet manifold is already off. Tried removing the pulsation damper but damn it is too tight (20 or 22 mm nut?), donít want to break it. So I am thinking of taking the fuel rail out with the damper together, by un-clipping the hose beneath the damper.

How difficult are the rest of the things? Especially removing the outer tube, replacing the inner tubes of the rail and putting things back to place? How to make sure these connections to be leak proof? (see photo)

I am a novice in this so I really appreciate your kind help.
Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG3348.jpg (37.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3347.jpg (41.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3340.jpg (28.1 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Attica

Member car:

33 & 147

Hi Tharanga

The fuel rail is actually put together from the factory. The inner part of the rail is made of nylon hose shaped accordingly and there is a foam type of protection on the outer side. I would bet that if you try to dismantle the rail in order to replace the foam and put back together the nuts, you will simply ruin the fuel rail. The nylon hose is specially curved from factory with the help of hot air and the hose has been accurately pressed in the unions/nuts with the help of O-rings to ensure it is leak free. Nylon hose and metal unions are so tight that they cant be separated and should by any chance be separated there is no way to put them back together. Only if you get new nylon hose which comes in rolls and get the special pliers for that job, you will be able to restore the fuel rail. In case you want to simply replace the fuel rail for the looks only and it doesn't leak , then getting a new one is one way road.

Be sure to remove the complete fuel rail along with the regulator/damper. If you want to separate the rail from the damper, use loads of WD40 to soak the nut. Fuel contains moisture which turns the nut solid. For better leverage, place the nut on a vice (don't tighten the nut to much) and slowly try to break it free.

Yes, this fuel rail is original to the 33. In addition don't be tempted to the idea of cutting the nylon hoses and replace them with rubber ones. You don't want to have many rubber fuel hoses on the engine bay... they are a point of failure and the consequences are fatal is something goes wrong.
kuseetha likes this.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 08-02-16 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Central
Thumbs Up Thank you

Thank you Gritsop, that answered all my questions. I will leave the fuel rail as it is and only replace the ones leading to that.
gritsop likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

fuel , hoses , rail , replace