What to do with a 1.7 16v and where to find a crossmember - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 18-12-13 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Bedfordshire
What to do with a 1.7 16v and where to find a crossmember

Hi all,

I should be picking up a 1.7 16v engine from a 146 on the 27th. I'm intending to swap it out for the 1.5 in one of my Minaris. For this of course, I require a 16v cross member. Does anybody have an idea of where I can obtain one? Or does anybody on here have a spare that they could be persuaded to part with?

Now, the 16V engine does need a rebuild before I can put it in the car. Whilst I'm there I figure I may as well make a few well chosen modifications. I'd like to increase the capacity of the block but preferably without spending 4k at AHM for the 2L kit (no matter how much I want it). Is there anywhere I can get a set of considerably oversized pistons for a reasonable price? Are the pistons from any other motors compatible? How far can you go in removing meat from the block? I wouldn't mind going to 1800cc or similar. Are there any other mods that are worth doing and aren't going to cost me a fortune? I don't really want to spend more then 2k~ building the engine and I'd like it to last a while (it's going in a road car).

I'm intending to do some basic porting as well just to smooth them down a bit. I'm also intending to fit a mega squirt so I can more easily adjust the fuelling. Does anybody have a base map for the engine?

Your advice is much appreciated!

Bikes: GSXR 400 Gk73a, Kawasaki ZX7R
Cars: Two 1.5 Minari Road Sport Mk2's and a 1.7 16v Minari RSR

My Minari Blog

Last edited by computid; 18-12-13 at 19:03.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Somerset

Member car:

156GTA & 33racer

I have a spare decent 16v crossmember in my garage - if you would like. Happy to parcel up and send it to you.

Can also advise on some of the other stuff.

If you send me a PM I can let you know some details for the crossmember…. Would need to check postage costs etc….

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 33, Sud & Sprint

16v , crossmember , find