33 electrical issues: headlights/speedo - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 03-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Australia
Hmmm 33 electrical issues: headlights/speedo

Calling out for help with this one.

'91 33 (RHD) Headlights stopped working one night. Changed a few relays round and they came on for the journey home.

Now only the left works. When ignition is on, dash warning lights work, but light indicators don't. Fuel and temp gauges max out and speedo indicates anywhere from 60 to 140 kph. Electric windows work intermittently, as does the fan. Turning headlights on changes the speedo/gauge readouts...

I have replaced all fuses and tried all relays in different sockets, with reference to the workshop manual. I can't find any correlation between the faults presented and a particular fuse or relay. I'm stumped...

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

that is a really, really bizarre problem.

For something so strange as that I would start to look at my earth connection, but after a quick check of those I would then go through all of the multiplugs between the dash and the front of the engine. There are roughly 3 that join the in car loom to the front of the engine looms - and they can cause problems such as you describe.

Open up the multiplugs and see if any of the pins have discoloured / look like they have over heated. I have seen many times, on many cars wires bridging around multiplugs to overcome the problems which may be similar to what you are experiencing.

Worth a try....

Also, just check that the strips of cable harness are fully pushed in to the back of the fuse board. There about 10 or so individual strips of cables on plug strips, that plug into the back of the main fuse board, check that these are fully bedded in place.

Check for a good live and neutral connection at the battery.

Check for a good connection of all of the earth where there collect together on the engine bay crosswalk.

Finally, remove the cowl around the steering wheel and check that the 6 multiplugs that clip in around the steering column, that interface with all of the switches are all correctly bedded.

Oh, one final thing, open your front doors and slowly move them back and forth whilst operating the window motor switches. I have seen before very small breaks in the cable allowing some current to flow to earth, which can upset all sorts of things.

I do however think that from what you have described above - you have a bad earth.....
AO Member
County: Limerick

Member car:

alfa 33 p4

As Edward said check all earths and the multi plugs.iv had problems with my headlights,it was down to one of the multi plugs in the engine bay.a can of contact cleaner might help you out too.my plugs looked fine but just weren't making a decent connection.one bad earth can cause a multitude of problems as the current looks for a path back.
I had the same problem with my electric windows.found it to be the plugs in the door.
The problem usually occurs when a car has been sitting up for a while with no current flowing in the cables causing the connections to corrode.at least that's my theory
Hope this helps.
AO Member
County: Gloucestershire

Member car:

alfa 33 s2

Agree with above. Has happened to me on two different cars. Each time multi plug in bulk head. Copper grease in sorted.
(Post Link) post #5 of 5 Old 06-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: South Australia
Thanks to all for the assistance.

Still no joy. Might be time for a professional.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

electrical , headlights or speedo , issues