Help - Rust under clutch master - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
  • 1 Post By gritsop
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 29-12-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Central
Help - Rust under clutch master

Dear Friends,

I bought a 33 a few weeks ago and I found a lot of debris and then rust on the panels under the clutch master cylinder. I plan to keep this 33 for a long time so I thought to fix it properly. I thought it is better to cut and replace the panels instead of using rust converter.

In the picture X circle is a hole that has rusted through. It is the worst bit. In the same picture, B area below green line is good metal. A area is the affected area. Again C area is also good. The A and C areas have one panel on top of another panel.

Another picture of the steering column, I have put yellow spots on few bolts.

1. Will this cut affect the structural integrity?
2. Do I have to remove the AC box as well in case of welding?
3. Any suggestions on how this should be approached?

Please advise, thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG3201.jpg (132.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3200.jpg (157.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3199.jpg (263.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3197.jpg (289.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3071.jpg (80.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG3070.jpg (214.0 KB, 11 views)
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Attica

Member car:

33 & 147

From the photos it appears that the rust mess has been caused by two factors. First is brake fluid leak which seems to have been massive and second is debris accumulated on the bulk head area. Brake fluid is a massively corrosive fluid which in combination with moisture trapped on the debris has accelerated corrosion. Funny enough I had this job done on my 33 last summer.

The amount of rust was just on the surface but if left untreated it would be a nightmare. If you want a proper job done you need to remove the AC box and the battery tray plus all wiring. There is no need to remove the wiring entirely but you may simply put it out of the way so that the boy shop is able to spray new paint.

You have almost done 33% of the job by removing the hydraulics. From the photos I see that you will need the pedals box and pedals blasted and powder coated, new plastic bushes for the pedal shafts, new master cylinders, and have the steering column frame remove if you want to paint it also. It is a matter of how long you want to go and how much detail to do. For sure where metal has rusted through, it will need welding. The amount of rust is too big to rely on rust converters ... rust will come back for sure, so better do it once and for all to have the bulkhead completely empty and a body shop treat the bulkhead properly.

In my case, dismantling took me 3 days, the body shop around a week and reassembly around 1 week. More or less around 20 days working on the afternoons.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP4187 - Copy.JPG (158.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4215 - Copy.JPG (140.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP4219 - Copy.JPG (154.1 KB, 21 views)
kuseetha likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

clutch , master , rust