Maybe someone could give me an advice or two on my project.
I've bought two 1.7 8v engines (they were cheap) for my sud project.
And I was wondering, what should I put in my Sud.
The first engine I bought was from a 87' 33 (305.50) and has mechanical lifter's and dual Weber IDF40 carbs. I knew nothing about the engines history, so I took it apart. Cleaned it and put new gaskets. It now sits almost assembled in a corner. I noticed that one of the cylinders had some first signs of rust appearing, so I'm not too sure if it's a good idea to use it without honing the cylinders.
The second engine I bought has hydraulic lifter's and had fuel injection on it. I know the engine was good, because it was running a couple of months ago. It has a bit of a leak from the water pump, but otherwise it's good.
I also have 2 gearboxes, one from the original 1.2l engine with inboard discs and the other one from a 1.7 with outboard discs.
And now I'm wondering, what to put in my Sud.
1) Hydraulic vs mechanical head's? As I understand, the hydraulic one's have less problems, but are less powerful?
2) Things to change while rebuilding the engine and maybe the gearbox (head gaskets and belts/tensioners of course, but what else)?
3) Any advice on electric fuel pump (if I'm using the 2nd engine, the block does not have a mechanical pump on it and the pump holes are blocked off). Are the electric Facet pumps any good?
4) Which gearbox to use: the original 1.2 liter Alfasud box or the 1.7 box?
5) What front suspension/brakes (outboard/inboard) to use? Which parts are interchangeable?
Any advice or comments are welcome
BTW. A video of me testing ignition and carb's on the hydraulic head engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDxe5_-Me4