1500 ie CONVERSION TO CARBS - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 28-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Balzan

Member car:

166 v6

Hi there just bought a 94 33 1.5 ie, which I intend to use as a donor car to get my sud back on the track. I intend to use the engine which still sounds healthy, but would like to convert to carbs. I have a broken 1500 carb engine. Is this job difficult to do ? Since I've got an old carb engine, have I got all the parts or do I still need shopping !

How can I get some more power out of it without any massive bills ? Appsrsntley its the 103 bhp model, How much more would I get out of it if I ported the heads and got a pair of Weber 40's on it ? I have a pair of L1 cams..........can I just put them on with the standard heads ?

Its been 20 years since I've played with my alfas ,but def want to bring it back to life.

I'm looking for a 130bhp. Am I being greedy with the above idea ?

What else can I take off the 33 to use on the Sud ?

cheers boys,

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: -
The best and cheapest way to get 130bhp is to fit a 1.7 16v. To take a 1.5 8v to 130hp is costly.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Converting engine to carb is quite easy , i did it on my 1.7. You will need the carbs of course along with the manifolds and the connecting rod between them. Also you need to switch back to mechanical fuel pump which you will remove from old engine and put it on the Ie one unless you have an electrical one but regulated for carb pressure.

Now , 125 - 130 hp are achievable only with cams , Colombo Bariani especially or similar but they are not cheap and they need other expensive stuff in order to be properly tuned......

Is the 1.5 with mech tappets or Hydraulics? If the 2nd then it is not worth it as it might be the version with 90hp with milder cams...

Sprint 1.7 '85

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

1500 , carbs , conversion