147 Alfadiag & rear windows - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 01-02-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Canterbury
147 Alfadiag & rear windows

Hi all,

I have just bought another Alfa, I though two wan't enough. The new one is a 2003 147 Selespeed.

This is very new to me as the other two are 16v 33 and an Sud Sprint.

I want to get the bits I need to connect to the ECU's, there are load of old posts around talking of Alfadiag and Alfadiag.net but I can't find anything here. Does anyone have a link to a download site.

Also the odo is flashing, there has been a lot of forum discussion about this. It is having enough time before start up to do a system scan so that's not it.
From what I understand it does a system scan when the key is on and if its not happy with something it flashes. My rear windows don't work, they are completely dead from all switches so manual assistance doesn't work. Could this be something to do with the odo? I think the front switch is working as it still beeps when the button is pressed.

Also would anyone be able to explain in a nutshell what the Can system is?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Louth

Member car:

33 16v

Cant help much but check out Multiecuscan - Diagnostics software for Italian cars for the diagnostics. Cant offer any assistance with the rest I'm afraid.
AO Silver Member
County: Budapest

Regarding the CAN system it aims to simplify / reduce wiring connections inside the vehicles.
The CAN can be considered as a serial communication network between all units within the vehicle.
For example: instead of wiring the speedo, RPM, coolant temperature, warning lights, etc. signals
independently into the instrument cluster, the whole information can be transmitted on two wires.
The microcontroller inside the instrument cluster will process the the serial data, and sets the
warning lights, speedo, coolant, RPM instruments, etc. accordingly.
Another example: all switches of the passenger compartment (central locking, power windows,
horn, wiper, demister, turn inidcator...) can "sit" on the same two wired bus.
Every switch has a unique ID. The "body computer" on the bus will listen to these IDs,
and enables the actuators, DC motors, turn indicators accordingly.
Some switch IDs may be monitored more than one controller units, e.g.: the signal of the crash detector
is monitored by the body computer (to fire the airbags) and the engine management as well (to disable the fuel pump).
The A/C switch is also one of these.

While the faults of the "old fashioned" wiring can be located with a multimeter (even at home),
the diagnostics of the CAN bus requires special tool to analyze the messages sent through
the network.

It didn't fit in a nutshell, but I hope it helps.
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

What a pain in the arse Canbus is. Fortunately 156's didn't have it, as far as I know it generally came in around 147. Having had 3 156 GTA's with one of them being a track car, life would have been much, much harder if they had been CAN.

I think in some ways it is why I dropped the GTA track car and went back to the 33 - amongst other reasons.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

147 , alfadiag , rear , windows