Alfa 33 16v engine / loom for sale - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-04-15 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

Alfa 33 16v engine / loom for sale

Hello Folks,

Just taking the engine out of my track car - so that the 1800 replacement can go in.

The engine is half out - just lost daylight to finish it off, so it is still in the car.

Here is the low down. The engine was running fine, but recently it decided to have a bit of a girlle mood. It always seemed to overfuel a bit - and I put this down to the aftermarket chip that was in the ECU. I was wondering also was it poor spark plugs or leads. So, I changed the leads and the cap only to find that the replacement leads are the ones that need the screw on bullet end to the spark plug. The ones in the car (plugs) only have the threaded end. Went to put the original leads back - and somehow got totally confused with the leads. I know the firing order - but somehow managed to confuse myself trying to find TDC and the correct position for the first lead. So, possibly the leads are in the wrong location / order.

Also, in the past, I used to have to fairly regularly clean the plugs if I had not got the engine really quiet hot. Anyway, been doing some short runs around the block, parked it on the driveway at the end of last week, went to start it on Good Friday and it would not fire. So, thought what a good time to pull it and put the go-faster engine in.

Saying that - before I pulled the engine a friend and I had a quick go to get it running. Changed the fuel pump, checked the fuel pump relay, changed over the crank position sensor, swapped over the crank position sensor, tried so different combinations on the plug leads, but non of these made it fire up.

We thought it may be the starter motor - as it cranks a bit slowly, the AFM - which we never got round to changing, gave up and went and put the kettle on.

So, to recap, what is for sale is (what in normally good) 1700 16v engine, with loom and ECU. I have some spare other parts as well to go with it possibly, but let me know what you need. It just needs someone who knows what they are doing to get it working (the basic engine is good - the problem is somewhere in the controls. I am a bit fed up with Bosch Motronic ML 4.1 and will be happy to see the back of it) - my new engine is going to work on Omex, so do not need the loom etc.

The price for the engine and loom etc is £330 and happy to help load it up etc.

Will also put it all on a pallet if that helps - but you would clearly need to cover the cost of the pallet / delivery. I am near Bristol if you were thinking of travelling.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

16v , alfa , engine , loom , sale