Sprint front suspension reassembly - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 27-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member
County: East Dunbartonshire
Sprint front suspension reassembly

Hi Folks

Have a long-ongoing Sprint resto project, mine is a 1988 on F plate.

Bought new front shock recently so obviously dismantled the front suspension. However getting it all aligned when putting it back together is proving a bit tricky. I know the spring pans are sided, but just can't seem to get it to sit correctly. From what I can work out, the end of the spring should sit at 90 degrees to the inside of the arm that the steering rods attach to. Equally the notches on the top suspension mounts should sit at 45 degrees pointing rearwards. A cherished advisor also told me that the shortest overhang of the bottom spring pan is the forward facing part. For the record - the Haynes manual is useless on this count as it says the usual 'reassembly is the opposite of dismantling' ......... Last night I reattached the struts then tried to fit up the bottom arms but the alignment is miles out. Do the suspension strut and arms need to be put together as one then married to the body?

Anyway, there are a series of notches and cut outs in the various mounts that are self explanatory when putting things back together. However there is one notch on the top mounts that serves no purpose other than seemingly being an indicator.

Can anyone give any helpful hints/tips

Si puo nascere Alfista, si puo anche diventare Alfista.
Ma si muore sempre come Alfista

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
Unless you swapped parts left to right you shoould be ok on the assembly of the strut. Getting the 4 bolts at the bottom of the strut to the hub back in requires some serious and carefully applied force. When you first start they are a million miles away from lining up, but it does go together.
AO Member
County: Dorset

Member car:

'89 Sprint 1.7

I also had this problem and was told that the skiniest part of the lower spring pan faces the inner wing. Just doing that seemed to sort out the clunking mine had. As for the top mount who knows, I just put the mount back in the same position as I could see where that pointless cutout had been sat before. It didn't look like it was at the right angle to me but that's how it was before. This suspension is a bit odd as when you or a garage jack up the front and turn the steering wheel, the spring pan is then sat back down in the wrong position?! I'm new to alfas and still trying to get my head round some of there 'unique' ideas!
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

Sprint QV 1989

Been there, felt that pain :-(

Have a look at the thread I started a year back I think. Mine wasn't so much the positioning of the lower spring pan, more the spring not sitting straight.

Got there in the end thoug, and it's driving beautifully, so it must be ok :-)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

front , reassembly , sprint , suspension