a nice evenings work tonight
started off with the last view of the red painted floor, which i re-did a few areas last night which had been scuffed with me getting in and out
then fitted my sound-proof matting that i bought a while back specially for the job. the mrs is pleased to get this out from under the bed, creates dust she says
cut a few bits out but the rest will be done as i go, folded into the areas where needed as i go
then put the carpet in, just because i wanted to
got the shelf almost fitted to see if it goes in ok, it does but just a repair needed to the passenger side mounting. plenty of fittings etc to go in plus the holes for the gear lever, seat bolts, hand-brake etc but i just wanted to see something other than a bare floor
had a call from pat and his brother then about getting a seat which should be worth the 350 odd mile round trip next wednesday afternoon/evening, looking forward to it pat & mark
then into the shed to start on the gearbox/brakes.
first job to fit my new calipers which had thankfully arrived today despite being ordered over a week ago, all well in the end though
then fitted the new hand-brake cable, after having to take off the o/s caliper again to make it easier to fit the cable to the lever
then time to fit the new goodridge hoses. only problem was they fitted ok, but......it just didn't seem right. there was a copper washer supplied with them which pointed towards the pipe going in fully to the seal, it didn't
the taper on the end didn't match the fitting inside the caliper either? checked on the old ones and they were the same, looke dlike they had just been tightened down as they were, but without a decent seal i wasn't happy. if they were conventional calipers where you can get at them easily i might have tried it on the car, but i wasn't taking chances.
decided the only option was to make up short adapter pipes as i didn't want to send either the calipers or flexi-pipes back. happy enough with them
they should be ok, with where they are situated close to the centre line there isn't an awful lot of movement so shouldn't need a bracket. if they do get some flexing/vibrations then i will make up a bracket to hold them. should be ok though
then just the connecting brake pipes to make up and fit
will fit the discs tomorrow night as it was 11-30pm by the time i had finished. will probably leave fitting the pads until it is all in the car, will make it more awkward to fit the pads but will allow the hand-brake cable a bit of slack to allow it to get connected at the lever. i tried it in the shed and tensioning the hand-brake cable springs while trying to fit it in the lever is tricky enough, without having to fight against the pads.
should be all ok for fitting the engine/gearbox back in this weekend