SELLING my Alfa 1500cc Car- modifoed boxer motor and suspension - Australia - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 06-02-14 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales

Member car:

1986 33 1.5

SELLING my Alfa 1500cc Car- modifoed boxer motor and suspension - Australia

Hi Alfa Owner people...

Its time for me to sell off some of my Alfa 33 / SUD stock pile. Located in Sydney, Australia

I am selling my 33 complete and registered - probably for parts - and would really prefer a good home that appreciates the potential of the parts in this car. The motor was built by a great performance engine builder, it was commissioned for a better car than mine however the car was crashed before the motor was finalised and delivered. I purchased the motor and did the last few steps (tappet shims and assemble checks). The gear box was also built to suit the motor.

please see my ebay add (sorry) for full details.... or see below for a copy of the text only... thanks for letting me post this.... I dont have permission to use the classifieds...

ebay add with photos :

hope its of interest......

ALFA 33.
this is an absolute bargain for any ALFA 900 series fan... if your thinking of setting up a project street or track car... SUD/ 33 or Sprint... or just to add to your current car... the parts from this car will make you really happy. Check the info below.... I have dropped the price to get this sale moving... I dont have the time to take another project on... this was my daily driver for approx 10 years and I have done a lot to the car, mainly when i was a real Alfa enthusiast a few years back - however I have not really cared for the body in the past few years as rust finally got in there.... the car contains all the parts to put together a very nice hotted up Alfa 33, SUD or Sprint Note: I am going to be selling a few other of my Alfa Boxer projects soon also....

THIS CAR IS READY TO DRIVE EXCEPT BATTERY IS REMOVED- AND HAS REGO TILL 11/3/14. Rego can be extended another 6 months without inspection. I have the renewal slip already.

For those who asked regarding who did the work on the motor and gears box, I contacted the original builder who I purchased the motor off direct - Stephan Nicotra at that time from Renato Performance Darlinghurst (and may be there still). He builds Race, Drag and Street motors.
Please contact me first if you want to verify with him. He remembers the work done - its around 10 years back (keep in mind I have had this car off the road garaged for 2 years or so of this time) the motor has probably done around 70,000km or less.
Stephan said it is ok to refer potential buyers to him however I would prefer only serious buyers please.

WORK DONE confirmed by Stephan:
Blueprinted, balanced and nitrided crank, 70/30 cams, ported/ flowed head with custom exhaust valves, forged / flycut pistons, raised compression. Custom gear box.

I did the final assemblies of this motor so have seen all the work done..... the motor cost a "pretty penny" and the motor still has many more years of life to go.....

I would not recommend driving the car often without addressing the rust in the rear hatch and the general look might catch attention. Also i did some damage to one rear corner reversing around 4 months back. the blinkers and lights still work - see the photos.

The good things about the car are:
The motor - was built by a race/drag engine builder - the crank has been balanced and nitrided along with fly cut pistons and custom exhaust valves. Also the cam has been upgraded. The motor was designed to be run with a custom fuel injection system or jetted carbs however I never did more than re- fit standard 36mm twin webers with factory tuning and the motor still runs well... I missed a lot of potential there. It was designed to rev way over the red line with all the modifications and fly cut pistons, however I never removed the standard rev limiter at around 65000 rpm so its really been babied. It revs smoothly through the whole rev range and really comes to life after 4500rpm.... the motor has never been raced or trashed. I always drove it with care but in a sporty way... it pulls and revs beautifully. The Oil Sump has been chromed. The Block and Tappet covers are Green. Its awaiting a tidy up and could be furthered with carbie jetting.... ( I have some 40 mm Carbies I could sell, in very nice condition)....
The Carbi's - Fitted with 2 x original 36mm Dual throat down drought Webers. Still with factory tuning. 4 x Trumpets have been fitted with air filters socks. The trumpets are not flared and were specified for 36mm Webers.I can include the original plenums and air box.
The Exhaust - I managed to get an original New Old Stock ANSA crossover manifold from the UK. Its still in good condition and really adds to the motor. The last join has been cut to fit a 2 inch pipe running back to a back box - I think just a CAT brand?? (the straight through I tried was soooo noisy, this one is better and stll breathes) and a 1 3/4 tail pipe dumper for a little back pressure. The pipe ends just under the car so you cant see it... ie no rev head tubes showing....
The Gear Box - Again custom built by the same motor shop with and for this motor. Original case from a SUD so it fits SUDS or 33's (has inboard brake threads if you wanted to use them on a SUD). Inside are specifically chosen gear ratios to suit performance driving - from memory lower ratios early on.... I have driven 4 cylinder alfas since having my license 20 years back so treat the gears with love - there is absolutely no issues with this box - no syncro probs - grinding or anything on downchange. Its a real winner. The clutch fitted was from a later model with more tension spring than normal. And a Valeo plate. Still works fine.
The Suspension - Koni Yellow at the rear - Koni Red at the front. Never set too hard. Springs from a series 2 alfa 33 on front (this car is series 1) - Spax red stiffer and slightly lower at the rear. ( I have the SPAX fronts still new and can include in the sale however maybe too low for road, think track?). Front Cross Bar from a SUD with a SUD sway bar has been fitted (the thicker type). Top mounts all good. STRUTS are straight. Steering is straight on. Bushes were replaced in the front end some years back with the Konis. i went to alot of trouble to get the front end straight and picked straight struts from several candidates.
The Brakes - There is a new master cylinder (still shiny). Brakes work well. All standard.
The Interior - The seats and door trims are from a series 2 TI quadrafoglio 1.7 litre. The dash is original and in great condition thanks to the 80's tinted glass. The steering wheel is from a series 2 and is in fine condition. Speedo doesnt work - tacho does. The tinting on side windows and hatch is lifting thanks to a car wash cafe chemical spray and age.
The wheels - The car has "telephone dial" wheels fitted with Pirelli Dragons. One spare is currently fitted from "pepper grinder" wheel set. One Pirelli may not be slavageable (replaced with spare)... plenty of tread however I left it flat for 3 months. Other wise the tyres are ok.... just not new. The spare is on the front and this changes the cars tracking a little so its not dead straight however I can promise with matching front tyres it drives really straight. I rebuilt the front end several times to get it right. ( to get straight struts and bushes etc). I will also include a full set of 4 of "Pepperpot" rims in good shape if you want them.

The Bad things are:
The Body - Looks terrible now. Original paint faded, temporary sprays here and there to stop a surface rust out break. - I have lived with this car by the coast for the 10 or so years i have owned it. The Hatch is rusted to bits and I finally reversed into a pole. In saying that - there is not many signs of rust under the bonnet. There is a patch above the windscreen and a few bits along the sills. I used to treat out breaks annually.
The Mechanics - probably due for new timing belts and at the same time front oil seals. This is standard stuff on these motors.

you may see a bit of oil on the chromed sump - this is from the oil breather pipe being absent - I removed it a while back and that has leaked some oil ontop of the motor, that has run down the sides... I was a bit lazy to fit a custom bottle.

So you can see this car would make a really good donor for a new project - 33 , SUD or Sprint. For track or street. The value in the parts is certainly higher than the sell price. I have a lot of the original parts in the car which cover the view of the motor in these photos... so it can be hard to realise the potential here.

I don't have the time or space at this point. The car is in Bondi. If your genuinely interested come and have a look or just call for info on 0404222160. - (Richard)

Also i will be selling another car soon - ALFASUD 4 door with a good 1.7 litre engine/ 40mm Webbers / Koni's and MOMO style13" wheels.Also lots or parts avail in 2 1.5 litre motors. (Twin Weber with shimmed tappets).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg alfa-motor.jpg (72.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg alfa_koni.jpg (51.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg alfa_sump.jpg (91.8 KB, 14 views)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

1500cc , alfa , australia , boxer , car , modifoed , motor , selling , suspension